Did I improve my application in someway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPsychiatry

Go Angels!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
didn't do much this year. No MCAT retake.
However, I did these:

40 hours at ER/Trauma Center
80 Hours at a city clinic
300 hours at clinical microbio laboratory

Did I at least improve my app a bit, in case I reapply?

Members don't see this ad.

didn't do much this year. No MCAT retake.
However, I did these:

40 hours at ER/Trauma Center
80 Hours at a city clinic
300 hours at clinical microbio laboratory

Did I at least improve my app a bit, in case I reapply?

DocPsych
I tried to look up your other posts to find out if u put your stats somewhere. Needless to say, your activity on SDN has been too voluminous for that to have actually worked...;)

What were your gpa/mcats?

All the stuff you mentioned above are terrific. Did the microbio lab have a grade of publication, poster, etc associated?

3.7, 29 (8 verbal)

from Cal

like i said, i might retake the MCAT in Sept without checking it on AMCAS. later on, update the score to the schools

Members don't see this ad :)
hence, the dilemma of rea-applying early without the new MCAT. I guess I will since I did not apply to at least 20 low-tier schools this year yet, I still managed some interviews. I think I can get 31 to 35 next time

hence, the dilemma of rea-applying early without the new MCAT. I guess I will since I did not apply to at least 20 low-tier schools this year yet, I still managed some interviews. I think I can get 31 to 35 next time

Don't think, act!

Many places think that if you don't get in and had a sub-30 MCAT, then you should have shown your passion for medicine by retaking it.

Don't think, act!

Many places think that if you don't get in and had a sub-30 MCAT, then you should have shown your passion for medicine by retaking it.

so take it in Sept and then re-apply? That is pretty late though :(

I have a question. How come some adcoms tell me I shouldn't retake the MCAT unless I could get 32+ next time. I got 29 this time with 8 on verbal. I usually got 12-13 on my practice PS but got only 10 on the real deal. And I know I didn't do as well as I could have on verbal. i know I can improve the MCAT for sure but if the luck goes against me or I jack up on verbal again, I might end up with only ~31 or so.

well, so what im wondering is why did (5 different) adcoms told me not to retake unless I will get at least 32 next time. Any ideas or thoughts?

well, so what im wondering is why did (5 different) adcoms told me not to retake unless I will get at least 32 next time. Any ideas or thoughts?

Maybe it is a subtle cue that sub-32 in Cali is a tall order for admissions. I don't know, I've never applied there.

The MCAT people will say that retaking it will statistically yield little success because it is a test of reasoning and not memorization. I probably agree, but schools I've been to want to see you try to improve if they feel your score was too low for them.

I improved considerably just by going through EK verbal passages once.

You should apply, what if you retake the mcat and have a bad day and score lower, apply to some safe schools. Even better call some schools and ask them what they might recommend on the MCAT first. Not everyone who re-takes the MCAT scores higher the second time so be cautious.

Don't think, act!

Precisely why i plan on retaking it. Glad i had the right idea.

Critical, i love the multi-avatars.

Don't give up on trying to improve your mcat score. I went up a mere 3 points (28 to 31) and now i'm re-applying with the slightly upgraded scores. I think if you're driven enough and know what exactly you did wrong and what you could do better, you could break the 30 threshold.