pharmacy residency advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utlonghorns1993666

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
is residency worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I go to a pharmacy school in the southwest and I just messed up. I essentially got caught cheating on a test. My GPA is going to fall to around a 3.1 and I will be receiving an academic misconduct. Are my chances for residency gone because of this academic misconduct, assuming I can get my GPA up to about a 3.4?

Thanks guys.

This is going to be tough and your GPA is not going to matter. This happened to someone in my class and got the academic misconduct notice attached to his file. Pretty much anywhere he applied that asked for his academic record had this notice attached to it. No programs went anywhere near him.

You didn't ruin your life. You made a mistake that you will learn from

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how you will take this, not to bring your hopes up or down, but you must realize the gravity of your situation here.

I absolutely hated the fact that some people cheated on tests during school whilst some students wouldn't go that far and risk their academic standing or even be pushed back a year to repeat a course. We all have our reasons but from an ethical standpoint, I don't know how much I agree with your actions.

Then again my opinion is irrelevant here on what you did; I am no academic police here. What I can tell you for a fact is an academic misconduct is part of your permanent record. When we look at candidates we look at them as a whole. We can forgive and forget a lot of things (I would say our program is very nice in this aspect). GPA isn't all that important amongst all the usual stuff we look at. But a misconduct is something we have no room for. If you cheated on this exam there is nothing to say you didn't on others (i'm not saying you did but how can you prove otherwise now that you have been caught once - admit to cheating on other exams?).

It's hard to think of it from a different perspective (if you were to do so) but ask yourself what an RPD would think about when he sees something like this: "If he cheated on an exam what if he/she cheated with his staffing hours. What else have they cheated on? Can I trust this person?"

I'm playing the devil's advocate here but really it's not the best thing to have on your record, ever. There is no need to cheat if you are prepared. If you are not prepared improve your processes. Ask for help. Reach out to your instructors. You pay a lot of money every year and you are ruining yourself financially with your education - make the most out of it and don't mess it up.

Sorry if I sound preachy but I really don't think you should underestimate how bad these things are.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys. I go to a pharmacy school in the southwest and I just messed up. I essentially got caught cheating on a test. My GPA is going to fall to around a 3.1 and I will be receiving an academic misconduct. Are my chances for residency gone because of this academic misconduct, assuming I can get my GPA up to about a 3.4?

Thanks guys.
No you did yourself a favor. Distancing yourself from pharmacy as much as possible is the best thing you can do.

If I found out you cheated when reviewing your app I would move along to one of the 50 other applications. Honest truth.

Reactions: 1 users
If I found out you cheated when reviewing your app I would move along to one of the 50 other applications. Honest truth.

Hey, understand something now. Everybody cheats, especially in the corporate world. You just got caught. It happens. I don't think residency is going to save anyone anymore. Your just specializing yourself even further to a smaller area of pharmacy, with less opportunities. Most likely you will end up in retail, these are the last days too, so do be careful. You may have spared yourself from a nightmare.

If I was looking at your application and saw this I would be very skeptical. Too many applicants to consider people who cheat or steal.
What is "essentially cheating"? You do not think you were cheating, just kind of cheating?

not gonna preach - you know you messed up -
will this be on your transcript? How obvious is it? How much will each program actually read your transcript vs just verifying your GPA ? All of these questions need to be answered to answer your questions. If anyone sees it - you are thrown out of 95% of the programs - but I think there is a good chance people won't even realize it.