Did bad in boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I barely passed my boards, for both USMLE and COMLEX and now I'm worried I won't get into a PM&R program for residency.... Is there anything I can do to offset a barely passing board score?

Members don't see this ad.

Research or try to knock out pmr rot with good Evals and letters of rec. Genuinely show interest in the field and know what the specialty is about. If u can cast a wide net do it because in this day and age pmr is gettin more competitive. Not to scare you but not one pgy two spot went umatched this year. Get ur app in early and go on all interviews and rank. It can be done but strategy is key. Best of luck you can get it just bust ass doing the above.

Also understand PM&R is more about finding the right personality for the program than the right scores. The top programs can be picky, and their average scores are quite high. However, average scores for PM&R as a whole remains low, and some programs are still filling via IMGs. Get some interview training so you interview well. It could make you or break you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, that makes me feel better. I personally believe my personality and my desire to interact with people is my strength in medicine. Unfortunately, I lack the same talent when it comes to books and taking tests. Not only do I lack talent in these, but I find learning some of the not-so-clinically relevant stuff more painful pulling out my own hair

I also recommend that, if you have an academic success department/person at your medical school, to work with them if you can. You may be able to identify a way in which you can improve for Step 2 or whatever other exams you have left.
I say this from my own experience after having a reading assessment done during my 3rd year which helped me improve my approach to exam prep.

Last edited: