Did having a baby help you get in?

i61164

Polar Bear, MD
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think that adcoms considered the fact that you have witnessed/given birth in their decision? Am I the only one that thinks that this experience is more relevant than working at a soup kitchen?

i

Members don't see this ad.

One can witness a birth without being a parent. So that doesn't really count.

I think that the only way in which being a parent would reflect positively (which is not to say it reflects negatively at all) is if you can show that you overcame some kind of difficulty in your life while being a parent. This would show the adcoms that you can overcome difficult situations.

But one could use the same argument for say, a cancer survivor who is applying to med school, or someone that comes from a war torn country as well.

If I were on an adcom I would probably question the parent-applicant how they think they will be able to handle the stress of med school while parenting. I would want to see that they could handle both responsibilities successfully.

That's just my non-expert $.02.

My experiences being a mother have changed me so deeply that I decided to become a physician. I have more empathy for other people, more patience, and I am just more even-keeled. I'm a better person. This makes me a better candidate than if I weren't a parent. (I'm not saying that a parent is a better candidate than a non-parent, just that I personally am a better candidate now for having been a parent- as opposed to 9 years ago before I had children.)

Giving birth/witnessing the birth of your child is a completely different experience than merely watching a birth. Seeing the person you love most going through the birthing process...I can imagine what that did to my husband, how he must have wanted to help me but knowing that this was something that had to be endured in order for it to end. And actually giving birth is an incredibly empowering process; I feel stronger and more resolute than I did before. I can handle whatever comes my way.

How could this experience NOT help a candidate for medical school?

my honest reaction is that i don't think they consider the fact in and of itself, unless, as others have stated, you thoughtfully illustrate for them how it relates your decision or to what you deem to be your potential contributions. parents come in all types and giving birth is a much more natural skill than working in a soup kitchen, after all (that's says nothing for parenting, but you mentioned actually giving birth).

i would steer clear of the "more relevant than..." arguments, b/c one rarely comes off positively when they attempt to illustrate their worth at the expense of someone else's. also, for all your perceived greatness, there's someone out there--childless as can be--(and who's likely worked for a soup kitchen) who's going to come across as ten times the applicant you are. prepare yourself for this reality. just be great no matter what.