Jul 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I was thinking about this during my last study break a few minutes ago. This is probably one of the most random things I could wonder but it still got me going:

Why...why is the very first lesson/lecture for ALL test prep companies always translational motion in physics?

FuSoYa

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Status
Medical Student
It's probably more intuitive than other topics like rotational motion or waves or lens, so it's a good starting off point to also teach test-taking skills, like how to approach problems and using scientific notation. Just my guess.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think it's due to a combination of factors. These are the ones that come to mind right now:

- It's a relatively easy topic for most students which boosts their confidence after a diag.
- Easy to create a complex stand-alone passage/problem. By stand-alone I mean a problem that doesn't touch on the other MCAT topics.
- Good chance to show off math (ex. rounding) and test taking (ex. deciphering passages into simple concepts) techniques.
- Easier to teach than some of the other more memorization based topics.

OPPforlife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Clemson SC
Status
Medical Student
I think about 90% physics classes start with translational motion. This is because it is one of the easiest ways to demonstrate the concept of vectors, which is actually a pretty universal concept (true with most every thing in science) however, can be confusing in the form of say thermodynamics or even rotational kinetics for example.