-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Dick Vet 4 year vs 5 year
Started by robert90
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Lloyds is a preferred choice by many students - only takes a few minutes to set up, no charge and you can get one as soon as you have an address. I got there a month before school started since I sailed over and was able to use the address of my short-term rental, which was convenient.
Some of the other banks like HSBC and RBS want you to have like a Scottish Power bill, or something, which would take over a month to get. And, I think they charge for their accounts.
Some of the other banks like HSBC and RBS want you to have like a Scottish Power bill, or something, which would take over a month to get. And, I think they charge for their accounts.
Passed the dreaded Clinical Foundation Course exam 😀 as well as Pathology 😎!! For future Royal Dicks, this will be the biggest sigh of relief you will have throughout your pre-clinical years!! SO FREAKIN HAPPY!!
Congrats!! I heard your class did very well 😀 Good job 👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!! I heard your class did very well 😀 Good job 👍
You heard right--our class did quite well, thankfully!! I miss CFC and path though 🙁 We have started AHWAFS again....
And I agree with flyhi, Lloyds all the way. You can use temporary addresses like the student halls if you choose that route and they have been amazing. I even insure my iPhone and have renter's insurance through them for cheap as well. Don't stress, enjoy your time before you begin vet school and everything will fall into place once you get here!
Thanks you two!
Lloyds is good, Santander also allowed me to use a temporary address and did not give me a hard time setting up my account either. I guess it seems the best two options are Lloyds and Santander, and then everything else.......there's Mastercard!!😀
Apparently it was a little more difficult this year to get bank accounts set up than in the past, because UK banks were becoming more strict about following their own rules. If you are living in student housing (whether temporary or for the year) it is easy to get a letter from the school stating where you live and that you will be studying here for 4-5 years. If you find your own place right from the start, I think all you need is a copy of your lease agreement.
Congrats 3rd years on your exams!!!! ...I hope that doesn't mean next year's exam are going to be impossible though 🙁
Dickvetman...I see you're recruiting for the bowling team already 🙂 Nice job on getting it as an actual intramural sport though!
Like DVM (not sure it that was intentional, but clever if it was) said, except for the GEPs, no one will probably be around until September, but when we get here we would be more than happy to show you around. For those geps that are going to be here during the Festival, look for some free shows. We saw a free comedy show at the top of Aurthur's seat, it was pretty cool.
Oh and enjoy having the school to yourself! We were so sad when we had to start sharing it with all the other students. It definitely took a little adjusting.
Congrats 3rd years on your exams!!!! ...I hope that doesn't mean next year's exam are going to be impossible though 🙁
Dickvetman...I see you're recruiting for the bowling team already 🙂 Nice job on getting it as an actual intramural sport though!
Like DVM (not sure it that was intentional, but clever if it was) said, except for the GEPs, no one will probably be around until September, but when we get here we would be more than happy to show you around. For those geps that are going to be here during the Festival, look for some free shows. We saw a free comedy show at the top of Aurthur's seat, it was pretty cool.
Oh and enjoy having the school to yourself! We were so sad when we had to start sharing it with all the other students. It definitely took a little adjusting.
The whole school to ourselves? mmmmm. 🙂
Random but, what is the "free" healthcare system like? Should I keep my health insurance from over here too?
Random but, what is the "free" healthcare system like? Should I keep my health insurance from over here too?
You get what you pay for with free health care 😛 Seriously though, I have had good and bad experiences. From talking with my classmates, finding a general practitioner outside of the school tends to be better. Preventative medicine is not very big here - I have heard horror stories about people trying to get a physical or yearly OB exam. But if you have a cold, injury, etc it doesn't seem to be a big issue. My roomie has been to the ER three times since we started in August 🙂 And he is still in one piece, at the moment!
That said I kept my insurance because it was through my hubby's job. Plus I am spending summers back at home and the healthcare doesn't extend to the US.
That said I kept my insurance because it was through my hubby's job. Plus I am spending summers back at home and the healthcare doesn't extend to the US.
The whole school to ourselves? mmmmm. 🙂
Random but, what is the "free" healthcare system like? Should I keep my health insurance from over here too?
Love it. Call that morning, get an appointment that day. But Packen is right, it is a bit of a different experience. But it works for me. I keep my insurance back home because I go there on breaks and do EMS there. But in March I get kicked off my Mom's insurance so not sure what i'll do then :/. Any ideas?
Don't get me started on the 'free' health insurance 🙄
As far as keeping your insurance in the US, if you can for a reasonable amount, I'd say do it. Especially if you are going home for EMS.
Two things I wish someone would have told me to consider: keeping health and auto insurance!
If you don't, you will pay a huge premium when you get back because you let your policies lapse. Everywhere I checked, my auto insurance TRIPLED!! Like 900 bucks a year to 3000! Thank goodness, I am eligible for USAA and got on with them with no issues. But, it was a nightmare. And, I had not had any violations in over 15 years.
Health insurance....I had no option but to take out a 6 month catastrophic policy once I returned. Again, USAA came to the rescue, but it still was only catastrophic and I cringe to think what it might have cost on a Blue Cross Blue Shield, or something of that nature.
And, this was with zero health issues/pre-existing conditions. I am now eligible for a normal hospitalization policy.
For the auto insurance, it may be minimal to stay covered while you are in the UK especially if you tell them you are either garaging your vehicle or have sold it. Whereas health insurance is a different deal, unless you are on a parent's or spouse's. I didn't have either option and it was going to be a fortune to keep mine while away.
Just things to think about...as if you didn't have enough already
As far as keeping your insurance in the US, if you can for a reasonable amount, I'd say do it. Especially if you are going home for EMS.
Two things I wish someone would have told me to consider: keeping health and auto insurance!
If you don't, you will pay a huge premium when you get back because you let your policies lapse. Everywhere I checked, my auto insurance TRIPLED!! Like 900 bucks a year to 3000! Thank goodness, I am eligible for USAA and got on with them with no issues. But, it was a nightmare. And, I had not had any violations in over 15 years.
Health insurance....I had no option but to take out a 6 month catastrophic policy once I returned. Again, USAA came to the rescue, but it still was only catastrophic and I cringe to think what it might have cost on a Blue Cross Blue Shield, or something of that nature.
And, this was with zero health issues/pre-existing conditions. I am now eligible for a normal hospitalization policy.
For the auto insurance, it may be minimal to stay covered while you are in the UK especially if you tell them you are either garaging your vehicle or have sold it. Whereas health insurance is a different deal, unless you are on a parent's or spouse's. I didn't have either option and it was going to be a fortune to keep mine while away.
Just things to think about...as if you didn't have enough already

going into the 5 year program, is it best to just find housing and roommates once over there?
That depends on what your plan of action is first. If you decided to go into a dorm, say Sciennes, then stick with that for the six months or so until you are comfortable enough to find a flat on your own or if you happen to get really close with classmates (which I am sure you will, everyone here is one big, slightly odd family), then find a flat with them for a reasonable price. I actually found a flat before I went to Edinburgh with a private landlord and I lucked out because it was reasonably priced, one of my flatmates is a year ahead of me, and situated in a good area of town. It seems from what I have seen with my classmates, stick to a dorm for the first few months and then find a flat with close classmates!
I'm trying to glance through rentals on gumtree to get an idea of what I can expect as far as costs and available housing. Any recommendations as far as which parts of Edinburgh to search for? They all say different things like city centre, meadowbank, polwarth, etc. I'm just not familiar with the area yet obviously and was wondering if current students could recommend ideal parts of the city to live in! I'm sure there are pleasant, student friendly parts of Edinburgh that aren't soooo hard on the pocketbook! At least I hope so... Thanks!
I'm trying to glance through rentals on gumtree to get an idea of what I can expect as far as costs and available housing. Any recommendations as far as which parts of Edinburgh to search for? They all say different things like city centre, meadowbank, polwarth, etc. I'm just not familiar with the area yet obviously and was wondering if current students could recommend ideal parts of the city to live in! I'm sure there are pleasant, student friendly parts of Edinburgh that aren't soooo hard on the pocketbook! At least I hope so... Thanks!
me too! i have been looking for hours....trying to find something that allows pets. I am going in April to see if I can secure a place for August.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would look for areas in Marchmont, Newington, and Bruntsfield if you want to be close to the city centre, but yet to find a bus to get you to EB. The other areas further south would be EB, Loanhead, and Penicuik. Since I am sure none of you would have a car, find a flat reasonably close to the 47, 67, or 15A bus line which directly get you to EB campus. I think the 15A does go to Meadowbank as well if you are looking into that area. I would go to lothianbuses.com to check the bus route maps and check the bus numbers to see which one runs through what route. Then find your flat within a reasonable distance from that route with of course grocery shopping and a few other necessities (doctors, take-away restaurants, and pubs) that make your lives a bit easier when you get out here.
