Dick Vet 4 year vs 5 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You should check out the previous cycle's Edinburgh thread! A lot of information is posted about the pet travel schemes. Also, you might want to read through the travel scheme before you get the vaccines and microchip. They are very specific about which vaccines and microchips to get and in what order to do them in (timing is very important). It's really overwhelming to think about it all!
My vet told me to expect to pay $500-700 to prepare everything for a dog. The rabies titers are expensive from what I hear.The plane tickets I've seen for dogs are very expensive. If I lived on the East coast, I would definitely take the Queen Mary II instead of a plane. Much more fun, comparable in price, and much more pet friendly travel. I don't know about the costs for cats but I imagine that it is very similar in overall cost. :\

Members don't see this ad.

I have to do my research on this a bit more, but I believe the regulations for bringing pets to the UK has softened down to the rest of the EU standard, so it's not as strict as it was until last year. At least, that's my understanding. I'm very unaware of the cost though, I was assuming cost would simply be the vaccines, the PE, and the flight fee which my assumption was that it would cost much less than people.

Will be microchipping and vaccinating my cat tomorrow. My issue is I want to go back home to Japan first before the big move to Scotland. Am considering leaving my cat with my mom until next year...bringing in a pet to two different countries within a couple months seems a bit too harsh for my cat, and the specific regulations may deny my cat entry.

I will be traveling from Greece in July, so it will much easier, as I will be in the EU. Nonetheless, I know that the UK has strict rules when it comes to pets traveling from abroad. I am working at an Animal Welfare organisation, and we constantly send stray animals in Europe, so I can see all the details and let you know.

As for my cat, I don't want to put her through the stress of traveling.. she has traveled a lot in her life. But still, its hard! Anyway, I don't want to be selfish, I have to weight everything and see what is best for her. Overall, it will be a lot easier for me with no pets while studying, because I tend to travel a lot.

You should check out the previous cycle's The rabies titers are expensive from what I hear.

Just jumping into the Edinburgh thread from Glasgow to help out: the Pets Travel Scheme has changed this year. Rabies titers are no longer required from the US!! :)

"After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date. The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is 21 days after the first vaccination date. A waiting period is not required for subsequent entries into the UK, provided rabies boosters are kept up to date. If the vaccination is in two parts the 21 day wait will be from the date of the second vaccination." -- from DEFRA

further info:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/#a

I didn't bring my cat to Scotland, but my friend brought her two cats and did all the paperwork herself (no travel agent) and it cost just over $2,000. Another classmate brought her two cats over after school started and had a travel agent do the work which cost just under $3,000.

It can be quite pricey, but the elimination of the titers will save a couple hundred dollars. I would really think about whether or not you plan to stay here for breaks. I plan on going back to the US to do EMS over summers and didn't want to leave my cat with a petsitter for 2+ months. So she is staying in the States with my parents.

If anyone has any questions on Scotland, feel free to ask :) It's fantastic over here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just jumping into the Edinburgh thread from Glasgow to help out: the Pets Travel Scheme has changed this year. Rabies titers are no longer required from the US!! :)

Holy Cow!!!! You gotta be kidding me? Well, thanks for the info and sorry for the bad info on my part! That is huge, not only the price break, but the time is the worst part of it. It was a nightmare for me...

Wow, I'm speechless.

I would definitely take the Queen Mary II instead of a plane. Much more fun, comparable in price, and much more pet friendly travel. I don't know about the costs for cats but I imagine that it is very similar in overall cost. :\

Lol...it's fun unless your dog gets very sick :eek: Wouldn't eat or drink and dehydrated at 6 pounds with about 4 days at sea left. Human docs were appalled that I wanted to do Sub-Q fluids and refused saying 'that won't work and it's dangerous' :laugh: The ship let me call my vet for free and the MD director would still not help me. I had to take him down to the human sick bay to see him and when my dog licked a drop of water off of his finger, he said 'he's fine'. Thank GOD another passenger had some antibiotics for her pooch and it did the job for mine. A ship employee met me every couple of hours to open up the kennel so i could syringe water/electrolytes into my little guy. I think I lost 10 pounds on the cruise! Not having a vet on board is scary, but I think they told me I was the first major issue like that.. Of course.

If all goes well, it's a great way to go. Kennels fill up very early - about a year in advance. Kennels for my dogs were about 500 a piece, i believe. Cat should be the same. The cruise was not too bad for two people to go Transatlantic (I took my Dad). It's an experience and you can pretty much take as much luggage as you want!! I filled up our stateroom and the balcony!

