Did Virginia really need another DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, Virginia already has a DO school and multiple MD schools. Wouldn't it make better sense to build DO schools in states that do not have a DO school, or maybe states with one med school? A good candidate for a DO school would be Arkansas. They Have one medical school there that monopolizes medical education and monopoly can be a very bad thing. I live in a state that use to have one med school for the entire state and that one school capped the number of new entrants at 100. Basically, you had to "know" the right people and be apart of a certain "social circle" to get in. It was about who your parents were and who you knew. Why not build DO schools in Arkansas, Louisiana, Montana, Wyoming aren't these rural areas where we need doctors anyway? Are there anymore DO schools opening in the future besides Liberty?

Members don't see this ad.

To my knowledge, Virginia already has a DO school and multiple MD schools. Wouldn't it make better sense to build DO schools in states that do not have a DO school, or maybe states with one med school? A good candidate for a DO school would be Arkansas. They Have one medical school there that monopolizes medical education and monopoly can be a very bad thing. I live in a state that use to have one med school for the entire state and that one school capped the number of new entrants at 100. Basically, you had to "know" the right people and be apart of a certain "social circle" to get in. It was about who your parents were and who you knew. Why not build DO schools in Arkansas, Louisiana, Montana, Wyoming aren't these rural areas where we need doctors anyway? Are there anymore DO schools opening in the future besides Liberty?

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...eges-of-osteopathic-medicine-and-campuses.pdf

There are plans to add two more MD schools in Virginia in the coming years as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The eastern seaboard and definitely the western part of Virginia are severely underserved. Whether or not it warranted another school is up for debate. Being a resident of Virginia what we really need is a school who will give preference to our residents. UVa, EVMS, and VCU all seem to accept a significant number of out of state students while surrounding state schools aren't very forthcoming with out of state seats.

I.E. when I applied for med school something like 50% of seats at UVa were given to out-of-state students. However, at ETSU, in NE Tennessee, there were only 6 out of 66 seats designated to out-of-state students.

It makes it hard for Virginia to train at home and, as we know, if you train at home you're more likely to return home.

Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho iirc are part of WICHE, so their applicants can apply to other WICHE member med schools (so, schools in WA, OR for sure) with an advantage over other OOS candidates.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my understanding.

Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho iirc are part of WICHE, so their applicants can apply to other WICHE member med schools (so, schools in WA, OR for sure) with an advantage over other OOS candidates.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my understanding.
The only thing wrong is that they are actually considered the same as in-state when they apply to WA and OR schools.

Louisiana already has three medical schools, including one rather close to Arkansas. We're doing quite well, actually.

Or a school in Alaska. That would be nice. I'm dreaming here, but still......

Our "program" through UW is great, but only 20 students. And only MD. PNWU is the only DO school that we have any kind of "advantage", as we're considered part of the Pacific Northwest. Love the state, hate the logistics :)

There's also the WWAMI program in which UW reserves a few seats for students in Alaska, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. They get in-state tuition, too. Some of the students are able to do their MSI year on the campuses of undergraduate schools in their states. Problem is, its only a few seats each year, and its still far from home for those students.

Idaho also has a few seats at Utah, but the same issues persist.

UVa, EVMS, and VCU all seem to accept a significant number of out of state students while surrounding state schools aren't very forthcoming with out of state seats.

I.E. when I applied for med school something like 50% of seats at UVa were given to out-of-state students. However, at ETSU, in NE Tennessee, there were only 6 out of 66 seats designated to out-of-state students.

It makes it hard for Virginia to train at home and, as we know, if you train at home you're more likely to return home.

This has to do with what the state funding. So take it up with your legislature.

Members don't see this ad :)
The eastern seaboard and definitely the western part of Virginia are severely underserved. Whether or not it warranted another school is up for debate. Being a resident of Virginia what we really need is a school who will give preference to our residents. UVa, EVMS, and VCU all seem to accept a significant number of out of state students while surrounding state schools aren't very forthcoming with out of state seats.

I'm surprised there is a severe shortage in western Virginia. It was so pretty when I visited, and a lot like my home in western North Carolina. It is definitely at the top of my list for residency and perhaps practicing someday Unless, there is something awful about living in Virginia that I should know??

WICHE also counts for CO... and I know RVU looks at that when screening applicants. I think Liberty opened because Liberty COULD open...

There's also the WWAMI program in which UW reserves a few seats for students in Alaska, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. They get in-state tuition, too. Some of the students are able to do their MSI year on the campuses of undergraduate schools in their states. Problem is, its only a few seats each year, and its still far from home for those students.

Idaho also has a few seats at Utah, but the same issues persist.

Yeah, that's the "program" I was talking about. AK WWAMI students do their 1st year in Anchorage, 2nd in Seattle, then 3rd and 4th at rotations throughout the WWAMI states. For AK, it's only instate tuition if you return to AK directly after residency and practice for 8+ years. If not, you get to pay back the state for the difference between IS and OOS. But they only take 20 students. We don't necessarily have a huge populous, but a few years ago when they only took 10 students (they doubled it in 2007), it was "ranked" the hardest med school to get into based on applications to acceptances. I'd imagine with the student increase, it's not that anymore, but still.....there's a LOT of us that apply with very few spots. I applied, of course, but with my stats, it's pretty unlikely I'll even interview!

I'm surprised there is a severe shortage in western Virginia. It was so pretty when I visited, and a lot like my home in western North Carolina. It is definitely at the top of my list for residency and perhaps practicing someday Unless, there is something awful about living in Virginia that I should know??

have you seen deliverance?

have you seen deliverance?

haha, yes. I guess that kind of environment is not for everyone. Though, I have never really encountered the typical hillbilly stereotype during all my time in the South. Just a lot of poor, misinformed, religion-mongering folks. . . but damn, do they make some good food!

I'll be shocked if College of Henricopolis and Kings College Medical schools get green lighted from lcme...

Traffic is horrible and the 25mph speed limit doesn't help :laugh:

I am hoping the next DO school to open is Southern Utah University. The DO world could do with another state funded university and southern Utah has a BIG physician shortage. As I see it it's a win win.

I am hoping the next DO school to open is Southern Utah University. The DO world could do with another state funded university and southern Utah has a BIG physician shortage. As I see it it's a win win.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but last I heard the planned DO school in Cedar City is going to be private, and only loosely affiliated with SUU (if at all). Still a great location for a DO school though!

There is nothing interesting about opening another tuition-driven private freestanding (and borderline money-printing) COM. It is just another frustrating let-down. You shouldn't stand for it.

:rolleyes:

Have you ever even been to RVU? I was very impressed by my expereince there. Utah needs another med school instate. If RVU is up to the task good for them. If I was applying during their opening year you can bet I'd apply. Their school is doing impressive things despite what anyone says.