Then find your flat within a reasonable distance from that route with of course grocery shopping and a few other necessities (doctors, take-away restaurants, and pubs) that make your lives a bit easier when you get out here.
This may be a dumb question but I have never been to the UK before and I don't know if this has been discussed on this thread yet. First off how is the food? Second, how does their grocery shopping compare to the US (price, availability of products, ease)? Do they have mega one-stop-shop stores or do you need to shop around at smaller stores to get what you need?
I am also very interested in the pubs. 😀 Im a huge craft beer fan, have done some research, and I really want to try some Brewdog beer.
1.) Food: The food here is kind of like American in the sense that the Scottish love to fry their food here! Fish and Chips galore is the big take-aways (= take-out). However, their are plenty of choices of food besides Haggis and Potato Scone! Their are many great Indian restaurants, Chinese Restaurants, sushi is left to be desired, the Filling Station is the Friday's here (although they do have a Friday's here (mad expensive), Italian, and so on! I personally like Kismut's Indian Restaurant and my classmate Phil made me want to go back to Karen Wong's Chinese Restaurant. The food found in grocery stores are fine, I don't find a major difference in many of the products here, but the names are different (Frosted Flakes = Frosties Coco Crispies= Cocoa Pops). I find some of the food to be a bit bland in taste when it comes to some of the chocolates (it was Tesco brand so I guess I fu**ed myself there) and the food can be quite filling when it comes to their pastries and cakes. Lots of butter slathered on a number of products (good ol Scottish food). Oh, you will have the typical McDonald's, Burger King, Subway, KFC, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Domino's, and a rumor that Taco Bell may come back😍!! One can only hope, except for Jose Jalapeno on a STEEEEK!!!
2.) Grocery shopping UK vs US: For my local shopping, I go to Tesco since it is closest to me. This is a Tesco Express which is small and does not contain that many items, the bare necessities you would need like milk, cereal, bread, meats, fruits, veggies, toppings, desserts, and snacks. There are bigger Tesco's (local and deluxe). There is also Sainsbury and Morrison's as well and they are all the same. ASDA is the Wal-Mart owned version here in the UK. ASDA is really cheap and can certainly be your best bet if you fortunate to be close to one or someone can give you a ride there! To be honest, the local grocery stores will have the majority of what you need and always have a buy one get one free for something or slash prices in half so it is a matter of finding the right time to getting what you want. There are a few things they don't have in the UK that is typical in the US (Reese's Puff's Cereal and Corn Pops), such is life. I spend roughly 12-20 pounds a week a Tesco which is roughly 17-30 dollars American. I feel the prices on their food is a bit more expensive compared to the states (plus factor the exchange rate) and so you may want to choose your grocery plans carefully. Get bread, meat slices, and cheese to make your own sandwich to bring to school with you (cheaper than what is at the school) I just tend to not get a lot. I am fortunate to get a ride now to Costco here in Edinburgh (Loanhead area) and it is exactly like the Costco back in the States and Canada. You must have a US membership because you will not be able to get one here in the UK unless you are in a business or work there! Costco works well because you can get spend a lot, but you are buying in bulk, for cheap. Get the right perishable items, and you will be set for some time without really needing to go back for groceries. The catch, have a car or find someone willing to take you there and back!!
3.) PUBS!!!😀: Well, if you like to drink and have good times with your friends/classmates, you could not pick a better place (maybe Ireland or Germany)
. Pubs and clubs galore here in Edinburgh and in the UK in general. Pick your pleasure, Peartree, Malones, Southsider, The Doctor's, Steamie's, Dropkick Murphy's, Vodka Revolution, Frankenstein's, Sneaky Pete's, and God knows how many more. Beers are great, well they all are once you get to the point of not being able to feel feelings anymore (I will commend anyone who gets that reference)!
The one's I like and seem better in the UK is what you (Sheepdog) said is Brewdog, Tennents (can't go wrong), Stella Artois, IDA, Guiness (tastes a hell of a lot better here than in the US), Beck's, Belhaven's Best, Korrenberg, and good ole Australian Foster's.
