Did you get over it?

rc01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in high school at the moment, and would love to be a doctor.

I may be being totally naive, but right now the biggest turn off is the idea of surgery. I've seen plenty on TV (and watched a few dissections at school) so I know I can endure just fine, but as somebody considering medicine, should I be 'enduring' at all? I always imagined doctors as not being bothered by gore.

Realistically I'm not wanting to be a surgeon, and my ideal career would be in research. But yeah. Bearing in mind I'm still only 15, is this an issue or something I'll get over?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to do research, become a researcher! : )

I think as long as you can endure the rotations and classes in med school involving "gore" as you put it, you'll be fine. There are just so many options after that for an MD/DO, and plenty that involve very minimal "gore" if any at all. And I'm not even including the non-patient care related avenues, for which there are an enormous number, broadly you would immediately think of things like research, academia, etc.

But hey, even if you went through it all and decided you didn't want to use that MD/DO directly, just having it can open doors to so many other seemingly unrelated career paths.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little confused here. Dude, there are tons of doctors that don't like surgery. They go into psychiatry or radiology or any number of other fields.

If this question is to be taken at face value, then, like Tic, I don't see the problem. There are tons of medical specialties that don't involve surgery. If you're asking if you ever get over spending tons of time doing something you hate, the answer is no, absolutely not. However, you do suck it up and deal with it, because they're not going to omit the OB/Gyn rotation from med school any time soon.

There are lots of specialties that don't do surgery. Some don't really do procedures at all. However, if you are really interested in doing research, more than treating patients, a PhD is probably a better fit. Regardless, you don't have to decide for a good 5 or 6 years, seeing as the path to either goal is pretty similar.

Best of luck, and its great that you are ambitious at your age!:)

Once you get through your rotations, you don't have to worry about surgery ever again.

I'm in high school at the moment, and would love to be a doctor.

I may be being totally naive, but right now the biggest turn off is the idea of surgery. I've seen plenty on TV (and watched a few dissections at school) so I know I can endure just fine, but as somebody considering medicine, should I be 'enduring' at all? I always imagined doctors as not being bothered by gore.

Realistically I'm not wanting to be a surgeon, and my ideal career would be in research. But yeah. Bearing in mind I'm still only 15, is this an issue or something I'll get over?

Get a lot of human dissections at high school? :)

Either way. You're about 8 years away from medical school, so you have plenty of time to explore the possibilities of life. Best of luck.

I asked my dad about this (dentistry, but similar concept)

He said first time you see something itll be a little gross...like some weird lesion on the side of someones mouth....But he said then you chop it off or something....and the next time you see the same kinda thing its less gross, and you chop it off again...then the next time......less gross....until finally its just normal and its not gross at all.

You get the picture

I also have a neighbor who is in med school, he said people still go woozy at the op table, he is 3rd year I believe.

really...
its funny cause my biggest turn ON is surgery i want to be a SURGEON lol.
have you seen live surgery from in the OR it is such a thrill i love it

really...
its funny cause my biggest turn ON is surgery i want to be a SURGEON lol.
have you seen live surgery from in the OR it is such a thrill i love it

I've seen some freaky stuff in the OR and I can honestly say the only time I was ever :eek: was anything involving The Miracle of Life(TM).

I'm not sure if it was being grossed out, fascinated, or freaked out because I'm a nontrad and one day in the not-so-distant-future I might very well pop out a kid. :scared:

I find this strange (no offense or anything like that intended) because i'm doing an internship at a hospital in my city and whenever i'm observing the doctor do surgery in the operation theatre, I get so excited that I feel like just snatching the scalpel from the doctors and do something myself. If I don't become a surgeon, I will truly, be devastated.