If anyone has specific questions about the QM2, please feel free to PM me. I've been on the ship twice now and have a great cruise travel agent who knows the ins and outs of getting a kennel. I turned other classmates on to her and at least one is booked for this summer to bring her two dogs over. She stays on top of the kennel reservation process, which is crucial.

Edit: I just had to change avatar to boys in their QM2 coats on deck. Coats and photo shoot with owners was included in price :D

Last edited:

"After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date. The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is 21 days after the first vaccination date. A waiting period is not required for subsequent entries into the UK, provided rabies boosters are kept up to date. If the vaccination is in two parts the 21 day wait will be from the date of the second vaccination." -- from DEFRA

further info:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/#a

I didn't bring my cat to Scotland, but my friend brought her two cats and did all the paperwork herself (no travel agent) and it cost just over $2,000. Another classmate brought her two cats over after school started and had a travel agent do the work which cost just under $3,000.

It can be quite pricey, but the elimination of the titers will save a couple hundred dollars. I would really think about whether or not you plan to stay here for breaks. I plan on going back to the US to do EMS over summers and didn't want to leave my cat with a petsitter for 2+ months. So she is staying in the States with my parents.

If anyone has any questions on Scotland, feel free to ask :) It's fantastic over here!

Ah-ha, yes yes that's where I found the info! I'm glad I didn't just hallucinate it.

Hey, has anyone been able to get a hold of Victoria in the last week or 2? I sent her an e-mail about the conditions I may have to face and need to know pronto a couple days ago and yet to receive a reply.

I ended up dropping Physics so I'd have to gain more vet experience hours (I am very sure they will ask me to gain some cattle/large animal/equine experience since I have none as of now). So if the condition is something like "get B's in two courses in the spring semester you are planning to take"...well then I hope I can work something out with her. Like, take that extra course during the summer or something.
So happy about the acceptance, but I am having a strange anxiety-attack. I feel like this is just too good to be real and it could slip away with just one silly mistake. Anyone else feeling something similar to this?

I'm surprised that she hasn't gotten back to you yet. She's usually so prompt with responses! You can call her around 1am CA time or later (about 4am East coast time onward) which is 9am their time. I use skype credits to call them as my phone doesn't make international calls. It's very cheap and you can use it on your smart phone (skype app is awesome!) or computer.
She is so sweet and helpful that I generally would rather stay up late and call than email. You should definitely contact her about the physics class. If you want to be there a few weeks before term starts, you might not have enough time to take a physics class over summer. It might be more important to finish that class because they accepted you without the hours but with the expectation that you were going to complete the physics class (if you listed it in your app). I'm only speculating but I would make sure. Calling her on the phone is really your best bet. Instant and direct answers. :)
p.s. OT, but I'm glad the pet laws changed to our benefit!

Is anyone going to the NYC reception in two weeks? I know this was asked in the UK school thread but just in case anyone missed it. I got the confirmation email about it today. Apparently Professor Brendan Corcoran, Dr Neil Hudson and Victoria will all be there. Any feedback about these guys from current Dick vet students?

I don't know much yet about the final rundown about people getting accepted and late applicants won't know until later next week or the week after going by experience. Dr. Corcoran and Hudson are great, really nice guys to meet. I hope they do not show the pie eating contest we held today at the vet school at your reception, that would be quite embarrassing:eek:. For those of you who are going to reception, probably be best to save questions until then and ask the Docs personally. Hope you guys enjoy the reception, you deserve a big pat on the back for making it this far!!:D

I haven't heard from her either for a week or two

Do we have to email to RSVP to either reception?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but the deadline to RSVP given on my invitation was last Friday. I don't know if that is a strict deadline or not.

I feel like a huge idiot! I read the invite 50xs and I still didn't see that. Wow.

I feel like a huge idiot! I read the invite 50xs and I still didn't see that. Wow.
It happens to all of us. I can recap some of the interesting stuff I learn on here for you guys after I go if you want. I would still email her and ask if you could still RSVP, it seems like a pretty informal thing.

I emailed her about something trivial a while back and she didn't get back to me so I emailed the same thing again and she got back right away. I don't know if she didn't get the first email or was just annoyed enough by the second email to respond.

I'm surprised that she hasn't gotten back to you yet. She's usually so prompt with responses! You can call her around 1am CA time or later (about 4am East coast time onward) which is 9am their time. I use skype credits to call them as my phone doesn't make international calls. It's very cheap and you can use it on your smart phone (skype app is awesome!) or computer.
She is so sweet and helpful that I generally would rather stay up late and call than email. You should definitely contact her about the physics class. If you want to be there a few weeks before term starts, you might not have enough time to take a physics class over summer. It might be more important to finish that class because they accepted you without the hours but with the expectation that you were going to complete the physics class (if you listed it in your app). I'm only speculating but I would make sure. Calling her on the phone is really your best bet. Instant and direct answers. :)
p.s. OT, but I'm glad the pet laws changed to our benefit!

