Did I kill my app by talking about CAM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmac82

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So you said you bring something to the Class because you were exposed to CAM by a relative?

That would hurt you with me.

You basically wrote "I bring my interest in unproven claims to the Class"

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
So you said you bring something to the Class because you were exposed to CAM by a relative?

That would hurt you with me.

You basically wrote "I bring my interest in unproven claims to the Class"
I think I worded my original post poorly with “my interest in CAM”. In my essay I specifically said the social backgrounds behind CAM. I talked about how first being exposed to CAM by a relative pushed me to individually examine the background/philosophy behind CAM and medicine from different cultures in general (including taking on an additional major around these topics), and why CAM is viewed as efficacious by other parts of the world. I stated that I above all support evidence and science-based approach to medicine but think that examining the social aspects of CAM may aid us in promoting cultural competence in treating patients of non-western backgrounds. I don’t want to learn how to do CAM techniques, I just think it’s good to be aware of other cultural viewpoints on medicine. I'm not sure if even an interest in just the social parts of CAM is okay if it's really viewed upon in that negative of a light, but I felt like my original post didn't explain my interest correctly. Nonetheless I appreciate the honest reply and criticism.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I worded my original post poorly with “my interest in CAM”. In my essay I specifically said the social backgrounds behind CAM. I talked about how first being exposed to CAM by a relative pushed me to individually examine the background/philosophy behind CAM and medicine from different cultures in general (including taking on an additional major around these topics), and why CAM is viewed as efficacious by other parts of the world. I stated that I above all support evidence and science-based approach to medicine but think that examining the social aspects of CAM may aid us in promoting cultural competence in treating patients of non-western backgrounds. I don’t want to learn how to do CAM techniques, I just think it’s good to be aware of other cultural viewpoints on medicine. I'm not sure if even an interest in just the social parts of CAM is okay if it's really viewed upon in that negative of a light, but I felt like my original post didn't explain my interest correctly. Nonetheless I appreciate the honest reply and criticism.
This type of thinking is very common in these types of posts, and they're all non-starters, because people are basically saying "I add to diversity because I "know something." as opposed to "I add to diversity because I lived something or know how to DO something.

Reactions: 1 users
This type of thinking is very common in these types of posts, and they're all non-starters, because people are basically saying "I add to diversity because I "know something." as opposed to "I add to diversity because I lived something or know how to DO something.
Understood. I appreciate the wake-up call.

Reactions: 1 users
Replacing CAM with OMM in this conversation would yield pretty interesting results 👀

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Writing about how you have observed CAM and how that leads you to better understand another culture and what that culture expects from medical treatment could be an interesting topic. As long as the emphasis is on the culture and what you've learned, and not on the CAM techniques themselves.

Reactions: 1 user
Writing about how you have observed CAM and how that leads you to better understand another culture and what that culture expects from medical treatment could be an interesting topic. As long as the emphasis is on the culture and what you've learned, and not on the CAM techniques themselves.
This is definitely the approach I attempted to take. Thank you for your response and insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.