Did I get into medical school for the wrong reasons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

james201423

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it's only a couple years ago I set my goal to get into medicine. Now that I got into Med school (just started this year) I regret applying for it. The truth is that I didn't want to become a doctor, because It was my number one goal in life to help people, be a hero or a saint of some sort. I didn't receive ''the calling'' as most others say they did. The truth is that I was allured by the following things: Prestige/status that comes with being a doctor, the reasonably well paid job, and last but more importantly job security.

Dropping out crosses my mind almost everyday, but this is not an easy decision. Everyone in my family is very proud and happy that I got into med school, and leaving it would be a blow to them, so I feel like I have to finish this. Besides I will feel bad for having taken someone elses spot if I do quit. but The truth is Im not happy doing what I do so far, and I am having a hard time just motivating myself to study. It's very time consuming, I feel like I have no life beside studying, and I am afraid it's gonna be like that for at least 5 more years. Then there is the fear that even as a doctor, you might be so busy, you will have no life outside of work. So the thought that has crossed my mind most over the past month is what's the point of having status, wealth, and an almost 99% job security, if you aren't happy and too busy studying/working all the time?
 
Job Security is NOT the reason to enter this profession. It's a perk, but it's not the reason to enter it. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice to have the admiration and pride of family wearing your white coat, etc. and the self-esteem from that is immense. But long after that has faded, you will be dealing with this alone - you will study alone, you will take call alone, you will be working in residency dealing with residents/attendings alone, etc.

Medicine truly is a service profession. I know "calling" sounds cliche, but it really is true for medicine. "Calling" meaning you're expected to do things that you don't get paid extra for. Even if you were of the alternate scenario that you only want to do medicine bc you love the "science of medicine" (and I think all us SDN nerds do, to an extent), I would tell you that's not enough to go into medicine, bc medicine is so much more than that, which you figure out in the MS-3 year. There are many other healthcare fields (which you can see on SDN) that are available to you - as well as other careers.

I repeat: Prestige/status, salary, and job security alone are not good reasons to pursue medicine, esp. now that the profession is actively changing to where many specialties are becoming more "team-based" rather than geared towards being the individual physician who treats the patient, mainly due to Obamacare. Be lucky you figured it out first semester of M1 and leave. Nothing is wrong with your value set. It's just that those reasons alone aren't good ones to pursue medicine, something you will potentially practice till you retire.
 
Gtfo before your debt accumulates. I think those who want to "help people" always have a rude awakening when they realize patients will rarely quitnsmoking, take their meds, lose weight, ormeven remember their surgeons name six months after a surgery.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gtfo before your debt accumulates. I think those who want to "help people" always have a rude awakening when they realize patients will rarely quitnsmoking, take their meds, lose weight, ormeven remember their surgeons name six months after a surgery.

OP was saying wanting to be a hero/saint is NOT the reason he entered medicine. More for the money/status etc.
 
Gtfo before your debt accumulates. I think those who want to "help people" always have a rude awakening when they realize patients will rarely quitnsmoking, take their meds, lose weight, ormeven remember their surgeons name six months after a surgery.

The OP wasn't saying he went into medicine to help people, he was saying the opposite.

To the OP: Not everyone is doing this because they love dealing with patients and feel that this is some great calling. Once that idealism wears off the money and job security keep a lot of people going. Some of these people are miserable though, and without some passion for it it'll be a long and hard road. The good news is, there are lots of options to limit your hours if you so choose, e.g. do EM and work 10 shifts a month (a lot of nights, though), use your MD for something non-clinical, or do PM&R and have a pretty sweet lifestyle.

You may just be getting overwhelmed with first year, it happens to the best of us. If you're feeling depressed or anxious, seek out your school's counseling. It's a big decision to make, so make sure it's really what you want. First year is a lot different than being a physician, so go shadow some docs and really ask yourself if you could do this day in and day out.

With that being said, doctors get paid a lot and have decent prestige because they work their tails off and deal with a lot of stress. It isn't easy at all, and things may only be getting harder. You have an opportunity to bail now without having a ton of debt, so do some soul-searching. If you truly feel in your gut that this isn't for you, bail before you get locked in. It may be the best decision of your life.
 
Job Security is NOT the reason to enter this profession. It's a perk, but it's not the reason to enter it. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice to have the admiration and pride of family wearing your white coat, etc. and the self-esteem from that is immense. But long after that has faded, you will be dealing with this alone - you will study alone, you will take call alone, you will be working in residency dealing with residents/attendings alone, etc.

Medicine truly is a service profession. I know "calling" sounds cliche, but it really is true for medicine. "Calling" meaning you're expected to do things that you don't get paid extra for. Even if you were of the alternate scenario that you only want to do medicine bc you love the "science of medicine" (and I think all us SDN nerds do, to an extent), I would tell you that's not enough to go into medicine, bc medicine is so much more than that, which you figure out in the MS-3 year. There are many other healthcare fields (which you can see on SDN) that are available to you - as well as other careers.

I repeat: Prestige/status, salary, and job security alone are not good reasons to pursue medicine, esp. now that the profession is actively changing to where many specialties are becoming more "team-based" rather than geared towards being the individual physician who treats the patient, mainly due to Obamacare. Be lucky you figured it out first semester of M1 and leave. Nothing is wrong with your value set. It's just that those reasons alone aren't good ones to pursue medicine, something you will potentially practice till you retire.

Advising people to quit while they can or not trying something difficult (in your advice to MS4s interested in surgery) is not always the right thing to do. We often make decisions based on the best information available, but things are often different once you get into it. Our perception changes, as do our expectations and what we are willing to tolerate. More importantly, different people are different. So this advice cannot be applied to everyone.

To the OP: I think those who come to medicine with fantasies about saving the world are often disappointed as we often treat rather than cure disease (i.e. chronic state of feeling crappy), and as noted above, patient compliance and appreciation can be demoralizing. Personally, I believe that those going into medicine because of their interest in science and wanting a challenge that's like no other are those who don't burn out and can keep going. You mention money/status etc as reasons for going to medical school. Those are still valid and will be there when you're done. You will have plenty of time as an attending to do what you want outside of work. However, until then, you can expect to have very little control over your life and you have to be ok with that. While you have some free time as a student/resident, it's sporadic and unpredictable which makes social planning difficult.

As along as you're willing to work your tail off for the next 7-10 years, you should stick with it. Otherwise, you can leave medicine but realize that the cost of having tons of free time and flexibility will likely be earning much much less than any physician. I'm sure most of us have college buddies that went straight into a 70-100k/year job after college, but realize most college grads aren't earning anywhere near that (nor have job security).
 
Advising people to quit while they can or not trying something difficult (in your advice to MS4s interested in surgery) is not always the right thing to do. We often make decisions based on the best information available, but things are often different once you get into it. Our perception changes, as do our expectations and what we are willing to tolerate. More importantly, different people are different. So this advice cannot be applied to everyone.

To the OP: I think those who come to medicine with fantasies about saving the world are often disappointed as we often treat rather than cure disease (i.e. chronic state of feeling crappy), and as noted above, patient compliance and appreciation can be demoralizing. Personally, I believe that those going into medicine because of their interest in science and wanting a challenge that's like no other are those who don't burn out and can keep going. You mention money/status etc as reasons for going to medical school. Those are still valid and will be there when you're done. You will have plenty of time as an attending to do what you want outside of work. However, until then, you can expect to have very little control over your life and you have to be ok with that. While you have some free time as a student/resident, it's sporadic and unpredictable which makes social planning difficult.

As along as you're willing to work your tail off for the next 7-10 years, you should stick with it. Otherwise, you can leave medicine but realize that the cost of having tons of free time and flexibility will likely be earning much much less than any physician. I'm sure most of us have college buddies that went straight into a 70-100k/year job after college, but realize most college grads aren't earning anywhere near that (nor have job security).
I never advised people to quit surgery bc it's difficult. You should read my posts again and see the underlying point that I was getting at. The point (which you missed) was to be very much aware of what is entailed in surgery residency as it is a long 5 years (7 if there are research years in between). Also read the OP's post in this thread -- he said he entered medical school solely for: Prestige/status, salary, and job security. Those are TERRIBLE reasons as those things WILL NOT sustain you long-term in the physician pathway. It might work in dentistry (ask @fancymylotus).
 
I never advised people to quit surgery bc it's difficult. You should read my posts again and see the underlying point that I was getting at. The point (which you missed) was to be very much aware of what is entailed in surgery residency as it is a long 5 years (7 if there are research years in between). Also read the OP's post in this thread -- he said he entered medical school solely for: Prestige/status, salary, and job security. Those are TERRIBLE reasons as those things WILL NOT sustain you long-term in the physician pathway. It might work in dentistry (ask @fancymylotus).

Nope- didn't miss your point.

My point is that different people are interested in or motivated by different things. I agree that the OP's reasons aren't the best to sustain one through medical training, but he's already in med school, and quitting isn't exactly an easy thing to do.
 
The other side of the coin is that wanting to "help people" is not a good enough reason to enter med school either. There are tons of other jobs/careers that allow you to help people and many of those jobs/careers require much less sacrifice of time, money, etc.

For me med school was a means to an end really. Back when I applied none of my passions or interests could translate into a real job. Lots of my friends were going to med school and it seemed like the easiest track to a reasonably secure career with adequate pay and "power" (i.e. I didn't want to be a nurse and have to always answer to the docs). By "easiest track" I mean that all you have to do is get in, pass, not be a jackass, and voila you're in for a $200k+ career the rest of your life. Much easier than getting (and keeping) any other guaranteed (basically) $200k+ job.

Since then (I'm an MS2 now) I've really started to love the science and also the patient interaction. So, like you, perhaps I went in for all the wrong reasons, but I'm finding out that the experience has been a positive one and I honestly do look forward to each new day of learning.
 
Last edited:
Nope- didn't miss your point.

My point is that different people are interested in or motivated by different things. I agree that the OP's reasons aren't the best to sustain one through medical training, but he's already in med school, and quitting isn't exactly an easy thing to do.
He is in his first semester of medical school. Better a $25,000 mistake with lessons learned, than a $200,000 mistake. The only hard thing at this point is ego.
 
The other side of the coin is that wanting to "help people" is not a good enough reason to enter med school either. There are tons of other jobs/careers that allow you to help people and many of those jobs/careers require much less sacrifice of time, money, etc.

For me med school was a means to an end really. Back when I applied none of my passions or interests could translate into a real job. Lots of my friends were going to med school and it seemed like the easiest track to a reasonably secure career with adequate pay and "power" (i.e. I didn't want to be a nurse and have to always answer to the docs). By "easiest track" I mean that all you have to do is get in, pass, not be a jackass, and voila you're in for a $200k+ career the rest of your life. Much easier than getting (and keeping) any other guaranteed (basically) $200k+ job.

Since then (I'm an MS2 now) I've really started to love the science and also the patient interaction. So, like you, perhaps I went in for all the wrong reasons, but I'm finding out that the experience has been a positive one and I honestly do look forward to each new day of learning.
As a doctor you will "answer" to nurses. They can make your life a living hell as a resident/intern. You'll be amazed how impotent an attending physician can be when a charge nurse/nursing administrator is involved. I agree with you, wanting to "help people" alone is also not a good reason. Medicine is a "calling" in the true sense of the word, and you'll feel that at least during internship of residency.

Also, you are not "guaranteed" 200 K in salary your first step out of residency. See the hospitalist thread discussion somewhere here.
 
Nope- didn't miss your point.

My point is that different people are interested in or motivated by different things. I agree that the OP's reasons aren't the best to sustain one through medical training, but he's already in med school, and quitting isn't exactly an easy thing to do.
I was referring to my posts in the surgery thread. Yes, you did miss my point as I clearly delineated it there.
 
As a doctor you will "answer" to nurses. They can make your life a living hell as a resident/intern. You'll be amazed how impotent an attending physician can be when a charge nurse/nursing administrator is involved. I agree with you, wanting to "help people" alone is also not a good reason. Medicine is a "calling" in the true sense of the word, and you'll feel that at least during internship of residency.

Yeah, somewhere in the middle of M1 I realized that the lay-public view of nursing/physician hierarchy is kind of backwards. It also comes back to the concept of teamwork, which is something that I didn't anticipate, but obviously now understand is hugely important. I do agree with the whole "calling" thing even if it sounds cliche. With that said, it's really sad that the application process is in some ways built to weed out people like me and OP who don't know what their "calling" is at the age of 21 (or younger).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Medicine is a job, and it is more corporate every year.
You either want to do the job or you don't.
You don't have to be a neurosurgeon on call every 3rd night for 30 years at a trauma center. You can be a shift worker in the ED, hospitalist, etc. You can pick a lifestyle specialty like Derm or PM&R. There are lots of options and variations in those career options. I have friends that work 60+ hours a week in anesthesia with several calls a month. I have less than one call a month and only work 200 days a year at about 50 hrs a week. Decide if you want to do the work or not. Maybe shadow some people in different specialties.
Also, don't forget that you don't have to practice clinical medicine at all. Your degree will open other doors as well. I would at least finish out the year before you decide.
And you sound like you lack balance in your life. Use time efficiently, make time for daily exercise, make dinner plans with your friends, go out for coffee or a beer to blow off steam, start dating, etc. When your balance is back, you may feel differently.
 
Last edited:
The truth is that I was allured by the following things: Prestige/status that comes with being a doctor, the reasonably well paid job, and last but more importantly job security.
There are better jobs. Honestly if you don't at all mention the intellectual rigor, 'helping people', the clinical environment, or the lifelong student aspects of medicine, I can't imagine that the rest of your life will be enjoyable. I'm too early on in the process myself to say "find another job", but I would strongly suggest that you start considering alternatives. Unless you've got a family to bail you out, once you put in 3 years of med school, you're financially committed.

Also consider other healthcare related jobs that you can get with an MD. You honestly sound like someone that might do well as an MD/JD who sits on hospital boards.
 
I didn't receive ''the calling'' as most others say they did. The truth is that I was allured by the following things: Prestige/status that comes with being a doctor, the reasonably well paid job, and last but more importantly job security.
Nothing is wrong with that...
 
it's only a couple years ago I set my goal to get into medicine. Now that I got into Med school (just started this year) I regret applying for it. The truth is that I didn't want to become a doctor, because It was my number one goal in life to help people, be a hero or a saint of some sort. I didn't receive ''the calling'' as most others say they did. The truth is that I was allured by the following things: Prestige/status that comes with being a doctor, the reasonably well paid job, and last but more importantly job security.

Dropping out crosses my mind almost everyday, but this is not an easy decision. Everyone in my family is very proud and happy that I got into med school, and leaving it would be a blow to them, so I feel like I have to finish this. Besides I will feel bad for having taken someone elses spot if I do quit. but The truth is Im not happy doing what I do so far, and I am having a hard time just motivating myself to study. It's very time consuming, I feel like I have no life beside studying, and I am afraid it's gonna be like that for at least 5 more years. Then there is the fear that even as a doctor, you might be so busy, you will have no life outside of work. So the thought that has crossed my mind most over the past month is what's the point of having status, wealth, and an almost 99% job security, if you aren't happy and too busy studying/working all the time?
tumblr_n2qz88Pz4K1sy5ibzo1_r1_500.gif

Yeah, you ****ed up bro. So bad that the only appropriate gif I had was of Eminem. You messed up that bad.
 
It is if those are your ONLY reasons for pursuing medical school. All those things won't be there until you're an attending - which isn't at least for 7+ years.
Job security is one reason for me ... and I hope it is still the same in 7 years... I could care less about the prestige nonsense.
 
It's fine if it's one of a plethora of reasons. It shouldn't be the main reason by far.
I am not sure I have a main reason... I just want to do a job, get paid and not subject to economic downturns... I have seen so many sh1t. No jobs is perfect unless you happen to be in congress... I have two engineers and 1 lawyer in my class that left their <80k/year jobs and they all said they were tired with constant pressure of meeting up deadlines for a low wage job. They all said they were working more than 50 hours/wk without even counting the hours they work at home... It ain't rosy anywhere bro!
 
I'm curious to know what you believe the right reasons to pursue a career in medicine are.
If prestige/salary/job security are not good reasons... What is left? I guess you have to love medicine for him... 🙄
 
Last edited:
Nope- didn't miss your point.

My point is that different people are interested in or motivated by different things. I agree that the OP's reasons aren't the best to sustain one through medical training, but he's already in med school, and quitting isn't exactly an easy thing to do.
I am not sure why you think 'fame' and money is not enough of a motivation to get someone thru med school... These are big prices for most people I know... I guess I might be living in a different world!
 
If everyone became a doc because they enjoyed helping ppl then they would not pay 130_200 thousand a year. Honestly unless there is something wrong with you i think most everyone enjoys helping ppl.
 
Honestly, the daily grind of being a med student on rotations/resident/doctor is HARD. The hours can be long and hard. You're going to be seeing patients back to back. You're going to have to deal with a lot. If you don't like what you're doing, that makes it even harder. I'm an MS3; when the going gets tough, the one thing I have to fall back on is that at least I'm helping people. At least I'm doing my best to make a difference in even the smallest way possible. You have to ask yourself, what is really going to keep you going when you get to that point?
 
Honestly, the daily grind of being a med student on rotations/resident/doctor is HARD. The hours can be long and hard. You're going to be seeing patients back to back. You're going to have to deal with a lot. If you don't like what you're doing, that makes it even harder. I'm an MS3; when the going gets tough, the one thing I have to fall back on is that at least I'm helping people. At least I'm doing my best to make a difference in even the smallest way possible. You have to ask yourself, what is really going to keep you going when you get to that point?
Ya but even a grocery bagger makes a difference. Nice try tho.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm curious to know what you believe the right reasons to pursue a career in medicine are.
It's not a question of right vs. wrong. The point is that reasons like money, prestige, status, and job security are not reasons that will sustain you thru the rigor of medical school, residency, and even beyond. There's a reason that physicians have such a high rate of suicide and medical students have high rates of anxiety/depression (sometimes leading to suicide) in comparison to the general population.
 
Honestly, the daily grind of being a med student on rotations/resident/doctor is HARD. The hours can be long and hard. You're going to be seeing patients back to back. You're going to have to deal with a lot. If you don't like what you're doing, that makes it even harder. I'm an MS3; when the going gets tough, the one thing I have to fall back on is that at least I'm helping people. At least I'm doing my best to make a difference in even the smallest way possible. You have to ask yourself, what is really going to keep you going when you get to that point?
Don't worry -- they plan on having the money, prestige, and job security (that they don't have) to push them thru it.
 
If everyone became a doc because they enjoyed helping ppl then they would not pay 130_200 thousand a year. Honestly unless there is something wrong with you i think most everyone enjoys helping ppl.
No one said just wanting to help people is a good reason either to enter medical school and take on a 6 figure mortgage with no house.
 
It's not a question of right vs. wrong. The point is that reasons like money, prestige, status, and job security are not reasons that will sustain you thru the rigor of medical school, residency, and even beyond. There's a reason that physicians have such a high rate of suicide and medical students have high rates of anxiety/depression (sometimes leading to suicide) in comparison to the general population.

Okay that makes sense.

What are reasons that will sustain one through the rigor of medical school, etc?

Also, what is the reason that physicians and med students have such terrifying depression/suicide rates? 😱
 
Okay that makes sense.

What are reasons that will sustain one through the rigor of medical school, etc?

Also, what is the reason that physicians and med students have such terrifying depression/suicide rates? 😱
You're a medical student. You truly can't imagine even one reason why med students/physicians have such high rates of anxiety, depression, and suicide, in comparison to the general population? Are you just starting?
 
How exactly does "helping patients" sustain you during preclinical years when the only patient contact you get is with a paid actor?
 
Okay that makes sense.

What are reasons that will sustain one through the rigor of medical school, etc?

Also, what is the reason that physicians and med students have such terrifying depression/suicide rates? 😱
Medical education is a ****ing meat grinder.
 
How exactly does "helping patients" sustain you during preclinical years when the only patient contact you get is with a paid actor?
Many medical schools have MS-1/MS-2 students go to real outpatient clinics to practice history and physical exam skills and get direct patient contact. They aren't standardized patients.
 
You're a medical student. You truly can't imagine even one reason why med students/physicians have such high rates of anxiety, depression, and suicide, in comparison to the general population? Are you just starting?

I am indeed just starting. I'm an M1. I've heard this fact about depression/suicide rates bandied about, but nobody seems to know what the answer is as to why.

Also, could you please list some of the reasons for going into medicine which will sustain one for med school + residency? I'm very interested in knowing what they are, because I am worried about my own ability to sustain the drive necessary.
 
Many medical schools have MS-1/MS-2 students go to real outpatient clinics to practice history and physical exam skills and get direct patient contact. They aren't standardized patients.
Oh. I did something kind of like that but it's only for three times in the entire first year, I think. I mean it was cool and I enjoyed it, but it's hardly enough to sustain one throughout the drudgery of the preclinical years.
 
Oh. I did something kind of like that but it's only for three times in the entire first year, I think. I mean it was cool and I enjoyed it, but it's hardly enough to sustain one throughout the drudgery of the preclinical years.
Well it's not 3 times a year. It's usually like once a week during preclinicals outside of lectures.
 
