Did i really mess this up??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trek

Grand Uranium Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying like most of you guys & girls to the 2002 entering class. My problem is about those "tell me about yourself" essays that are optional. So far I've sent off a few that dealt with my past in HS. I was a trouble maker back then, involved in gangs and all types of crap. No drugs, no alcohol, and no criminal record thanks to community service and lenient people. Since entering college, i'm spotless, and now regularly work with the type of kids i used to be. I've been writing this in to schools, but i'm now worried. Many schools that are interviewing haven't gotten back to me, even tho my stats are above average for their school. Does anyone think turning this essay in could have something to do with it? Please let me know- i was sure to make it turn out positive & tie it into medicine, but it still contained the stuff about "Bad Trek_OCLV" !!! Help

Members don't see this ad.

What's done is done. It sounds as if the essays were well done, but who knows if someone on some adcom might take offense. At this point all you can do is wait and see. If you come from a "disadvantaged" background and that was the reason for your involvement in gangs, etc. then it could work in your favor. I'm sure that the proportion of applicants that already have interviews scheduled is miniscule. It just happens that most of them post here! Good luck.

I'm not disadvantaged, but a case could be made that i was at the time (my family now has better jobs/income). I didn't claim to be on my AMCAS anyway. Maybe i'm paranoid. I know there's some stodgy folks on adcoms, and while i'm not a sociopathic murderer, i feel that anything not orthodox will come over that way to those guys. Lets hope i'm wrong. Anyone have any experiences with turning in these types of essays?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and i forgot to add- thanks very much SMW for making me feel a bit better!

I actually think it will work in your favor, the more I think about it. Bad guy makes good is always an appealing story. Who could resist the part about your work with kids like you used to be? Don't worry so much. If your stats are OK and you applied to an appropriate range of schools, you'll get a chance to show some of those stodgy folks what a charming, non-sociopathic guy you are now. ;) Sorry I don't have any experience to draw on as I'm a first time applicant myself.