Did I just ruin myself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

singularity2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently interviewed at this one school in the Northeast and would love to attend if admitted. This would involve paying OOS tuition, but I am convinced that it's worth the price.

So, knowing that my file would go to committee soon my interview, I submitted a letter of intent to the admissions committee stating reasons for why I would be an excellent fit and that I would attend the school if accepted.

However, I am now regretting my decision to send this letter - not because it essentially binds me to the school - but because it might be perceived
as irresponsible and could adversely affect my chances for acceptance. The decision was based on a frank assessment of my situation: my stats are pretty average if not below average, it was getting somewhat late in the application cycle, and I hadn't received many interviews (i.e. I was lucky to even get invited to interview at this particular institution).

I'm not sure if my letter was even brought up during the subsequent meeting, as according to my latest status change, it appears that I wasn't rejected after my file went to it's final review (this school utilizes a point system). Many of the people to whom I have spoken to about this stated that the letter was "desperate" and/or "pathetic." I know that what's done is done, but if this is the case, is there anything I can do to help the situation in the meantime?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you've done all that you can do. I would just leave it alone. What are you going to do, send a letter saying that you're not definitely going to attend the school after all? I'm sure that will look great.

Just relax. I doubt it will make much of a difference at all either way.

I recently interviewed at this one school in the Northeast and would love to attend if admitted. This would involve paying OOS tuition, but I am convinced that it's worth the price.

So, knowing that my file would go to committee soon my interview, I submitted a letter of intent to the admissions committee stating reasons for why I would be an excellent fit and that I would attend the school if accepted.

However, I am now regretting my decision to send this letter - not because it essentially binds me to the school - but because it might be perceived
as irresponsible and could adversely affect my chances for acceptance. The decision was based on a frank assessment of my situation: my stats are pretty average if not below average, it was getting somewhat late in the application cycle, and I hadn't received many interviews (i.e. I was lucky to even get invited to interview at this particular institution).

I'm not sure if my letter was even brought up during the subsequent meeting, as according to my latest status change, it appears that I wasn't rejected after my file went to it's final review (this school utilizes a point system). Many of the people to whom I have spoken to about this stated that the letter was "desperate" and/or "pathetic." I know that what's done is done, but if this is the case, is there anything I can do to help the situation in the meantime?

It is to the best of my knowledge that whoever opens the mail (which is quite likely not who you sent it to, but someone in the admissions office), places it in your folder so that the committee can read it if they like. To my knowledge they don't spend that much time on it or put a lot of interest into it, because they tend to all sound the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
why do you think sending a letter of intent was wrong? I dont understand how it could adversely affect your chances; Im thinking of sending a letter of intent, and when i called the school im interested in, they said it could only help my app, not harm it. I dont think you should worry too much about it hurting you.

Last edited:
is there anything I can do to help the situation in the meantime?

Nope. Live and learn. I generally think you should wait till you're waitlisted, but it's less of a big deal than you think. If they liked you they liked you, if not you'll find out. Your letter would never convince them to reject you, but it will make them confident you'll attend after they accept you. Don't worry, maybe a little hasty (in that if you're going to be rejected, a letter won't bump you up to accepted/waitlist) but it's fine. Good luck!

Last edited:
Why would a school view it as irresponsible? You are simply reaffirming your interest in their program, something that they can do no less than appreciate when determining whether or not to offer you an acceptance (they would be less concerned with you not accepting the spot down the line). I wouldn't expect it to have a major impact on the decision, but I definitely would not expect them to label you as irresponsible and subsequently lower their ranking of your application solely because of it.

Relax, and remember to take some of the SDN comments that influenced you to think this way (many of which are fringe and/or pulled from limited source material) with a grain of salt.

I like your motivation and think writing the letter is wise. Sounds like you want the school and communicated that. You get nothing without asking.

Best wishes,
D712