I am not sure why you think 'fame' and money is not enough of a motivation to get someone thru med school... These are big prices for most people I know... I guess I might be living in a different world!

Actually, the post that you quote was my response to someone who was arguing that fame and money are essentially NEVER good enough reasons. I started by saying different people are motivated by different things - i.e., some might very well be motivated enough by these things.
 
I am indeed just starting. I'm an M1. I've heard this fact about depression/suicide rates bandied about, but nobody seems to know what the answer is as to why.

Also, could you please list some of the reasons for going into medicine which will sustain one for med school + residency? I'm very interested in knowing what they are, because I am worried about my own ability to sustain the drive necessary.
There are many answers it's just hard to explain unless you've gone thru it a little. Part of it is academics driven in terms of grades, boards, etc. and not being top of the class anymore, part of it is hidden curriculum driven esp. in the M3 years in which you are interacting with interns, residents, attendings, nothing you ever do is good enough, you're tired and exhausted, sleep-deprived, in debt up to your eyeballs, you're always playing catch up, the studying never ends even after med school, constant competition, patients whom you realize that you can't really change or "help" them as you imagined, constant scrutiny by patients, media, regulatory bodies, patient safety advocates, patients who believe your services should be given to them for free, etc.

I think it's more specific to the physician pathway, vs. the NP/PA pathway which is much easier, less expected responsibility, more work-life balance, etc. I think if you truly can't imagine yourself in any other career, then physician is right for you - but with that decision means more responsibility, more malpractice, more grabbing of your time, no clocking in-clocking out like other allied health professionals do. There's a reason people say don't go into medicine for the money, bc as a resident and even as an attending for a hospital, you will be giving care many times, unrenumerated.
 
Great troll post considering you just joined today. Try trolling harder - you get 0/10 for that performance.
Im not trolling. Im just saying that most ppl think its a great response to , why medicine.

Btw ive seen many of your posts, as a lurker, and respect your opinion
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im not trolling. Im just saying that most ppl think its a great response to , why medicine.

Btw ive seen many of your posts, as a lurker, and respect your opinion
A grocery bagger is nothing close to medicine. People can bag their own groceries. Med school admissions officers will quiz you mercilessly on the "wanting to help people" shtick. That reason hasn't worked for decades - bc it's well known that there are many professions that "help people" not just physicians.
 
I had one of my classmates who is a lawyer read dermviser's advice, he thought that derm is a troll... Most people don't get up everyday looking forward to going to work...
 
I had one of my classmates who is a lawyer read dermviser's advice, he thought that derm is a troll... Most people don't get up everyday looking forward to going to work...
I could care less what a **** lawyer thinks about me. You're correct most people don't get up everyday looking forward to work. However, most people don't have to go thru 4 years of college + 4 years of med school + 3-7 years of residency, before they start earning a salary to pay off their six figure nondischargeable tuition debt with accruing interest. Medicine is a "calling" for a reason - bc your layman guy on the street wouldn't be able to handle that level of scrutiny of every test/imaging/lab/treatment they order, the amount of delayed gratification, malpractice, etc. It's not "just a job" when people's lives are in your hands.

Medical school/medicine isn't taking multiple choice exams and being happy that you got an "A".
 
I could care less what a **** lawyer thinks about me. You're correct most people don't get up everyday looking forward to work. However, most people don't have to go thru 4 years of college + 4 years of med school + 3-7 years of residency, before they start earning a salary to pay off their six figure nondischargeable tuition debt with accruing interest. Medicine is a "calling" for a reason - bc your layman guy on the street wouldn't be able to handle that level of scrutiny of every test/imaging/lab/treatment they order, the amount of delayed gratification, malpractice, etc. It's not "just a job" when people's lives are in your hands.

Medical school/medicine isn't taking multiple choice exams and being happy that you got an "A".
🙄🙄🙄 They said the same thing when I was in nursing school... I guess everything is a calling these days...
 
🙄🙄🙄 They said the same thing when I was in nursing school... I guess everything is a calling.
You can roll your emoticon eyes all you want. You'll see soon enough as an M3 why reasons like perceived prestige, future attending salary, and future job security will not be able to sustain you as a physician. They're great perks but they're not good reasons, especially when there are shorter pathways to relatively the same end.

I'll believe nursing is a calling, when they let go of their unions to negotiate their contracts. The level of delayed gratification in nursing to make a paycheck, is nothing compared to medicine.