Did Not Match. So...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linevasel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those who didn’t match. First, it sucks (straight-up, and it will suck even more in a week or two!). But you are smart and capable. Grieve. Steel Yourselves with hope.. Initiate Plan B, and keep it moving. If you didn’t have a plan b, get one. Its been a while since there was a “did not match, what should I do now ?” –thread. And times have definitely changed… I’m not sure if the number of applicants increased this year, but the quality of applicants continues to improve.

The sample size of people who don’t match is small, but not tiny ( ~30% right ?) But the sample size of people who did not match the first time, but matched the second is most certainly tiny. I am in that category. I received a lot of good (sometimes severe) advice from SDN and others on the interview trail. I hope you have been gleaning good advice along the way. If you don’t have a plan and you are dead set on Ophtho and think it might be useful to get feedback from someone who was recently in your shoes, PM me. If I get enough PMs , and it seems like there is enough interest in the community maybe I’ll just respond to the thread. Even if you don’t choose to use SDN as resource, I wish you an abundance of luck, and all manner of perseverance.
Best

Members don't see this ad.

To everyone who did not match this time around and are still committed to Ophthalmology, I was in your position a mere few months ago. Currently, I am doing one of the two (to my knowledge) pre-residency Ophthalmic Pathology fellowships at the University of Utah Moran Eye Center. We are working on getting together an information packet but until then you can message me for more information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ot
For those who don't match, the SDN consensus seems to be a year of research followed by reapplication with stronger LORs and more pubs.
If the research year starts after graduation (June-ish), that leaves only about 2 months to secure the new letters and publications prior to reapplying in August, no? Is that sufficient time in which to strengthen one's app? What can one do during the remainder of 4th year to boost the app?

Also, in that situation, what happens with intern year/ERAS? Would you withdraw from NRMP for PGY-1 and take your chances by applying to the same prelim programs the very next year?

Another option is to do your intern year and try to do an ophtho elective or two with local programs during your first quarter if your PGY-1 program allows that to build some connections- worked for me...