I think I have covered it for now. Anymore questions, I will do my best to answer them and hopefully in a timely manner.

2.) Grocery shopping UK vs US: For my local shopping, I go to Tesco since it is closest to me. This is a Tesco Express which is small and does not contain that many items, the bare necessities you would need like milk, cereal, bread, meats, fruits, veggies, toppings, desserts, and snacks. There are bigger Tesco's (local and deluxe). There is also Sainsbury and Morrison's as well and they are all the same. ASDA is the Wal-Mart owned version here in the UK. ASDA is really cheap and can certainly be your best bet if you fortunate to be close to one or someone can give you a ride there! To be honest, the local grocery stores will have the majority of what you need and always have a buy one get one free for something or slash prices in half so it is a matter of finding the right time to getting what you want. There are a few things they don't have in the UK that is typical in the US (Reese's Puff's Cereal and Corn Pops), such is life. I spend roughly 12-20 pounds a week a Tesco which is roughly 17-30 dollars American. I feel the prices on their food is a bit more expensive compared to the states (plus factor the exchange rate) and so you may want to choose your grocery plans carefully. Get bread, meat slices, and cheese to make your own sandwich to bring to school with you (cheaper than what is at the school) I just tend to not get a lot. I am fortunate to get a ride now to Costco here in Edinburgh (Loanhead area) and it is exactly like the Costco back in the States and Canada. You must have a US membership because you will not be able to get one here in the UK unless you are in a business or work there! Costco works well because you can get spend a lot, but you are buying in bulk, for cheap. Get the right perishable items, and you will be set for some time without really needing to go back for groceries. The catch, have a car or find someone willing to take you there and back!!
3.) PUBS!!!😀: Well, if you like to drink and have good times with your friends/classmates, you could not pick a better place (maybe Ireland or Germany)
. Pubs and clubs galore here in Edinburgh and in the UK in general. Pick your pleasure, Peartree, Malones, Southsider, The Doctor's, Steamie's, Dropkick Murphy's, Vodka Revolution, Frankenstein's, Sneaky Pete's, and God knows how many more. Beers are great, well they all are once you get to the point of not being able to feel feelings anymore (I will commend anyone who gets that reference)!
The one's I like and seem better in the UK is what you (Sheepdog) said is Brewdog, Tennents (can't go wrong), Stella Artois, IDA, Guiness (tastes a hell of a lot better here than in the US), Beck's, Belhaven's Best, Korrenberg, and good ole Australian Foster's. I think I have covered it for now. Anymore questions, I will do my best to answer them and hopefully in a timely manner.
Wow awesome response, thanks DickVetMan, you answered my question and then some.
No sweat!!
Agreed. I don't know about you guys but I'd love to take these helpful dick vets out for thank you drinks (or whatever!!!) as soon as I get situated! Thank you so so much!
I happen to be a friendly when I have enough alcohol in my system😀. Whenever I am around, I will be more than happy to drink with the newbies/fresh meat/freshers/outcasts/yankees.......I'll shut my mouth with this! Have you guys started looking for any pre-clinical EMS placements yet? I would at least start on doing or finding something before you head to Edinburgh to make your lives easier while doing the first year or GEP year. I don't know if anyone wants to add me on FB so you could stalk my page and find out my wonderful misadventures in Edinburgh or my wonderful comments I post on a somewhat daily basis (I still get flack from my parents for that
). Sorry, no blog.
). Sorry, no blog.Regarding where to live, as a first year/GEP I would suggest staying somewhere near the 47/37 bus line or the 67. You can see their routes here: http://lothianbuses.com. The 67 runs along Causwayside Rd if you are looking at GoogleMaps and the 47 runs along Clerk St. These both go right to the new vet school. When I was looking on Gumtree I tried to stay near Newington, Southside, Meadows, and Sciennes.
For me, most of our class is in this area. While a few students live in Morningside (15 bus line) and further south closer to the school it is not ideal for getting together - at least not for us. Most of the social events we have all revolve around this area and late at night after the buses start running on night schedules (after midnight) it is harder to get back to these areas. I love being able to walk home late at night. Just not by myself through the Meadows.
I can't really add to DVM's response on food. There is a Costco between here and the school, and if you have a membership from home, you can shop there. You have to already have a membership though, you can't get one once you get here. They sell real Skippy PB. Membership pays for itself 🙂
I live right near a Tesco, actually same one as DVM and do most of my grocery shopping there. I am a slave to convenience. One thing they do not really have here is a Target or Wal-mart type of store. The closest are Asda's (owned by Wally World) and the big Sainsbury's but they are more like a large grocery stores with just a few other select non-food items. Hard to explain, but not the same. I miss Target. I have yet to go to Primark though...I hear that has cheap stuff, but I think it is mostly clothes...
For me, most of our class is in this area. While a few students live in Morningside (15 bus line) and further south closer to the school it is not ideal for getting together - at least not for us. Most of the social events we have all revolve around this area and late at night after the buses start running on night schedules (after midnight) it is harder to get back to these areas. I love being able to walk home late at night. Just not by myself through the Meadows.
I can't really add to DVM's response on food. There is a Costco between here and the school, and if you have a membership from home, you can shop there. You have to already have a membership though, you can't get one once you get here. They sell real Skippy PB. Membership pays for itself 🙂
I live right near a Tesco, actually same one as DVM and do most of my grocery shopping there. I am a slave to convenience. One thing they do not really have here is a Target or Wal-mart type of store. The closest are Asda's (owned by Wally World) and the big Sainsbury's but they are more like a large grocery stores with just a few other select non-food items. Hard to explain, but not the same. I miss Target. I have yet to go to Primark though...I hear that has cheap stuff, but I think it is mostly clothes...
I lived in Marchmont (10 min walk to Summerhall) and absolutely loved it! Such a neat neighbourhood (2 blocks from the Meadows). You can basically find a place to suit any budget in Edinburgh. The pet thing can be tricky...I found that you need to meet the agent/landlord in person to have the best odds. Also, it's not like the US in that places are advertised months in advance of vacancy. They pretty much advertise what is available now. So, don't get discouraged because it's almost like you have to wait till the last minute to find your place. I was freaked out by that trying to find a place from afar and did a short term let (Fringe festival through Craigslist near Sciennes), and while I had that for 2 weeks, I found my place in one day. It's much easier once you get there, so if you have the option of living in dorms (for GEPs) I would definitely do it...like, no hesitation. If you have pets, try a festival let and look for your place while you are there.
The food...oh the food. Some things are way cheaper (like red and yellow bell peppers) and some are way more expensive (like vodka). I realize vodka is not a normal food group, but you may find that vet school changes your perspective on that...especially in the UK
The lamb is phenomenal and the beef tastes very different, but is OK after you get used to it. Costco is your best friend as an American...real peanut butter, nuts, real ziploc bags, etc etc. It's like an oasis in the desert.
Pubs...oh pubs. The beer there is like nowhere else. It is absolutely delicious and you will wonder why you had such lame options on tap at home. The 'imports' and 'microbrews' in the US are NO comparison to what you will put to your lips over there. The beer is true heaven. Nuff said. I mean, like YUMMMMMMY.... ok, i'm done. I miss the beer 😀
It all is overwhelming, but seriously, don't fret too much..you will figure it all out and you will have plenty of classmates to watch your back if something goes awry. It will take some time to adjust and most people go through some form of culture shock..it is different. But, you will stick together and figure it all out. Everyone is supportive and there is plenty of help available, should you need it.
Enjoy the process of getting there and the adventure of it all. It will shape you in ways you didn't expect. 😍
The food...oh the food. Some things are way cheaper (like red and yellow bell peppers) and some are way more expensive (like vodka). I realize vodka is not a normal food group, but you may find that vet school changes your perspective on that...especially in the UK
The lamb is phenomenal and the beef tastes very different, but is OK after you get used to it. Costco is your best friend as an American...real peanut butter, nuts, real ziploc bags, etc etc. It's like an oasis in the desert.Pubs...oh pubs. The beer there is like nowhere else. It is absolutely delicious and you will wonder why you had such lame options on tap at home. The 'imports' and 'microbrews' in the US are NO comparison to what you will put to your lips over there. The beer is true heaven. Nuff said. I mean, like YUMMMMMMY.... ok, i'm done. I miss the beer 😀
It all is overwhelming, but seriously, don't fret too much..you will figure it all out and you will have plenty of classmates to watch your back if something goes awry. It will take some time to adjust and most people go through some form of culture shock..it is different. But, you will stick together and figure it all out. Everyone is supportive and there is plenty of help available, should you need it.
Enjoy the process of getting there and the adventure of it all. It will shape you in ways you didn't expect. 😍
Question to the current Dick Vets (and other UK students if they are lurking in this thread):
Any of you adopted a dog or cat in the UK? If you have, or you know some people who has, is it common and a smart idea? Curious because I think I will be very tempted to during 5 years there.
Any of you adopted a dog or cat in the UK? If you have, or you know some people who has, is it common and a smart idea? Curious because I think I will be very tempted to during 5 years there.
People in my class and other years have adopted dogs and cats from the Dog and Cat Home here in Edinburgh, so it is certainly common to see. Make sure the flat your in allows pets before doing anything. Certainly makes life a lot less boring with a pet around having been to the flats with classmates that do have pets. It is certainly useful to practice your clinical exam approach and bandaging when the pet even wants you to. I try to do that with my Shiba's back home and they give me the WTF are you doing look and high tail it to the backyard. Those trying to bring a pet to the UK from the US, it has been said in past threads and here, but the skinny, lots of hoops to jump through and can cost a pretty penny! Plus, you get good discounts being a vet student when you take your pet to the Royal Dick Hospital. Now there is a thing to give a new permanent name for the Vet School building. I thought of the "The Big (Royal) Dick Building" 😛. I did not submit that, there are better selections, I just thought about it for my own amusement.
Question to the current Dick Vets (and other UK students if they are lurking in this thread):
Any of you adopted a dog or cat in the UK? If you have, or you know some people who has, is it common and a smart idea? Curious because I think I will be very tempted to during 5 years there.
::Lurker, mainly to see Flyhi hehe::
My flatmate rescued a Lurcher from the SSPCA back in October!
I'm freaking out. I might have to bring my two large-ish dogs my first year after all because my dad will probably too sick to take care of them by the time I leave. I wanted the live in the dorms for the first 5 weeks then find a place off-campus and bring the dogs the following year. Now I don't know how to swing this. Does anyone know if is it too late to get them ready for July/August? 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm freaking out. I might have to bring my two large-ish dogs my first year after all because my dad will probably too sick to take care of them by the time I leave. I wanted the live in the dorms for the first 5 weeks then find a place off-campus and bring the dogs the following year. Now I don't know how to swing this. Does anyone know if is it too late to get them ready for July/August? 🙁
I don't think it's too late since DEFRA (UK's USDA) has changed the rules this year, but it will not be as easy to find a place to stay. I know Flyhi found temporary housing when she first arrived with her dogs and then found something more permanent after that. It's not impossible, just less convenient. Also, just an fyi, I *think* that you have to fly into Heathrow with your pups and then find alternate transport up here. Here is the DEFRA website: http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/
Thanks Packen. I will look into what the site says. I should contact flyhi too. I remember her talking about taking her two cuties over. 🙂
SOmething for you to savor, yes there is the Dick Vet Ball and Rugby Ball which I am sure is great (never went myself), but the Half-way dinner in third year is something special. Good times with friends and having a grand time while getting yourself hammered......this is supposed to be a "vet" topic, but it is still a Royal Dick tradition. Should I be proud of myself for winning class clown and most likely to be David Argyle, why the hell not. I guess I will be the next Patch Adams for dogs as my dad implied!!
I personally like Kismut's Indian Restaurant and my classmate Phil made me want to go back to Karen Wong's Chinese Restaurant.
ASDA is the Wal-Mart owned version here in the UK. ASDA is really cheap and can certainly be your best bet if you fortunate to be close to one or someone can give you a ride there!
1) Phil is awesome.
2) You can take the bus to and from ASDA or Costco! They are right next to each other along with Ikea. Pack some big bags and haul everything onto either the 47 or the 67 back into the city... sure, you might get some people staring if you have a lot of big bags, but who cares? Both of those buses go from the school back into the city so it's easy to hop off to do some shopping and then grabbing a later one to go home. 🙂
Also, congratulations on being halfway done! I heard you guys had a great night celebrating!
Last edited:
It was a very good night indeed on Friday. I am too lazy to carry bags on the buses and having to go back with them on the bus. I get my friend to drive me to Costco, just makes life simpler that way. Kind of tired of reading over the same notes now, gets boring after seeing the same stuff three times over. Endocrine diseases will be a nice change of pace though, really looking forward to this weeks lectures.
It was a very good night indeed on Friday. I am too lazy to carry bags on the buses and having to go back with them on the bus. I get my friend to drive me to Costco, just makes life simpler that way. Kind of tired of reading over the same notes now, gets boring after seeing the same stuff three times over. Endocrine diseases will be a nice change of pace though, really looking forward to this weeks lectures.
Haha you're funny... I just completed moving flats using the buses as my only transport. What an adventure that was.

Hey, this is for the dick vets, do you guys know any of the older students in their fourth (err last year) and how many of them returned to the states and how many just decided to stay in the UK. I know it can be a little hard getting into a residence (but its hard no matter where you go) do any of you know people that get into residences? Thanks for any info!
Hey, this is for the dick vets, do you guys know any of the older students in their fourth (err last year) and how many of them returned to the states and how many just decided to stay in the UK. I know it can be a little hard getting into a residence (but its hard no matter where you go) do any of you know people that get into residences? Thanks for any info!
I know a few final years, and most are headed back to the States. I am not sure how easy it is to stay here once your Visa expires. My friends are either doing internships or going directly into practice though. I don't know anyone going for a residency. When do final years get matched to residencies and internships? Is that coming up soon?
I did work for a US vet school though, and at our hospital, for the two years I worked there, every intern (6 total) was from a UK or European school - not sure if that was just a coincidence. Also of the six residents, (3 med, 3 sx) 2 were from Australia, 1 from Spain and 1 from the UK. So although I don't have specific #s for Dick vets getting residencies and internships, from what I have seen back home, it doesn't seem like they only go to US grads. Hope that helps!
PS - ckd, how much did phil pay you to say that 😛
Thanks to those of you who answered my questions regarding adopting in the UK.
And sliding into the topic above, I would love to work in the UK for a couple years after I graduate. I feel that the transition may possibly be easier if I work in the UK first and then go into practice back in the US. Know more people, more familiar vibe (by then), etc...
And sliding into the topic above, I would love to work in the UK for a couple years after I graduate. I feel that the transition may possibly be easier if I work in the UK first and then go into practice back in the US. Know more people, more familiar vibe (by then), etc...
I honestly hope I end up staying in the UK. Whether that can/will happen or not is another matter, but it is nice to hope. At the reception, they mentioned that you can extend your visa for 2 years easily, should you want to work in the UK after graduation.
bigkittinteef - I have considered staying in the UK as well. My immediate family is in the US but most of my extended family is actually in Romania so I can work in the UK if I want (no VISA needed as I'm an EU citizen which makes it nice) BUT my problem is the tuition I'll have to incur is rather high and the salary in the UK is much lower then the US. I just don't know how I'd end up paying for it if I let's say fell in love and decided to stay.
I'm driving myself crazy trying to choose between Edinburgh, RVC and Ohio State. Ohio State is cheeper by at least 50 000$ total and its hard for me to justify that level of extra debt for the experience of living abroad, however, I have heard such nice things about UK schools and would LOVE to live there. Why oh why can't it be cheeper? Sigh. I'm trying to be excited about OSU but honestly being in Ohio another four years is depressing me beyond belief.
I'm driving myself crazy trying to choose between Edinburgh, RVC and Ohio State. Ohio State is cheeper by at least 50 000$ total and its hard for me to justify that level of extra debt for the experience of living abroad, however, I have heard such nice things about UK schools and would LOVE to live there. Why oh why can't it be cheeper? Sigh. I'm trying to be excited about OSU but honestly being in Ohio another four years is depressing me beyond belief.
If you do fall in love and get married, realize that your SO will also be contributing to your income. Who can say how much of course, but it's nice to know that you wouldn't be alone. Also, you may get payed less in the UK, but are you considering the fact that the pound is much stronger than the US dollar? It might even out; I'm not sure, just a thought. Also, you should realize that your pay will depend on a lot of factors such as: what kind of vet you plan on being, specializing, whether you own a practice, etc.
The way I see it, I was planning on trying to travel (maybe end up living) in the UK no matter what. I didn't see how I could manage it after vet school in the US. With the debt, we have to go straight into work. When would I ever get the chance to travel after I start working off my loans? Maybe never. I'll happily pay more to make sure I get to have this life experience. But I live simply and am willing to make sacrifices others might not consider.
RVC is significantly cheaper than Edinburgh (about 10,000 a year) but will have higher living costs that both Ohio and Edinburgh. If you are IS for Ohio, it is about $ 27,847 (very close in cost to RVC which is about $31,000). If you are OOS for Ohio, it is $ 63,829. Much cheaper to go to RVC or Edinburgh in that case.
Something else to consider: in CA for example, the cost of tuition at UC Davis goes up around 2,000-3,000 a year and requires a 7,000 summer semester. The UK schools do not go up in price over time (my teacher that attended RVC said tuition got cheaper some years for him, weird right?) and Edinburgh tuition get locked in at whatever cost you start with. I would check and see if tuition regularly has gone up for Ohio. This may reveal some hidden future costs you hadn't considered.
Ultimately, don't go to a school (Ohio or the UK) if you can see yourself regretting it later. I turned down a UC Davis interview (my IS) because I know I'd regret missing out on this amazing opportunity more than I'd regret the higher costs. Good luck with the decision! It will be difficult I am sure.
The way I see it, I was planning on trying to travel (maybe end up living) in the UK no matter what. I didn't see how I could manage it after vet school in the US. With the debt, we have to go straight into work. When would I ever get the chance to travel after I start working off my loans? Maybe never. I'll happily pay more to make sure I get to have this life experience. But I live simply and am willing to make sacrifices others might not consider.
RVC is significantly cheaper than Edinburgh (about 10,000 a year) but will have higher living costs that both Ohio and Edinburgh. If you are IS for Ohio, it is about $ 27,847 (very close in cost to RVC which is about $31,000). If you are OOS for Ohio, it is $ 63,829. Much cheaper to go to RVC or Edinburgh in that case.
Something else to consider: in CA for example, the cost of tuition at UC Davis goes up around 2,000-3,000 a year and requires a 7,000 summer semester. The UK schools do not go up in price over time (my teacher that attended RVC said tuition got cheaper some years for him, weird right?) and Edinburgh tuition get locked in at whatever cost you start with. I would check and see if tuition regularly has gone up for Ohio. This may reveal some hidden future costs you hadn't considered.
Ultimately, don't go to a school (Ohio or the UK) if you can see yourself regretting it later. I turned down a UC Davis interview (my IS) because I know I'd regret missing out on this amazing opportunity more than I'd regret the higher costs. Good luck with the decision! It will be difficult I am sure.

I honestly hope I end up staying in the UK. Whether that can/will happen or not is another matter, but it is nice to hope. At the reception, they mentioned that you can extend your visa for 2 years easily, should you want to work in the UK after graduation.
That's what they said in the Glasgow reception too. I'm assuming the same would apply in Edinburgh. Here's to hoping for a good employment opportunity in the year 2016/2017 !!


😍That's what they said in the Glasgow reception too. I'm assuming the same would apply in Edinburgh. Here's to hoping for a good employment opportunity in the year 2016/2017 !!
![]()
mbelu, also don't forget to put the ratio of handsome men in the UK with their sexy accent into your equation of evaluating between all 3 schools. Eyecandies are important stress-relievers when you're going to be burying your nose in books for the next 4-5 years.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe we could find Mr. Darcy? A girl can dream! 😍
*drools
*drools
bigkittinteef - In my mind I'll be working at Dowton Abbey and everyone is dressed all fancy. There will be a handsome Mr.Darcy but he will have health problems and I'll save him using my medical knowledge and he'll fall in love and marry me. -lol- I sometimes wonder when I'm going to mature ... hopefully never 🙂 It keeps me sane! I think all vets are a little insane ... its why I know I belong
If we go to school in the UK together, we'll have to go visit Pemberly (Mr. Darcy's estate)!
Lol. It sounds like you're just as goofy/sappy as me. I have no shame! 😀
Lol. It sounds like you're just as goofy/sappy as me. I have no shame! 😀
bigkittinteef - In my mind I'll be working at Dowton Abbey and everyone is dressed all fancy. There will be a handsome Mr.Darcy but he will have health problems and I'll save him using my medical knowledge and he'll fall in love and marry me. -lol- I sometimes wonder when I'm going to mature ... hopefully never 🙂 It keeps me sane! I think all vets are a little insane ... its why I know I belong
you're funny. Choose Edinburgh!! I have my own little fantasy that I probably shouldn't share in a public space.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 445
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 3K