Did I Ruin My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KianaB21

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question with multiple parts. When I entered college 3 years ago everything went to plan and by the end of my freshman year I established good study habits and earned a 3.8 GPA. Between my freshman and sophomore year I ended up getting a job in a hotel and my career in hospitality took off. I was making a lot more money than I had ever seen and lost sight of my dreams of becoming a doctor. I spent the next two years working there and advancing my career while very much missing working toward the future of medicine I've envisioned since I was a child.

Last Spring I enrolled in community college and decided to become a night auditor, which would allow me to go to school. My first semester, my GPA was a 1.7. I was absolutely devastated. I went to a therapist, adjusted my study habits, and my GPA this semester was a 2.8. I got a B in Statistics, a B in Bio II, and a C in my community college transfer class. I am extremely upset and I feel really defeated. Working 50 hours overnight every week leaves me going to class exhausted and taking test unfocused.

My questions are:

Have I ruined my dreams of med school? I plan on retaking the Bio class for sure but I know the damage is pretty bad.

Does anyone have any advice about my work situation? I have thought about trying to drop to part time, which I used to work as a freshman.

Should I just transfer back to a four year university? I feel like part of my issue is that I dont like the community college environment. I earned a B in Bio lecture because of missing homework assignments. My test grades alone would have ensured an A but I'm not used to having so much busy work as a college student.

Do med schools take community college grades as seriously as they do grades from universities?

I have asked my advisor many of these questions but she doesn't have too much advice to offer me. Many of her students are adult learners just trying to get a degree and aren't focused on academic excellence.

I would appreciate any advice for the issues I'm facing.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@KianaB21 My concern atm is that your thinking is somewhat absolute. Chances in life are never just black and white circumstances when it comes to long term goals over a short term period. To be curt, you're not doing yourself a favor by failing to perform and working so many hours a week that it's affecting you from doing homework resulting in a B instead of an A. In short, you should consider making cuts in your life to bring academics as your number one priority. No more hypothetical A's and wishful thinking especially when you're not making choices in your life to give yourself a fighting chance when other applicants are maximizing their ability to perform.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have only completed three semesters and still have a large amount of credits before graduation, your chances are not ruined. I had a 2.8 gpa after my first year (two semesters) but was still able to raise my overall gpa to a 3.82 by the time I graduated. There is still time! Just buckle down, and when it comes time to explain inconsistencies in your academic record, explain it well.

@KianaB21 My concern atm is that your thinking is somewhat absolute. Chances in life are never just black and white circumstances when it comes to long term goals over a short term period. To be curt, you're not doing yourself a favor by failing to perform and working so many hours a week that it's affecting you from doing homework resulting in a B instead of an A. In short, you should consider making cuts in your life to bring academics as your number one priority. No more hypothetical A's and wishful thinking especially when you're not making choices in your life to give yourself a fighting chance when other applicants are maximizing their ability to perform.
I had a doctor tell me that it would look very good to a medical school if I was able to work full time undergrad. I didn't think I would fall so short with my grades. My focus on school was not my second priority, I just thought I would excel in all areas and I did not.

If you have only completed three semesters and still have a large amount of credits before graduation, your chances are not ruined. I had a 2.8 gpa after my first year (two semesters) but was still able to raise my overall gpa to a 3.82 by the time I graduated. There is still time! Just buckle down, and when it comes time to explain inconsistencies in your academic record, explain it well.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm glad that this isn't the end. It seems kind of dark right now.

I had a doctor tell me that it would look very good to a medical school if I was able to work full time undergrad. I didn't think I would fall so short with my grades. My focus on school was not my second priority, I just thought I would excel in all areas and I did not.
Don’t work full-time so that you’ll look good for medical school. Do it because you need the money. If you can, cut down on your hours. Your biggest priority should be focusing on school. Whether or not you had a job during undergrad, won’t save you during the screening process!

Hi :)

I'm definitely not an expert, but I also went (and still am) going through a similar problem where my gpa is just...completely destroyed LOL.
I'm working my way back up, and I asked here not too long ago if I even have a chance before I continue my premed education. And surprisingly most replies were positive!!! :)

Yes, it'll be a lot harder. We did slim our chances. But you know what....its not an "absolutely no"
So yeah, I'm definitely trying very hard. I'm sure you and I can still do this. :)

Hi :)

I'm definitely not an expert, but I also went (and still am) going through a similar problem where my gpa is just...completely destroyed LOL.
I'm working my way back up, and I asked here not too long ago if I even have a chance before I continue my premed education. And surprisingly most replies were positive!!! :)

Yes, it'll be a lot harder. We did slim our chances. But you know what....its not an "absolutely no"
So yeah, I'm definitely trying very hard. I'm sure you and I can still do this. :)
Love the attitude! Keep on grinding