Medical Did I answer this interview question appropriately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
During a recent interview, I was asked by two of the interviewers in regard to an elected office I currently hold and when the term ends. I noted that my medical education was important for me and, because of that, I was trying to prepare someone by helping them gain similar experience (through government boards and community outreach) to potentially transition into my position if I was accepted to medical school and would need to resign to matriculate.

Was this an appropriate answer or did I diminish my chances? Is the fact that. if I get accepted. I will be unable to fulfill the complete duration of the position a red flag itself?

Thank you!
I think the appropriate answer is to say when your term ends. It sounds like you didn't answer the question, but that you skirted around it and provided a maybe passable answer. Not being able to fulfill your term is not, however, a red flag.

Members don't see this ad.

I did note that it would end in 2022 and then began the brief explanation of how I would try to have a seamless transition

Yes, my term would end Spring 2022 and my goal is to matriculate in Fall 2021.

I noted that I was doing that training to make the transition as seamless as possible for the other elected officials involved.

I’m sorry but I am missing what is wrong with what you said.

Members don't see this ad :)
My concern was that the question indicated they didn't like that I might be leaving office to go to their institution. If that's not the case, then that puts me more at ease since I think it otherwise went well!
If I asked this question, I would want to know how you thought about leaving something you enjoyed to do medical school. But I don't see any apparent reason to dislike your answer as long as you kept it professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.