Did anyone see Karate Kid on AMC last night?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Karate Kid rules! It was on AMC last night and I watched a bit of it. AMC was temporarily taking a break from their non stop showing of Rocky movies (which resumed again this morning, they were showing Rocky IV).

Daniel-San was really kind of a loser. Elizabeth Shue (
mrstraetz.gif
) was on the beach and kept staring at him for some strange reason. And he just kept staring back and grilling hot dogs on the grill. Loser. Then she came into his shower costume at the halloween dance (she was dressed as a good witch). Damn, Daniel-San! That's Elizabeth Shue!
love-smiley-020.gif

No such thing a bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do.
Oh, great, that solves everything for me. I'll just go down to the school and straighten it out with the teacher, no problem.
Now use head for something other than target.

Sweep the leg...You have a problem with that?
No Sensai.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What an american classic. Daniel-San had some serious problems going on in that head.

Members don't see this ad.

yaah said:
Karate Kid rules! It was on AMC last night and I watched a bit of it. AMC was temporarily taking a break from their non stop showing of Rocky movies (which resumed again this morning, they were showing Rocky IV).

Daniel-San was really kind of a loser. Elizabeth Shue (
mrstraetz.gif
) was on the beach and kept staring at him for some strange reason. And he just kept staring back and grilling hot dogs on the grill. Loser. Then she came into his shower costume at the halloween dance (she was dressed as a good witch). Damn, Daniel-San! That's Elizabeth Shue!
love-smiley-020.gif

No such thing a bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do.
Oh, great, that solves everything for me. I'll just go down to the school and straighten it out with the teacher, no problem.
Now use head for something other than target.

Sweep the leg...You have a problem with that?
No Sensai.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What an american classic. Daniel-San had some serious problems going on in that head.

Damn I missed it! Are they showing it again today?

And how many times has AMC showed the Rocky marathon this summer? It seems like it's always on!

Rocky IV was so cheesy. And in real life, Dolph Lundgren would destroy Sly Stallone.

And if I used that teacher line on the wards, I'd get pimpslapped so hard by the attending!

AndyMilonakis said:
Rocky IV was so cheesy. And in real life, Dolph Lundgren would destroy Sly Stallone.

I must break you.

Rocky IV was another classic though. I love the cliches.

Don't know if they are showing KK again. Hopefully they will soon have a Karate Kid marathon one of these days...Although after KK1 it kind of goes downhill, as I said.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Put him in a body baaaaaggg!! HHHHEEHHEHEHEHEHEHEEE"

I think Elizabeth Shue hit her hotness peak during that movie. BAby fat and all.

Am I a super-geek if I think that that song from the Karate Kid that they play during the tournament ("You're The Best Around") is one of the best "pump you up" songs ever for like working out and stuff? :D

And btw, I believe that KK2 > KK1, but only slightly. KK3 was just insulting. :p

CJMPre-Med said:
Am I a super-geek if I think that that song from the Karate Kid that they play during the tournament ("You're The Best Around") is one of the best "pump you up" songs ever for like working out and stuff? :D

And btw, I believe that KK2 > KK1, but only slightly. KK3 was just insulting. :p

Fermata said:
Remember when all those rival dojo guys trash his banzai tree garden?

Noone touches the banzai tree. :cool:

That was KK3, if I am not mistaken, which had the implausible plot of 3 men conspiring to make sure Daniel-San lost the tournament. One was Sensai Kreese. The other was one of his students who I don't remember had anything against Daniel San. The other was some rich guy who looked like Steven Seagal. I guess he was vietnam buddies with sensai and agreed to drop everything and make sure Daniel San would lose then tournament.

KK3 starred the lovely Robyn Lively as the love interest. Thus, Daniel San, despite being a total tool and *****, managed to land both Elizabeth Shue and Robyn Lively. And, was probably dumped by both when they realized he was a tool.

CJMPre-Med said:
Am I a super-geek if I think that that song from the Karate Kid that they play during the tournament ("You're The Best Around") is one of the best "pump you up" songs ever for like working out and stuff?

And btw, I believe that KK2 > KK1, but only slightly. KK3 was just insulting.

That's a great song, I agree. However you have shamed and humiliated yourself by suggesting that KK2>KK1. Go to the corner and chop on that 18 inch thick block of wood until your hand bleeds or you cease to feel pain. Not only does KK1 have the lovely Elisabeth Shue, but it actually is somewhat plausible. KK2 does, however, have some great scenes and the "Like a Knight in Shining Armor" song when Daniel-San and Kumiko run along the rocky beach.