Hi! My official packet was sitting by the door when I arrived home from work today. Turns out I DO have to take Physics so I'm e-mailing my professor to ask to enroll me back lol I feel sooo stupid for prematurely dropping it. Good thing is I only missed 1 class and she puts lecture notes on blackboard so I think I'm safe. But otherwise, condition was for me to get "B's in O Chem 2, Bio Chem and Physics".
Oh, and apparently they think I'm not a native speaker because they're asking me to take an English language placement test. I've been speaking English since I was 5...I don't think I need a ESL test. I don't mind taking a test but I do mind if it's going to be extra hassle.

Think I'll have to take Bio Chem in the summer course since I will be overwhelmed if I take 3 courses this sem. since I am already working full time.

Anybody else received there official packet from Edinburgh yet?

Oh, been checking this out during work today:
http://www.allheart.com/2200-16.html#i

Am I the only one who thinks the rainbow chest piece is awesome?

...talk about counting the chickens before the eggs have hatched!

I wish my packet came! :(
I do like the rainbow one! I get so ridiculously giddy when I think about this all. Even a rainbow stethoscope. ;)

Wait, you guys got rainbow chest pieces? All I got was a welcome packet and telling me to pay a 1,500 pound deposit. I guess I wasn't special enough to receive such an elusive item! Oh well, I get my "special" gift next week, my exam results for Pathology and Clinical Foundations Course (because Pharmacology, Anaesthesia, Diagnostic Imaging, and Oncology is all the rage)! Well, I hope you guys enjoy the ceremony/reception in two weeks. It was a good and I did learn quite a bit about the school from the faculty, but nothing beats a students perspective on things;)!

Turns out I DO have to take Physics

Yann, I would definitely call and check on this. I have a feeling that they put you had to receive a B in all those classes (including physics) because that is what you said you are taking. I am fairly certain that Edin doesn't require physics. We had people in our class who never had physics or o-chem.

Is anyone going to the NYC reception in two weeks? I know this was asked in the UK school thread but just in case anyone missed it. I got the confirmation email about it today. Apparently Professor Brendan Corcoran, Dr Neil Hudson and Victoria will all be there. Any feedback about these guys from current Dick vet students?

The reception is fabulous! Prof Corcoran and Dr. Hudson were hysterical. Hudson was my crush too :D

It is nice to meet other students before going, get a really good overview of the school and program and get to ask any and all questions. I would highly suggest attending, if you can. It makes it all very real :scared:

How many of you ladies and gents are heading to the Edinburgh reception (either SF or NYC)? I also have heard some of you also got into RVC and are heading to that one to. Either way, both are good schools and will get you to the same common goal, so congrats again! Dr. Corcoran is great and funny guy. I could only imagine the insanity that would ensue if Dr. Argyle (new Head of School) was there. I guess he would have to tone down his sense of humor....:mad:, or not!!:laugh:!

Yann, I would definitely call and check on this. I have a feeling that they put you had to receive a B in all those classes (including physics) because that is what you said you are taking. I am fairly certain that Edin doesn't require physics. We had people in our class who never had physics or o-chem.

flyhi, I did put in my application that I was taking all these courses, because I was also applying to Glasgow and RVC that requires them. You're right; I'm contacting Victoria to dig a little deeper. They also advised me to put 1-2 weeks of large animal experience, but at least this semester that is going to be impossible with my schedule of work and school.

I wish I could attend the reception!! I've already booked for the Glasgow interview so I'll be in NYC from the 5th. If only I knew sooner, I would have booked my flight from the 2nd instead. Hope you guys have fun without me, and do post here how it was, what you learned etc!!

They also advised me to put 1-2 weeks of large animal experience, but at least this semester that is going to be impossible with my schedule of work and school.

I also had this on my conditions and did not do it. They never asked about it, either. It was only advised, like you said, and not required.

The reception is fabulous! Prof Corcoran and Dr. Hudson were hysterical. Hudson was my crush too :D

All of the ladies love Hudson! I don't entirely get it, but he is an awesome lecturer. We had him today in fact! We have Corcoran in the morning too :) They are great at the reception... they make fun of each other a lot. It's very light hearted yet informative. I highly suggest going if you can!

I could only imagine the insanity that would ensue if Dr. Argyle (new Head of School) was there. I guess he would have to tone down his sense of humor....:mad:, or not!!:laugh:!

:laugh: I would pay to see that!

Did you guys see the email from Victoria with the slideshow ppt? It is so beautiful in Edinburgh! I can't wait to get out there!

I also had this on my conditions and did not do it. They never asked about it, either. It was only advised, like you said, and not required.

I'm currently negotiating whether I can skip Biochem, but seems like they want me to go ahead and take Physics since I don't have a science degree and want to make sure I can handle it. It makes sense.

bigkittinteef, I didn't receive any slideshow ppt from Victoria! But I have googled images of Edinburgh and it looks beautiful. My friend, who's really well-traveled and lived in different parts of the world used to live in Edinburgh for a couple years and said it was one of her top 3 favorite city she ever lived. She really emphasized on how friendly the Scots are.

I'm happy to email it to anyone that did not receive it. I've been drooling over it all day. :)

Well of course! :) PM me your email and I'll send it over!

Not to worry, you will get a wonderful slideshow of the city and the many things you can do in Edinburgh, within Scotland, and the UK as a whole, besides studying your ass (arse) off. The reception was good, but there were still a few things that left me scratching my head like the bank situation, choosing one when I got here was a little bit of a chore. Obtaining a VISA....:mad:, read the directions several times and had to go back to the DHS shipping store to sort out what I had, or missing in my case. Apply for your VISA THREE MONTHS BEFORE YOUR START OF CLASS DATE, the officers seem to take this very seriously. I think a lot of the information you seek will be answered by the professors plus you have a lot of info on this forum to probably ease your minds a but what is in store for you when you get here. When you go to the reception, someone has got to say, "I came here to see Dr. Argyle!" I am sure you will get an interesting response from the speakers on that day.

Not to worry, you will get a wonderful slideshow of the city and the many things you can do in Edinburgh, within Scotland, and the UK as a whole, besides studying your ass (arse) off. The reception was good, but there were still a few things that left me scratching my head like the bank situation, choosing one when I got here was a little bit of a chore. Obtaining a VISA....:mad:, read the directions several times and had to go back to the DHS shipping store to sort out what I had, or missing in my case. Apply for your VISA THREE MONTHS BEFORE YOUR START OF CLASS DATE, the officers seem to take this very seriously. I think a lot of the information you seek will be answered by the professors plus you have a lot of info on this forum to probably ease your minds a but what is in store for you when you get here. When you go to the reception, someone has got to say, "I came here to see Dr. Argyle!" I am sure you will get an interesting response from the speakers on that day.
Thanks for the advice! As ever, it is greatly appreciated. If I am feeling gutsy, I will act dismayed at Argyle's absence. :)
I have a question. Do you recommend knocking off some EMS weeks with previous experience (assuming it is approved)? Or is it better to get that kind of experience for networking and such? I have so much experience that I am sure I could get the 4 preliminary weeks waived but if you think it is a very valuable part of the experience, I won't. I just get the impression that it's just an added stress on top of the already tough course load. What are your thoughts on this Dick vets?

If you have the time ow, why not do it before you get there? If you wish to, I bet you could still find a place to work at while everyone else is doing their EMS.

What are my thoughts? What do I know, I am just a Royal Dick!! Any who, if you have experience (as long as it is husbandry type work) such as doing time at a local shelter, horse husbandry work on a farm, exotics, and etc. It cannot be with a veterinarian. Your list will state one week of dogs/cats, two weeks equine, two weeks of lambing/sheep (one must be done in the UK), two weeks cattle (again one week of dairy must be done in the UK), one week poultry, one week of swine, one week of small animals (rabbits, rodents, chinchillas, and etc.) and two weeks of a free choice (whatever floats your boat). I did six weeks of work before I came to the UK because I really did not have much pre-clinical EMS, most of my time was spent shadowing vets. If you have experience, you can get up to four weeks worth of exemptions, but the school is a little tougher on these, but most people got them accepted anyway. You are allowed up to six weeks worth of doing EMS altogether (so 4 weeks exemptions and 2 weeks of doing actual work before you head to Edinburgh or you can do six weeks of work if you have the time without trying to do an exemption which I did that route). Be wary, you will be filling out these wonderful report forms that can be a pain in the ass (Sheep and Dairy suck). Make sure you get the info from the farmer or manager while you are there. It is worth your time if you have some to spare to go out and do EMS work because managers of shelters and farmers do like it when you help out with daily operations and show an interest in what goes on from the non-clinical side of veterinary medicine. The farmers in poultry and Lambing placement loved it when I came because I never did it before and I just jumped at every opportunity I had to work with animals such as.....Llynn Sheep, but with chickens, peacocks, and ostriches at the poultry farm I worked at. It certainly gives you more experience and looks great with the farmers and your CV/resume. I would hold off with sheep until you get here in Edinburgh and do your lambing placement here in the UK because most farmers want you at there farm for at least two weeks. I also suggest doing your lambing placement in the first two weeks of Easter break so you can actually have time to study for your AWAHFS exam (lambing is truly a lot of work)!! Free choice is up to you, I would use one of those weeks to do something interesting and neat. I did one week at the Edinburgh Zoo and that had to be the best pre-clinical EMS placement I had in my first year! Certainly try to find some work if you have the time, certainly great for the experience. I will end of this reply with a great Dr. Argyle quote, "You guys learned about orthropaedic medicine eh. Well here is my thoughts on it. If you put up a shelf, then you can do orthropaedic medicine." :laugh: One of the Orthropaedic surgeons heard about his quote and in our practical he stated, "Well, at least all my patients live after treatment." :smuggrin:

