Did I apply late or was it my application??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mona Lisa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my MCAT late, submitted my primary first week or August.....took a month to process my primary....submitted all secondaries on deadlines (oct to december)...and only apply to cali schools and 10 other top schools (because I want to stay in cali....personal reasons)

some background-
Undergrad school - one of the top UCs
Science GPA 3.7
Total GPA 3.9
MCAT V7, PS13, BS12 (English is my 4th language)
A year of clinical volunteer
3 years of research ( doing my honors thesis as undergrad and took a year off working in a reasearch lab at a UC)
Other leadership work
Leadership awards.

I received secondaries from all the schools and got interviews from only three - David geffen, Duke and Suny. Interviewed late in March. Still waiting to hear from suny and UCLA.

I don't have any hope of getting in this year so I am preparing to re-apply.

My big questions is did I apply too late or is it my verbal score or something else ( weak personal statement....i know i didn't write much about it)

Members don't see this ad.

You applied late.

Also, even though English is your 4th language, some places may not like the 7 on VR. Especially in California, where there are 10 applicants for every seat.

If you absolutely have to stay in Cali, throw in the two DO schools, just in case.

If you absolutely have to be an MD, then apply out of state, just in case. And not necessarily to the Dukes of the world. Throw in a few schools that may not jump off the paper at you, but at the end of the day, you're still a doctor if you graduate from one.

These are the problems: submitted all secondaries on deadlines (oct to december)...and only apply to cali schools and 10 other top schools. But your biggest mistake was applying to only top tier schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to improve verbal score and retake MCAT.
7 is much too low, especially for the schools you are aiming for.

Get in app early, apply more broadly and you will be fine.

I took my MCAT late, submitted my primary first week or August.....took a month to process my primary....submitted all secondaries on deadlines (oct to december)...and only apply to cali schools and 10 other top schools (because I want to stay in cali....personal reasons)

some background-
Undergrad school - one of the top UCs
Science GPA 3.7
Total GPA 3.9
MCAT V7, PS13, BS12 (English is my 4th language)
A year of clinical volunteer
3 years of research ( doing my honors thesis as undergrad and took a year off working in a reasearch lab at a UC)
Other leadership work
Leadership awards.

I received secondaries from all the schools and got interviews from only three - David geffen, Duke and Suny. Interviewed late in March. Still waiting to hear from suny and UCLA.

I don't have any hope of getting in this year so I am preparing to re-apply.

My big questions is did I apply too late or is it my verbal score or something else ( weak personal statement....i know i didn't write much about it)

You applied late, but how many schools did you apply to?

Remember to apply very broadly (include all the low-middle tiers that you would be satisfied attending). You got interviews at decent schools, you might've gotten in at lower ranking schools if you applied.

You applied late, but how many schools did you apply to?

Remember to apply very broadly (include all the low-middle tiers that you would be satisfied attending). You got interviews at decent schools, you might've gotten in at lower ranking schools if you applied.

Bingo.

You absolutely have to apply widely and early. Your science GPA is around the mean for matriculants (3.65) but your MCAT's verbal score is a little worrisome. Being from CA, you have to apply to more schools.

I applied to around 30 when I was a pre-med, and I had stats around the mean.