That song sucks and you guys are major dorks. :D :D

Matte Kudesai said:

just fell outta my seat after reading this post. Cheers Matte! haha

Matte Kudesai said:
It is a kickass song. I pity you for not being able to enjoy it. I hope at least you can appreciate the montage along with it.

Johnny whups on everyone. Other kobra-kai including crazy blonde guy (not Johnny) who sticks his tongue out and bobs his head. Token Asian guy who performs artistic acrobatics before getting his butt handed to him by Johnny. Judge with cheesy 80's mustache. Frequent cuts to Miyagi nodding in approval.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
It is a kickass song. I pity you for not being able to enjoy it. I hope at least you can appreciate the montage along with it.

Johnny whups on everyone. Other kobra-kai including crazy blonde guy (not Johnny) who sticks his tongue out and bobs his head. Token Asian guy who performs artistic acrobatics before getting his butt handed to him by Johnny. Judge with cheesy 80's mustache. Frequent cuts to Miyagi nodding in approval.

:thumbup:

You, sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar. These other heathens know not of what they speak. ;) :p

Heh, the best part of the whole tournament scene at the end is hearing that other Cobra-Kai fighter go absolutely bat-**** insane on the sidelines rooting for Johnny. "Yeaaah! You got him! Put him in a bodybag, yeaahh!!". Guy was just a wee bit of an overactor. :D

yaah said:

The only song worse is "The Eye of the Tiger". Oh crap!! now its gonna be in my head all day.

Thanks alot Yaah

Matte Kudesai said:
The only song worse is "The Eye of the Tiger". Oh crap!! now its gonna be in my head all day.

Thanks alot Yaah

Did you like the beginning of Rocky 3? Eye of the Tiger with fight montage. A common denominator in many 80's movies. The Rocky 3 montage consisted of repeated clips of
1) Rocky pummeling on fighters, extending his title run. You could tell the producers were being careful to make sure Rocky was shown beating up on fighters of all races and body styles, even though Sylvester Stallone is like 5'5" and in real life would be a middleweight at best.
2) Mr T pummeling on fighters and clips of Mr T training hard, glowering at Rocky, and newspaper clippings where apparently Mr T beating some schmo and climbing to 9th in the heavyweight boxing rankings warranted a banner front page headline, while other news is seemingly unimportant.
3) Shots of Rocky doing commercials (Mazerati, Delorean, American Express) which is interesting because in Rocky II he can't even put two words together in a deodorant ad.
4) Shots of Rocky's home life. Kissing Connie Corleone. Buying Connie Corleone a mink coat. Mickey the trainer visiting for a birthday party and looking awkward.

All of this to Eye of the Tiger. Survivor songs were also used in Rocky IV (Burning Heart, to another montage).

What was interesting to me when I saw the Rocky marathon was that in all the fights, neither Rocky or his opponent keep their gloves up. They just keep exchanging shots to the head while cheesy 80's music runs in the background.

AndyMilonakis said:
What was interesting to me when I saw the Rocky marathon was that in all the fights, neither Rocky or his opponent keep their gloves up. They just keep exchanging shots to the head while cheesy 80's music runs in the background.

I know! Rocky IV was the worst - after round one, both fighters had taken about 25 unprotected blows to the head. I could never figure that out. I guess maybe when they planned the boxing scenes they decided that blocking punches with your gloves didn't make good cinema. I think I saw a real fight once where Tyson landed one unopposed punch right to the face of his opponent and he was down for 5 minutes. And I would bet Tyson didn't have the "pounds per square inch" statistics that the great Dolph Lundgren had.

He is like a piece of iron.

yaah said:
I think I saw a real fight once where Tyson landed one unopposed punch right to the face of his opponent and he was down for 5 minutes.

Yep...that was the Spinks-Tyson fight. One punch KO in the first round.

Of course we all know what happened in Tyson's next fight...Buster Douglas??? WTF!

yaah said:
Did you like the beginning of Rocky 3? Eye of the Tiger with fight montage. A common denominator in many 80's movies. The Rocky 3 montage consisted of repeated clips of
1) Rocky pummeling on fighters, extending his title run. You could tell the producers were being careful to make sure Rocky was shown beating up on fighters of all races and body styles, even though Sylvester Stallone is like 5'5" and in real life would be a middleweight at best.
2) Mr T pummeling on fighters and clips of Mr T training hard, glowering at Rocky, and newspaper clippings where apparently Mr T beating some schmo and climbing to 9th in the heavyweight boxing rankings warranted a banner front page headline, while other news is seemingly unimportant.
3) Shots of Rocky doing commercials (Mazerati, Delorean, American Express) which is interesting because in Rocky II he can't even put two words together in a deodorant ad.
4) Shots of Rocky's home life. Kissing Connie Corleone. Buying Connie Corleone a mink coat. Mickey the trainer visiting for a birthday party and looking awkward.