Thanks for the advice! As ever, it is greatly appreciated. If I am feeling gutsy, I will act dismayed at Argyle's absence. :)
I have a question. Do you recommend knocking off some EMS weeks with previous experience (assuming it is approved)? Or is it better to get that kind of experience for networking and such? I have so much experience that I am sure I could get the 4 preliminary weeks waived but if you think it is a very valuable part of the experience, I won't. I just get the impression that it's just an added stress on top of the already tough course load. What are your thoughts on this Dick vets?

As a GEP you get one year to complete 12 weeks of EMS, where 5 years get 2 - so IMO, get as much done before you get here as you can (6 weeks being the max you can get before starting school). I think the connections/networking done while on clinical EMS will be far more important anyway. Trust me, you will be thankful you did it in the end.

So this was posted on the UK thread and pretty much scared the **** out of me. Is this true? One spay/neuter? No real surgery experience? I want to specialize in something like internal medicine or orthopedics. What the hell? I really thought I could expect a lot more from a school as renowned as Edinburgh. Please tell me they are changing this by the time we get there. :(

"So I don't come on here much, but I will post a few things about my school to help any prospectants. If you post a bunch of questions after, I may not get round to answering them for a few weeks-months really! I'll try to be comprehensive. I am in my 3rd out of 4 years (did the graduate entry program) here at Edinburgh.

The city and country are beautiful. If you are a person that is not prone to getting homesick you will do just fine being away. There are endless opportunities to travel cheaply to do veterinary related things or just for fun. It is an adjustment at first, moving to a different country, but give yourself a year at least to fully appreciate things. We all went through phases of regret coming here, as well as pure gratitude and excitement about our choice.

The university has its pros and cons just like every school. I came here not because I didn't get offers from state schools (I got two), but because it was actually my cheapest option and I had visited the school before I accepted and liked it. I also recently noticed that the tuition is now 26,400 pounds a year! Even at the current exchange rate (which is historically good) that is very expensive. When I started my tuition was fixed at 20,900 pounds a year- which works out on average to about $33,000 per year (which compared to what I would have payed at Penn or Tufts as OOS is much less). Anyway, I still feel that when I tell people where I go to school, they assume I wasn't smart enough to get into school in the states. I wish I could shake that feeling, but truthfully many people do come here because they didn't get an offer in the states. I guess I just have to get over that!

Academically, things can be weird. From what I hear state-side, most vet students are in class like 8-4 or 9-5. We have some days like that, but usually its more like 4-5 hours of class per day (sometimes more, sometimes less). They do not teach you everything you need to know always, you really have to take it upon yourself to do outside/additional reading like they tell you to, and not just memorize your notes. There is a reason we usually have a few extra hours off each day.

Your first year of 'EMS' is animal husbandry- some of this is useful, and some of it is the worst experience ever and a waste of time. My dairy experience was very good and helpful since I didn't have any hands on experience with cattle before, and lambing is a blast as well, although no one in the states will care that you lambed 300 ewes in the middle of the night by yourself. My poultry experience consisted of a week of collecting eggs basically. Biggest waste of time ever. After first year, you move onto 'clinical EMS'- in other words, externships. Whenever I did an externship in 2nd year or this year, which I mostly did in the states, some vets kept assuming I was in my final year when I had only just started my clinical years and basically only knew my anatomy and physiology and little bit of anesthesia and surgery or whatever. I'm sure these vets thought I was an idiot because I didn't know anything clinical at the time. So make sure you are clear about your experience so far!

