• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

    October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

    Register Now!

  • Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

    Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

    JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

    Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

    LEARN MORE

Diagnose me.

ForceField

Impervious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2002
238
0
0
I don't know what the deal is. It's been 2 weeks after our Spring Break (I'm an M1)... and I've been sleeping for so freaking long each day. I sleep 10-12 hours, and then during the day I'm groggy. I've missed tons of class (not the biggest deal), but I've never slept this much. I'm not depressed, I feel fine, but I don't understand why all of a sudden my body wants all this extra sleep. How can I go back to a normal 6-8 hours?!

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
 
About the Ads

Flack Pinku

U lookin at my glasses??
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2002
2,033
0
0
Vacationing
Olanzapine--dagg yo, you might scare the op off. :D

Anyway, what you're feeling is normal. Do you notice anything BUT sleepiness during the day and long time sleeping during night? If so, go talk to your doctor... they're probably nothing but the fact you're tired.

But as Olanzapine said, anyone of those things could be the case, but hypothyroidism and anemia are rare, unless your diet is bad or you have other conditions...
 

the big wand

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2004
109
0
0
71
What's your physical exam (HR, RR, BP, heart sound, chest sound)?

Any weight loss (tumor?)
Family history of diabetes?
Many endocrine disorders can produce fatigue.
Drink too much coffee?
Taking any medication?
Any infections? TB?
Do exercise regularly?
What time do you sleep at night and when do you take naps?
How do you feel about your condition?
How is your school? No stress? Or, just don't care?
 

ForceField

Impervious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2002
238
0
0
Originally posted by the big wand
What's your physical exam (HR, RR, BP, heart sound, chest sound)?

Any weight loss (tumor?)
Family history of diabetes?
Many endocrine disorders can produce fatigue.
Drink too much coffee?
Taking any medication?
Any infections? TB?
Do exercise regularly?
What time do you sleep at night and when do you take naps?
How do you feel about your condition?
How is your school? No stress? Or, just don't care?

HR: 56
RR: 12
BP: 90/60
Don't know about the heart/chest sounds. (They're normal.)

I've weighed the same since about high school. BMI = approximately 22.
Yes, my father has diabetes.
I rarely drink any caffeine.
No medications.
No infections.
Exercise 3-4x/week.
I sleep whenever I get tired... naps usually when it comes time to study. :) I also fall asleep after about 15 minutes of studying.
I don't know, I think something is wrong with my liver. If I eat too many carbos (i.e. footlong subs, 2+ plates of pasta, etc) I fall asleep in 10 min, almost uncontrollable.
School is very low stress right now and I don't care much about the workload.

Tell me what's wrong! :idea:
:sleep::sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
 
About the Ads

Goofyone

Ohhh sexy girlfriend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2002
825
1
0
Neverland ranch
Originally posted by Flack Pinku
Get tested for Epstein-Barr virus... could be Mono like Goofyone said. But then you'd feel infections/vomiting/nausea etc... wouldn't ya?

Of course, go see your Doctor.


"I thought I had mono for a year once. Turned out I was just really bored." - I forget who

Actually I had mono and had the worst 2 months of my life. My primary care doc "diagnosed" me with strep and gave me antibiotics (bastard--I hear it can make the symptoms WORSE and cause a rash), anyway my glands were huge and I had the worst sore throat of my life. Oh yeah, and my spleen was ready to explode too. :)

Slept 14hrs a day, and layed around for the other 10 without so much as the energy to adjust my pillow.

Anyway I think the symptoms are more subtle for some people.
 

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2004
792
3
0
Metropolis
When mono "causes" fatigue sx that last greater then 3 months, it's usually considered a post-infectious chronic fatigue syndrome rather then some pathologic response to the EBV itself. According to one of my attendings, it's not that uncommon to have patients complain of chronic fatigue for a prolonged period after a mono infection too.
 

ForceField

Impervious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2002
238
0
0
I feel perfectly fine though... wasn't ill since perhaps last year. Today I ran 4 miles, did a regular workout, but ultimately I'll probably sleep again for 10 hours and will miss class. Perhaps I just have to fight the sleepiness and get up and fill myself with caffeine. I don't know. :confused:
 

mrmoran

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2004
5
0
0
I hate to say this, but I'd reconsider depression. Alteration in sleep habits, lack of motivation/initiative, inability to concentrate are classis syptoms. I bet you diet has changed as well, probably eating less (decreased appetite) or if not then the composition of your diet has changes (less carbos so when you have a lot it knocks you out).
For what its worth to you though, I'm also a first year and I'm going through the EXACT same thing. Been to one or two classes, still playing lots of basketball, but sleeping pathologically, even though I'm drinking coffee and diet dr pepper instead of water. maybe we just yet to get over the whole back to school thing.
 

DarksideAllstar

you can pay me in bud
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2001
2,151
4
0
West of the Haight
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I went through the exact same thing after Winter break. I attribute mine to burnout.
Anyway, I have a liver path test tomorrow, and every friggin case presents with someone with fatigue.
Any scleral icterus?
Did we get confirmation that there are no swollen/tender nodes?
 

ForceField

Impervious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2002
238
0
0
Originally posted by mrmoran
I hate to say this, but I'd reconsider depression. Alteration in sleep habits, lack of motivation/initiative, inability to concentrate are classis syptoms. I bet you diet has changed as well, probably eating less (decreased appetite) or if not then the composition of your diet has changes (less carbos so when you have a lot it knocks you out).
For what its worth to you though, I'm also a first year and I'm going through the EXACT same thing. Been to one or two classes, still playing lots of basketball, but sleeping pathologically, even though I'm drinking coffee and diet dr pepper instead of water. maybe we just yet to get over the whole back to school thing.

What is depression though? Specifically, because I'm not sad at all. I hang out with my friends on a regular basis. At my med school, the worst of our classes actually finished just before Spring Break. I'm eating the same stuff I've always eaten. I guess I just want a break, but don't really understand how that correlates with so much sleep. Perhaps I'm just catching up on lost sleep during the past school year. :p
 

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
5,633
20
261
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
  1. Attending Physician
ForceField said:
I don't know what the deal is. It's been 2 weeks after our Spring Break (I'm an M1)... and I've been sleeping for so freaking long each day. I sleep 10-12 hours, and then during the day I'm groggy. I've missed tons of class (not the biggest deal), but I've never slept this much. I'm not depressed, I feel fine, but I don't understand why all of a sudden my body wants all this extra sleep. How can I go back to a normal 6-8 hours?!

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Burnout ? ;)
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.