Diastat for Febrile Seizures?

Started by madrigail
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

madrigail

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All,

I wanted to ask this question in this thread as my own research on the practicality of the situation hasn't turned up much.

How often would you peds people use Diastat (valium rectal gel) for prevention of febrile seizures? I just finished 1st year med school and my family is using me as an info source....

My 2 yr old niece just had a 2nd episode of febrile seizure accompanying a viral gastroenteritis and her pedi gave her a script for Diastat. What research I've done seems to indicate that it's mostly for those kids with epileptic seizures who aren't being adequately controlled on oral meds. Though, I did see a mention of this med used as a prophylactic for febrile seizures in a few scant articles.

What's your opinion?
 
diastat is usually used to stop a seizure that is lasting for more then a few minutes
 
Since she had her second "febrile seizure" the pediatrician COULD be thinking:

a. Maybe these are epileptic seizures, and therefore

b. lets stop the next one if it goes over five minutes with diastat.


It's exceedingly rare for a child to have three true febrile seizures.