Did anyone see Holmes documentary “out for blood”?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i watched it yesterday and thought it was very good. It was fun seeing the faces of the people we read about over the last few years and also the journalists who were behind the stories.

I hope her and Sunny do time because they seem more than misguided idealists but as truly corrupt. Her major mistake was not having a single person with a healthcare background on her board. There were all these impressive leaders from the military, business and giverment but no one who had any experience with laboratory, hospital or clinical leadership.

Her obsession with secrecy is another thing that sunk her. If she really had game changing lab technology, she should have shown the world and then cashed the 10 billion check from roche or quest.

Elizabeth and Sunny didn’t listen to the low level workers in her company that knew this thing was doomed.

She has something though. A 19 year old woman was able to sell an idea to the Henry Kissinger and secretary Schultz. That’s impressive.

She would have been better taking her idea on shark tank. Mark Cuban could have straightened her out.

Members don't see this ad.

i watched it yesterday and thought it was very good. It was fun seeing the faces of the people we read about over the last few years and also the journalists who were behind the stories.

I hope her and Sunny do time because they seem more than misguided idealists but as truly corrupt. Her major mistake was not having a single person with a healthcare background on her board. There were all these impressive leaders from the military, business and giverment but no one who had any experience with laboratory, hospital or clinical leadership.

Her obsession with secrecy is another thing that sunk her. If she really had game changing lab technology, she should have shown the world and then cashed the 10 billion check from roche or quest.

Elizabeth and Sunny didn’t listen to the low level workers in her company that knew this thing was doomed.

She has something though. A 19 year old woman was able to sell an idea to the Henry Kissinger and secretary Schultz. That’s impressive.

She would have been better taking her idea on shark tank. Mark Cuban could have straightened her out.

Kissinger and Schultz are like 90 years old.....Is it real impressive to sell an idea to someone of that advanced age? Seems like older folks are the target of many scammers.

I remember you fell hard for Theranos back in the day. Didn't you claim your hospital (or one in the area) was meeting with them or something?

Reactions: 1 user
The show didn't capture her vicious gangsterism the way the book did, however it did effectively demonstrate just how weird and creepy she was. It also amazed me how no-one questioned exactly how fingerstick blood draws would enhance early detection of disease. Two obviously separate issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
I gave her the benefit of the doubt but once the wsj stories were coming out I knew she was a fraud.

I found it astounding that a 20yearold can generate 900,000,000 in funding for her business idea and that generated a lot of hate and jealousy because none of us could ever do that.

One corporate level administrator was aware of theranos. There was never a meeting or consideration of trialing it. We won’t even use TEG6 because the LY30 test hasn’t been approved by the FDA.

What I never understood is we can already do 100 tests off a ml of serum with the big Siemens machine. Other than this needing a finger stick instead of a poke it wasn’t some monumental shift.

Yes she had a very creepy stiffness to her. Fake voice. Fake stare. It was great hearing the whistleblower techs tell their stories. All their communications were monitored. And how terrifying to be a 23 year and being threatened by that lawyer David Boies. I wish he could go to jail too.

Last edited:
Watched it.... it’s like a classic cult set up. Charismatic leader, clueless but well known board, secrecy, threats.....
Totally from any cult play book. So glad it was stopped. She is a very odd person with a grating voice and a lumbering presence. How do VCs just hand over money to so many crappy companies. The diagnostic field is full of snake oil salesmen with polished PowerPoint presentations.

I gave her the benefit of the doubt but once the wsj stories were coming out I knew she was a fraud.

I found it astounding that a 20yearold can generate 900,000,000 in funding for her business idea and that generated a lot of hate and jealousy because none of us could ever do that.

One corporate level administrator was aware of theranos. There was never a meeting or consideration of trialing it. We won’t even use TEG6 because the LY30 test hasn’t been approved by the FDA.

What I never understood is we can already do 100 tests off a ml of serum with the big Siemens machine. Other than this needing a finger stick instead of a poke it wasn’t some monumental shift.

Yes she had a very creepy stiffness to her. Fake voice. Fake stare. It was great hearing the whistleblower techs tell their stories. All their communications were monitored. And how terrifying to be a 23 year and being threatened by that lawyer David Boies. I wish he could go to jail too.
Missed it.Who televised it?Book is great for all pathologist and other laboratorians.

Missed it.Who televised it?Book is great for all pathologist and other laboratorians.

HBO. I thought they were a bit soft on the whole situation and especially on the left wing journalists who celebrated the story without actually doing any …..reporting. Out of fairness though, she made fools out of people across the political spectrum. Not surprisingly, none of them had MD's. Kudos to the brave whistleblowers who stood up to that vicious David Boies.

It was good but I thought they could have went more in-depth about the downfall and implosion.

Does anyone think she suffered from hyperthyroid with those bug eyes where you can see her whole iris? Maybe she can test for that on Edison.