Also, there is a huge age range of people at school, so you are not just with 19-20 year olds. There are plenty of British students that do a vet degree as their second degree too. However, the 19-20 year olds are immature, even for that age, and often incredibly annoying. No point in sugar coating it!

A few things I wish I had known before coming:
Many Americans don't know where Edinburgh is, let alone whether it has a good vet school or not. It is a good vet school, it will get you to pass your NAVLE, but often there will be a stigma attached to you, AVMA accredited or not.

You will graduate in late June of your final year. State schools graduate their students in May. Therefore, you are out of the running for many internships your first year after graduation. Competitive internships get more applicants than they know what to do with, and they are not going to go out of their way to give you a later start date and let you miss orientation unless they REALLY, REALLY like you. Additionally, they don't use class rank or GPA here, which are often important criteria in selecting interns at many places. You get number grades, and a transcript, but it probably won't make much sense to the selection committees in the states. If they see a 75 average (which is an A here), they may think you are a terrible student and it's an extra hassle to have to send along an explanation of grades with your application. I just think it's difficult for them to compare you well enough to US students applying.

If you do not have a realistic idea of what your monthly loan payments will be after graduation, and what your starting salary will be, do not commit to vet school period. You really need to work this out before you go.

The school is AVMA accredited, yes. They make every effort to teach you about things you need to know for work in America. However, the program is ultimately geared toward working in Britain, and you don't have lectures on practice management, legislative things, and a handful of other things. Obviously, you can learn this stuff on your own though and something like 95-100% of people that take the NAVLE here pass it. It would just be easier if we knew what exactly was different/missing from the curriculum.

If you are seriously interested in equine, I don't know that I would come here. We don't have a huge caseload- however, we do have some fantastic equine professors (Paddy Dixon!). Just a heads up.

There is no neurology or ophthalmology rotation in final year- you get tutorials and a few practicals on them in final year, but that's it.

Importantly, a lot of your practical experience is dished out to 'EMS.' Great if you find good placements, crappy if you don't. I got to do a lot of neutering on EMS, but not everyone else does- and you get to do ONE spay/neuter in final year and that's it. And during the small animal surgery course, there is not much of a lab component. The only surgery labs we have are on surgical principles like suturing, gowning, gloving, etc. They don't even give you cadavers to practice on. I think the education you get on surgery here is therefore minimal at best. I just don't think listening to lectures on how to do surgeries and scrubbing in on difficult surgeries in final year in any way prepares you to do them on your own. Our surgery experience does not even compare to that students at Iowa State get for example.

Americans are here because the school gets money from them. All the students know this, and it seems like some of the British students really resent that sometimes. We all get along pretty well, but don't assume the school accepts Americans for any other reason than that.

So I realize a lot of this is negative (oops!), but on the plus side: most of my friends that graduated last year now have jobs at what seem to be nice practices. The few that applied to internships matched somewhere (I think it was only like 4 or 5 people though). The professors are great, you will gain invaluable life perspective living outside the insulated box that is the United States, the small animal hospital is really nice (Glasgow's may be nicer for the person that asked- but do a cheaper 4 year program PLEASE!), they are well aware of all the obstacles North Americans face coming to vet school here and are very helpful, you get to travel, the city is beautiful and the novelty has never worn away for me, and you definitely have more time off in final year than most schools!

I struggled a lot with whether I made the right decision or not, and have constantly compared myself and my degree to those state-side for the past 2 and a half years. My conclusion has been that vet school is what you make of it, and if you study hard and don't flit around with your extra time off, you will be just as smart and prepared as graduates from other schools in most areas. It all depends on the student and not the school. Really.

So I guess that's all I can think of right now. It is a serious decision, and despite the wealth of info on SDN, there was a lot I still did not know before coming here. I hope some of this helps you with your decision. If I could do it over again, I don't know what I would pick honestly. I value the life experience I have gotten here and all the traveling I have gotten to do in Europe and Asia. In the grand scheme of things, life is short and if you can afford it, it is an amazing place to be and experience. On the other hand, I am pretty type A and wish that I was going to be more prepared and seriously considered for very competitive internships, and from that perspective, I wish I had taken one of my offers from the northeast vet schools. So I guess I really don't know if the grass would be greener on the other side or not- it all depends which way you look at it."

Oh, I didn't read your post here until after I commented on the other thread.

I seriously seriously doubt we only get one spay/neuter experience and pretty much no surgical experience...it states in the brochure that we DO get practical experience in the final year "undertaking clinical rotations in their hospitals and supporting services". In 2nd year (for GEP students, 3rd for 5-year programmes) you "study the clinical course (surgery, diagnosics imaging and pharmacology), veterinary pathology and dog and cat integrated clinical course".

You also get to "incorporate externship and elective periods to allow focus on individual studies", so if internal medicine or orthopedics is what you want to specialize in, they will give you an opportunity for that.

But, I'm not a student there yet, so let's hear something that'll support my claim from current dick vets...

From what I read, a lot of it is true for the most part. Clinical EMS is where you need to get your clinical hands on training as much as possible. I am lucky to have found places that allow me to get hands on training with the animals and be able to build the skills needed to prepare as a veterinarian. You will get opportunities to do some surgeries here at the Dick Vet, but it is best to do an EMS here in the UK which it seems vets (the ones I have spoken to) are more willing to give you a shot and do some of the typical procedures you are meant to do on day one when you graduate. You may have to realizes, when you enter 3rd year (or the second year as a GEP) that you will be in a class of 160-190 students!! This is a big drawback for students as this does not give us time with the staff and some of the major hand-on techniques we could have in school. It is all about EMS during your breaks and the time spent during those breaks on how you develop the clinical skills so finding that right practice makes the difference on how you do in final year and beyond! There is a neuter and spay clinic in Cyprus that students go to work on neuter and spays which helps a lot. Don't get me wrong, some vets in the states have no idea what it is like with vet schools in the UK and think it is another "Carribean" type school. The vets I personally know and use know about Edinburgh and think it is a fantastic school and know it is considered the Cornell of Europe in terms of veterinary schools. To my fellow students, the staff (especially Dr. Argyle), this feels like a slap in the face when we are considered "Carribean"!! Hey, Ross and St. George's are AVMA accredited now, so who actually cares anyway. Some vets out here in the UK have their own choice opinions on American Vet Schools and feel if it isn't a Cornell, UPenn, Colorado St., or Tufts, well then the rest of the vet schools there get that same stigma as well here in the UK. Here is the deal, vet school is vet school. Edinburgh, London, Glasgow, and the rest of the AVMA accredited schools have their strengths and weaknesses. You are vet in the end and that is all that matters. We are not as fortunate to have clinical practice in surgery as American vet schools do. We get a lot of experience in the husbandry of animals in the first year which American vet schools assume you have from undergrad. The lectures I am sure are the same everywhere. We learn what we need to know for the NAVLE. EMS is really a good way to ensure students get their clinical training from other vets and learn from them and possibly adopt their techniques for our benefit. American schools don't do EMS because, well, they have more opportunities for students to get their hands on surgery prep at the school's facility. We have facilities just as nice to, don't get me wrong, but we have a huge class size which makes things a bit difficult for staff to give us that personal training. The students have their option to do what they want during breaks which could make them lazy and not do anything during the summer, but I doubt a vet student would do nothing during a break. EMS gets you out there in a practice and keep building on what we know from lectures and apply them to practice. It feels really good when you can take the history, do a clinical exam, chose and perform the diagnostic tests, list a DDx, pick the diagnosis, and chose the correct Tx under the watch of a veterinarian. Makes you feel proud that the education and training starts to pay off and I was able to do a little bit of that last year at the practice my family uses to take our own and foster Shiba Inus. You can't get discouraged about the negatives. Each prospective student must make a choice about what will be best for their future and which school is right for him/herself.

Oh yeah, you will get a spay/neuter rotation as well during your final year and there will be one whole day dedicated to you doing dental work besides the occasional dental here and there during your rotations. If you really want to get engaged in a specific field, ask a staff member and they will try to allocate a week or two of EMS work for you to do it. Plus you have elective work as well in final year to get more hands in a specific field of your interest. Again, EMS is where you want to get a solid gain in your clinical skills. Don't think that because you have not gotten any clinical practice in school during the pre-clinical years, you are F***ed. That is what EMS is for!! There is a packet that you send to the veterinarian that explains what the student is needed to do at the practice and what they should be able to do based on what year you have finished your programme. I will be done with third year by the end of May. I should know how to do all the basics of doing a clinical exam, taking a history, doing diagnostic tests, interpreting a lab report, making a DDx, chose the correct Dx, and selecting a Tx!! I should have in theory how to do some of the basic surgeries such as a orchiectomy, ovariohysterectomy, correcting a haematoma, and a few other surgeries. I will be doing some of those during my EMS on Easter Break with the vets here in the UK. The school will not let you crash and burn. There will be a time when you get to do these surgeries, it maybe a bit tougher with the amount of students compared to state schools, but you will get the opportunity. I am saying try to find a vet during your EMS to get such an opportunity!!

