Did you apply to in-state or out-of-state schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leon24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people applied in-state vs. out-of-state? I'm sure some of you applied to both in-state and out-of-state schools; so if you had your choice (assuming you got in to both) what would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to both. I am from NC and I love it here. I have lived here all of my life. I think it would really depend on the school I got into to depend on which one I would choose. I only applied to schools and locations I was interested in. The two schools I am hesitant about would be Nova in FL and WVU in WV. I think I would really enjoy their programs though and wouldn't have a huge issue with the move.

I guess to answer you question, I don't think the location would be a huge factor for me but that's just me!!

Best of luck to you!!

For me: I love Arizona and would prefer to stay here. AZ has 4 in state 3 of which are private and $$$. One is on a long drive so I would have to rent near school. I also applied to 5 out of state MN, NV, CA 2 which are state schools but charge out-of-state Tuition and end up being = to the private schools. I would have to consider cost of living comparisons in CA vs NM or NV. My choices were made because I like warm weather, closer to home state, the program and my scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied everywhere. My state only has one PT program, and they are notorious for not accepting in-state students. Therefore I know I am going to have to travel, so distance wasn't really an issue.

The only in-state school I applied to was the one I could commute to. As far as NJ PT tuition goes, in-state tuition doesn't seem to be necessarily cheaper than some other state's out-of-state tuition or private schools unless you commute. So the rest of the schools I applied to were out-of-state. I would prefer to get into one of those schools (although I'd like to get in somewhere period). I did my undergrad out-of-state, and I think it is always a great experience to change your surroundings.

I applied to one in-state, all the rest out. I really want to see some new places!

I hear you guys. I just applied to in-state schools right now mainly due to cost. My in state tuition will be a little more than half of what it will cost me at an out-of-state school or private school. The problem is the winters here are terrible and I have lived here for quite a while. So I am debating if the extra money is worth it to live and got to school somewhere else (nicer). I think I might just apply to a few out-of-state schools in addition to see what happens because there is no guarantees I will get into either. Anyone else want to chime in?

I'm not ready to apply yet, but I have identified the schools I'd like to apply to. One is in-state. The others are out-of-state. I live in NYC, and I would not like to stay here for PT school, but I'm willing to move upstate, which is why there's the one. I don't want to have such a high cost-of-living while I'm in school, plus I'd rather live somewhere a little smaller, just as a personal preference. Most of the other schools are based on a combination of factors, like cost, what the program is like, etc. I've lived in various parts of the country and adapted pretty well, so location wasn't a big deal for me in my research.

I would definitely consider in-state schools more seriously if they weren't so expensive in my state. However, I have found that my in-state tuition would be very similar to out-of-state tuition in other states. So I'm looking both in-state and out-of-state.

I applied both in-state and out of state, in-state saving me a lot on tuition. I'm out-of-state for my BA degree so now I'd rather be back in-state closer to home, having had the experience of going to school in a new place already, though I'll still be a few hours away.

I hear you guys. I just applied to in-state schools right now mainly due to cost. My in state tuition will be a little more than half of what it will cost me at an out-of-state school or private school. The problem is the winters here are terrible and I have lived here for quite a while. So I am debating if the extra money is worth it to live and got to school somewhere else (nicer). I think I might just apply to a few out-of-state schools in addition to see what happens because there is no guarantees I will get into either. Anyone else want to chime in?

Take this for what it's worth, but if you get into a state school that allows you to owe considerably less, I think that's hands down the best choice. You want sun and sand, move to FL or CA after you graduate.

Take this for what it's worth, but if you get into a state school that allows you to owe considerably less, I think that's hands down the best choice. You want sun and sand, move to FL or CA after you graduate.

That is what I am thinking too, even though it would be nice to study outside year round :). I'm not sure if it is worth another 30-40k though.