Did I shoot myself in the foot in terms of my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeDaMack

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a 3rd year student at a DO school that discovered the field of PM&R recently, and I love every aspect of it. I understand that the field is becoming more competitive every single year. And I am afraid I shot myself in the foot by taking step 1 when I was less than 100% ready. I wanted to get done with the exam before my rotations started, even though my practice scores weren't around where I wanted it to be and that resulted in me scoring below average.

Some stats:

Non-traditional
Step 1: 215
COMLEX : pending score but I am expecting >550
No red flags (never failed a class, no professionalism issues, slightly below average student at P/F school)
Good amount of volunteering and involvement in the community
1-2 research projects (None PM&R related)
Tons of corporate/work experience
All the feedback I've had from my previous attendings say that I am great to work with, and very social/easy going person that gets along with staff.

I plan on setting up 1-2 electives during the end of my 3rd year in outpatient PM&R, unfortunately my school does not have an affiliated hospital that has inpatient PM&R rotation.

I am open to matching anywhere, so location and prestige does not matter to me that much.

Do I have a chance?

What are the steps that I need to take in order to maximize my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

According to Charting Outcomes in the Match 2020, Matched DO applicants to PM&R had a mean Step 1 score of 224. There were a healthy 27 matched DO applicants with Step 1 scores between 211-220, only 3 unmatched.

Disclaimer: Not a PD, not even a resident, but I don't think a 215 is a death sentence for rehab. I am sure other forum members will be better able to articulate what you can do to be competitive going forward

Reactions: 1 users
same answer

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Things to help your chances:

1. Do well in rotations this year, especially IM/FM and Neuro
2. Show improvement in your Step 2 score
3. Get involved with PM&R related stuff. Anything. Sign-up for AAPMR membership for one (free for you). Check this page out too

There are a lot of under-the-radar PM&R programs out there. A bunch of them are brand-new too, as they try to keep up with the growing demand for our specialty. So apply broadly and it should work out for you.

I had your exact stats.... Matched my top choice.

Do well on your PMR rotations, get solid letters of recommendations. Should be ready to rock