Last edited:
Passed the dreaded Clinical Foundation Course exam :D as well as Pathology :cool:!! For future Royal Dicks, this will be the biggest sigh of relief you will have throughout your pre-clinical years!! SO FREAKIN HAPPY!!

No one has really said they are going to the NYC reception tomorrow but maybe I'll see some of you there. I can recap interesting things I find out if you want, for anyone who can't make it. Anyone at the San Fran reception yesterday?

Unfortunately I won't be able to go, so any interested info/news would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Congrats Dickvetman! and thank you for your help as always!

The reception was superb. It blew the RVC reception out of the water. The food and venue quality made me feel important and the info provided was wonderful. The facilities were actually shown in more depth (equine hospital and husbandry barns look amazing). Class setup and materials were explained (very exciting). The teachers were hilarious and Victoria was so sweet and down to earth, just like I expected! I'm pretty much set at this point. Edinburgh stole my heart. When the weekend hits, I'll be able to answer any specific questions you may have. I believe they are going to post the reception info sessions on youtube and the ppt slides should be available to you if you ask Victoria. :)

Congrats Dickvetman! and thank you for your help as always!

The reception was superb. It blew the RVC reception out of the water. The food and venue quality made me feel important and the info provided was wonderful. The facilities were actually shown in more depth (equine hospital and husbandry barns look amazing). Class setup and materials were explained (very exciting). The teachers were hilarious and Victoria was so sweet and down to earth, just like I expected! I'm pretty much set at this point. Edinburgh stole my heart. When the weekend hits, I'll be able to answer any specific questions you may have. I believe they are going to post the reception info sessions on youtube and the ppt slides should be available to you if you ask Victoria. :)

Yay!!! Brendan Corchran (the Irish professor) is hysterical and definitely helped me to make my final decision last year. I absolutely love this school and this city; I have not ever regretted my decision. I feel bad when I post here because I am definitely biased :p

After visiting the university during the Open Day (Jan. 25th), I have to agree that this Veterinary Medicine Uni. is one of the best compared to what I have seen so far. I can compare it to some universities in the States that I visited three years ago. I was amazed by the new building, it has everything a veterinary student can ask for; the latest technology. The hospitals were nice as well, and I liked the fact that everything was in the same campus!

That is so encouraging Packen! Maybe you and/or DickVetMan can show us newbies around when we manage to cross the pond! :)

Pitsounia, I'm so happy you shared that with us. I wish I could go beforehand but it just doesn't look doable right now. I'm glad to know that you are excited about the facilities!

Whenever I am around the city, sure I would be more than happy to show the newbies/young lads and lassies around. There are A LOT of things to do in Edinburgh alone and those of you GEP's are lucky!! Fringe Festival and you guys get the lecture building all to yourselves for Most of August and September (final year's start coming back in late August). Best places to eat, pubs to drink, and clubs to get smashed......hey, in vet school here in Edinburgh, its study hard and play hard!!:D:thumbup: If I pass all my exams this year, I won't be back until September 13th and with serious jet lag. Plus, the bowling league another student and I started is finally being formed into an intra-mural league so Royal Dicks can brag that we started a new sports league at the university!!! :D Well, got to go, because Tramps like us, baby we were born to ruuuuuun!!!!!

The NYC reception was really well done and had a surprisingly large turnout in my opinion, definitely more than I was expecting. I was glad to see more photos of the new facility. The profs were really funny and made fun of each other the whole time. I thought it was funny one prof was an Aussie, the other an Irishman, and Victoria is British, but they still couldn't stop talking about how awesome Scotland and the school are. It made me want to start packing my bags to leave now, even though I have two US school interviews and need to finish my undergrad first!

Most of the things they talked about have been mentioned here but there were a few things I was unaware of. To stay in the dorms before finding other accommodations you pay per night. You need to find accommodations before opening a bank account. We will receive a student mentor in march even if you haven't accepted the offer. We are eligible for health care in the UK while attending school. And the financial guarantee form is pretty informal, it is jut meant to make you think about the monetary commitment you are about to make, they can't actually check to make sure you can afford tuition.

And they gave a shout out to SDN as a good source of info! Hope this is helpful to anyone who couldn't make either reception.

Sheepdogpsu, thanks for the info! Did you by any chance find out the reason why you have to find accommodations before opening a bank account?

Sheepdogpsu, thanks for the info! Did you by any chance find out the reason why you have to find accommodations before opening a bank account?

I guess in the bank application process you have to give a UK address for where you live, just like if you were in the US and have to give your personal address before opening an account.

Last edited: