did i say fellowship i meant followship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
k i'm lost here, i read the not so short thing to getting into medical school you know the drill and it spoke about following a doctor around... see thats what i meant... will a doctor let me follow him around and if so how would i go about doing that?
cheers

Members don't see this ad.

engdoc said:
k i'm lost here, i read the not so short thing to getting into medical school you know the drill and it spoke about following a doctor around... see thats what i meant... will a doctor let me follow him around and if so how would i go about doing that?
cheers

In that case I think you mean shadowing....I dont think followship is a word. But if you want to shadow a doctor, you could ask one you know personally or see if your school can arrange you to shadow a local one.

I don't know of anyone that calls it "followship". Everyone calls it "shadowing"...which is why people were confused.

You could ask your family doctor if he can set you up. Or your premed office might have connections. Possibly premed clubs like AMSA or whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed for three or four full weeks this summer...which may be a lot, but it was set up through my mom and a friend of the family...it was excellent

Volunteer at the local hospital and get to know some doc's. You can then fairly easily weed out the ones that would not allow you to follow them. Some docs are cool about it and others aren't. Also talk to and be nice to nurses: they can be like doorways to operating rooms. You wouldn't just walk up and ask a surgeon to let you observe a case, but if the scrub nurse does it for you, BAM, you're golden. Every minute of shadowing I had, I got by kicking, pulling hair, biting and just plain fighting dirty.

Good luck

after hours of deep thinking it has come to my attention that infact followship isnot even a word... and i kind of made up a word... anywhome... shadowing is what i meant. when would one go about doing this when is the optimal time... is anytime during premed or undergrad fine or the closer to matriculation the better?
p.s. i just ate at olive garden.. oh man i love those bread sticks
cheers

Start doing it as early as possible in order to (in rough order of importance):

1) See if you would honestly be satisfied with the career
2) Stay motivated, keeping your eyes on the prize once pre-reqs and MCAT prep hit
3) Have more experiences to speak about in essays, secondaries, interviews, etc
4) Personally connect with a physician for a letter of rec
5) Seem genuinely interested and not simply doing some last minute resume padding

Good luck :thumbup:

Ask your friends if they know any good docs. Then, muster up the courage to give him/her a call and/or show up at the door. That's what I did, and I ended up with an awesome LOR.

Parents' friends are a good place to start, too.