:laugh:

Dude, you're killing me. :D

"Eye of the Tiger" owns you. Also, the entire Rocky 4 soundtrack is ace, particularly "Hearts on Fire", "War" (instrumental/synthesizer), "In the Burning Heart", and "No Easy Way Out" (great song).

p433r my geekdom. :p :D

augmel said:
I think Elizabeth Shue hit her hotness peak during that movie. BAby fat and all.
I dunno. She looked pretty good in Cocktail. She still looked good in Leaving Las Vegas.

Favorite Rocky quote..."I predict...Pain!!!"

joedogma said:
Favorite Rocky quote..."I predict...Pain!!!"

Man, talk about horribly butchering a quote... ;)

It was like so:

Reporter: "Clubber, what's your prediction for tonight's fight?"

Clubber, seething with barely concealed rage: "Prediction? Pain."

"Why you duckin' me, Balboa!?" :D

The best part of Rocky 3 was seeing Hulk Hogan (aka "Thunderlips") absolutely go OFF on Rocky during what was supposed to be an exhibition. Which reminds me of another great Rocky 4 quote, by Apollo's trainer to Drago's handlers after the first round where Creed got pummeled: "This is supposed to be an exhibition-- AN EXHIBITION!" :p

CJMPre-Med said:
Man, talk about horribly butchering a quote... ;)

It was like so:

Reporter: "Clubber, what's your prediction for tonight's fight?"

Clubber, seething with barely concealed rage: "Prediction? Pain."

"Why you duckin' me, Balboa!?" :D

The best part of Rocky 3 was seeing Hulk Hogan (aka "Thunderlips") absolutely go OFF on Rocky during what was supposed to be an exhibition. Which reminds me of another great Rocky 4 quote, by Apollo's trainer to Drago's handlers after the first round where Creed got pummeled: "This is supposed to be an exhibition-- AN EXHIBITION!" :p

"I DEFEAT real champion"

"Apollo, you can do it!!"

"If he dies...he dies."

CJMPre-Med said:
:laugh:

Dude, you're killing me. :D

"Eye of the Tiger" owns you. Also, the entire Rocky 4 soundtrack is ace, particularly "Hearts on Fire", "War" (instrumental/synthesizer), "In the Burning Heart", and "No Easy Way Out" (great song).

p433r my geekdom. :p :D

Rocky IV is an absolute classic. My clear favorite among the Rocky films. I just love all the silly cracks at communism, as if Rocky would win over the Moscow crowd by getting his ass handed to him by a native son.

You have everything I have been instructed to provide.
They are assigned to you. Where you go, they go. Yes?
I must break you.
You will lose.
If he dies, he dies.

yaah said:
Rocky IV is an absolute classic. My clear favorite among the Rocky films. I just love all the silly cracks at communism, as if Rocky would win over the Moscow crowd by getting his ass handed to him by a native son.

That was the cheesiest moment in the film when the crowd starts chanting, "Rocky! Rocky!" Uh yeah right...

Actually I take that back. That speech Rocky is able to make after the fight, despite taking 4000 shots to the head simply because he couldn't keep his hands up, was the cheesiest moment.

If I can change
And you can change
We can all change!
DARRRRRR

I love Brigitte Nielsen's speech at the press conference. Fantastic. Especially because the media in the crowd keeps groaning and sighing REALLY loudly.

You have this belief that you are better than us. (crowd groans, some guy sighs) You have this belief that this country is so very good and we are so very bad. (crowd groans louder) You have this belief that you are so fair and we are so very cruel. (media screams).

How did we get to Rocky from Karate Kid by the way? I guess because I was playing name that musical montage.

Back to Karate Kid. Hey, that Elisabeth Shue was pretty hot!

yaah said:
I love Brigitte Nielsen's speech at the press conference. Fantastic. Especially because the media in the crowd keeps groaning and sighing REALLY loudly.

You have this belief that you are better than us. (crowd groans, some guy sighs) You have this belief that this country is so very good and we are so very bad. (crowd groans louder) You have this belief that you are so fair and we are so very cruel. (media screams).QUOTE]

"Tis all lies and propaganda spread forth by a capitalistic and antagonistic government!!"

"Hey YO...we don't threaten our own people with machine guns!!!"

"Who are YOU!"

"Who am I? I'm the unsilent majority BIG MOUTH!"