Did you get what you wanted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elisabeth Kate

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most of you found out our your match a few days ago, but let's not let this week end in such an anticlimactic way. How did you do?

I got my #3, but I would have been happy with any of my top 3. Phew, came close to being unhappy though!

Members don't see this ad.

Same situation exactly; got my #3, and knew I would be happy with any of the top 3 (but substantially less happy after that). Still a pretty baller program! (Neurology btw)

I got my #4. I feel bleh, but realize it could have been worse and I didn't match

Reactions: 1 users
Got my #2 which I was actually kicking myself for not making #1 after lists were finalized. Things worked out pretty awesome here!

Got my #5 but stoked to be in the speciality of my choice (Emergency Medicine), and I actually like the program! It was just not my first pick for location, but that doesn't matter really in the long run. Plenty of folks don't even get to do the speciality of their dreams, so I count myself very lucky.

Last edited:
Got EXACTLY what I wanted, my #1 spot.... I had two top tier surgical programs including an Ivy League that I ranked second. I couldn't believe the result given how bad I (thought I) screwed up the interview... I kept beating myself over and over for weeks as I rehashed my answers... My "Thank you" notes went unanswered, and my "I'm ranking you first" email was met with silence. I knew for sure it was gone and had made my peace with that. Then boom, Ctrl+F, "allprograms".... and it's my number 1 choice. I'm almost a bit mad at the NRMP for ruining this super amazing surprise with their shoddy programming, but truth is I couldn't be happier.

Got EXACTLY what I wanted, my #1 spot.... I had two top tier programs including an Ivy League that I ranked second. I couldn't believe the result given how bad I (thought I) screwed up the interview... I kept beating myself over and over for weeks as I rehashed my answers... My "Thank you" notes went unanswered, and my "I'm ranking you first" email was met with silence. I knew for sure it was gone and had made my peace with that. Then boom, Ctrl+F, "allprograms".... and it's my number 1 choice. I'm almost a bit mad at the NRMP for ruining this super amazing surprise with their shoddy programming, but truth is I couldn't be happier.

What specialty? It doesn't help match if you don't state that. If you matched derm at #1 is very different than if you matched FM #1 and I think it helps others get perspective. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
What specialty? It doesn't help match if you don't state that. If you matched derm at #1 is very different than if you matched FM #1 and I think it helps others get perspective. Just my 2 cents.
Edited my post: Gen Surg.

internal med categorical. matched to my #3, which was actually one of the last programs i was expecting due to (1) a really weird interview day, and (2) not having the connections that i had to my 1/2 picks, which were just as competitive.

extremely happy regardless.

Got my #1 in pediatrics. I didn't know about the issues with the nrmp website until they were fixed, so it was an amazing surprise today :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Got my #1 also. Unopposed FM in South Carolina. Great program and 10 minutes from my house--won't have to move, which is a blessing since orientation is June 9 and I graduate June 1!!

How does where someone matched help anyone??? It's not like you have their stats or anything.

Actually, I think knowing the program quality is more important than knowing the specialty. Just because someone's going into FM or IM doesn't mean that they didn't have a competitive #1 slot. Not saying FM is as competitive as Derm, but someone matching into a community FM program is worlds different than someone matching into Mass Gen IM.

Yes! Got my #1 also. Unopposed FM in South Carolina. Great program and 10 minutes from my house--won't have to move, which is a blessing since orientation is June 9 and I graduate June 1!!
is it spartanburg regional

#1 Radiology and #1 Transitional year. Super stoked.

Been asking myself that question all day, and honestly will probably keep thinking of it through residency. I feel the quick answer is Yes, but perhaps with some reservations. Sorry, this is going to be a bit of a long post, but it's my first one on here and just wanted to share a bit of my thoughts and experiences of this whole process.

So some context to start off. I am an Allopathic US Med Student with some red flags on my application (rather not get into the nitty gritty of it), so even though I applied to one of less competitive specialties with Categorical IM, I was very concerned I would not match. I applied to a bunch of programs and after weeding through the rejections, I ended up with 10 interviews. There were a couple programs I was not terribly eager to match in to, but with my concern for not matching and that I may not have interviewed at enough places, I ranked all 10.

Today, I find out I got my #4 program (one of the places in Cali). I know most of the country targets California for one reason or another (weather and the beach?), but for me, I've always been eager to come back to the area after moving away many years ago. At the same time, going to Cali means I'm leaving a city that I've been living in for quite a while (before med school) and a placed I've enjoyed being in for the most part.

Beyond location, matching my #4 program hit me with some additional mixed emotions. I definitely feel grateful I matched there and not some of the other programs I ranked lower. I will say my #1 and #2 were practically reach programs (though the place I ranked #1 sent me multiple thank you cards and emails, which made me feel I had at least a puncher's chance of getting in there) so while I would've loved to go to those places, I suppose deep down I knew my chances of getting there weren't too high.
It's my #3 that stings a bit, as when I found out I actually did match, I thought it was with them. It's a hospital affiliated with my school, where I did a lot of 3rd and 4th year rotations at, and would've loved the opportunity to be a resident there. I felt I had solid evals from those rotations in addition to a strong LOR from one of the Attendings there. They wound up taking 5 students from our school, and I guess I felt a bit let down that I didn't make their cut. It kind of makes you wonder what you did wrong, as out of the places I ranked, they were the program that knew me the best, and perhaps weren't that crazy with what they saw. I had the aforementioned red flags, but it makes you think what else may have caused an issue.

All in all, I suppose my experience isn't too different from anyone else who found themselves matching outside their top 3, but still ended up on some place high on their list. Like most people who move for a job, it's mixed feelings of being excited to go someplace new (or back to a place with old memories) and some sadness to leave a place you may still like. I guess its also for the best not to dwell on my #3, and just be happy I got a program in my top 4.

Matched my 2nd choice in med/peds. #1 was a stretch, and #2-4 were all about equal in my mind. Would have been slightly disappointed with #5 or below. Very happy. Congrats to all.

Hi y'all!

I matched to my #3 for OB/GYN. I applied strictly in Texas. I was not expecting matching to my #3 at all. The vibes and comments I got from my #1 don't add up to the final result. I honestly believed my #1 was a program I had a chance to get into. My partner was accepted to a graduate school program in Houston, and I got accepted to a program that's not in Houston. I feel very guilty because it's as if I've let him down, he was so happy he got accepted. It's as if this is a bad dream. I want to wake up from it, but I can't.

I matched to my #5 in pediatrics. In actuality, it was my #2 program, but my wife made me put it lower on the list because of location. So, I am very pleased! She was disappointed at first, but she is now coming around and getting more excited. I really did not think I would fall to the middle of my list though.

I knew my #1 was a reach. I was waitlisted and was very lucky to even get an interview.

#2 was a very solid program with excellent training and great benefits. Location was a little undesirable, but I could have seen myself liking the city. The thing that bums me though is that the program director seemed so sincere about liking me and wanting me as a resident. Perhaps he did like me, but just liked other people better.

I never thought I would fall below #3 or #4. These were quite noncompetitive programs at a smaller university and community program, respectively. I got along very well with the residents and thought my interviews went reasonably well. #3 was in the perfect location (since it was extremely close to home) and would be a perfect fit for me. Oddly enough, another classmate of mine matched to #3 when I felt I was more competitive than this individual and actually had ties to the area. I don't know what really happened there. The match does funny things, so do not take anything for granted.

#5 (my new program!) was my first interview. I thought it was probably my worst interview, but I had soooo much fun that day and during dinner. I loved all the residents I met, and the program has everything I want to help me succeed as a future pediatrician. I have always loved the city where I matched, and it is not too far from my hometown. So, it all worked out for the best, and very very happy to be going to this program!

#1 - anesthesia - top tier program in Northeast.

Their post-interview communication made it not much of a surprise.

Be happy that you matched somewhere. I did not match despite what I thought was a great interview season. Although I did eventually get a position through the SOAP, that week was the lowest week of my life. I do not wish that experience to my worst enemy. I am gracious that I got a spot in my chosen specialty, but the fact that I will never experience the elation of getting that "congratulations, you have matched" email and never being able to experience the surprise and excitement on Friday, is something that will always be on the back of my mind especially this time of year.

Congratulations to everyone who matched and/or found a program.

Reactions: 8 users
Got my #3 for ortho. Very happy. I think you're going to fall further on your rank list for specialties with only 4-6 people per program (versus say IM, EM or anesthesia). My happiness falls after rank #10. I ranked 18 total. Matching in the last three would likely had me thinking it might have been better to just SOAP and love something else.

Last edited:
Be happy that you matched somewhere. I did not match despite what I thought was a great interview season. Although I did eventually get a position through the SOAP, that week was the lowest week of my life. I do not wish that experience to my worst enemy. I am gracious that I got a spot in my chosen specialty, but the fact that I will never experience the elation of getting that "congratulations, you have matched" email and never being able to experience the surprise and excitement on Friday, is something that will always be on the back of my mind especially this time of year.

Congratulations to everyone who matched and/or found a program.

It might be in the back of your mind next year and give you some empathy and insight but not forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matched at my one and only program! Had a rough year but somehow I ended up with my dream job at an amazing program. I am ecstatic!

Got my #1 in Family Med!!! Super Excited!!!

Especially since I couples matched and was out and proud in every interview ... the look on some interviewer's faces when they asked "so what is SHE applying for" and I would just correct them politely and say, "well HE is applying for..."

Reaction faces = *Priceless*

Reactions: 15 users
Matched my no 1. Top 50 IM program, on the east coast. Its funny because I spent HOURS writing thank you notes and stressing over 2-7 out of 13. My no 1 told us 'no correspondence' and I was expecting to match my no 3 because an interviewer there told me that 'with this app you'll match here'. My no 2 and 3 were arguably stronger/more reputable, but in the same tier...they can't compete with my no 1s location and the regional reputation of the program. Feeling very blessed. Hope you all are happy. Its amazing just to have the opportunity to do what we will do, let alone exactly where you want to do it.

Got my #1 in Family Med!!! Super Excited!!!

Especially since I couples matched and was out and proud in every interview ... the look on some interviewer's faces when they asked "so what is SHE applying for" and I would just correct them politely and say, "well HE is applying for..."

Reaction faces = *Priceless*

Congratulations to you both! I love that you had the courage to be out and proud in your interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
Matched at my #1 General Surgery (categorical). Being an IMG I am beyond ecstatic! Congrats to everyone!
My two cents of post-match advise to any other IMG's determined to receive the excellent General Surgery training available in this country: read the NRMP communications very well. The Charting Outcomes in the Match for IMGs is pure gold. Very clearly shows which variables are associated with success. And yes, it is hard, very hard, but if you can manage to get >260 in the Steps, plus earn good LORs from US Surgeons, plus go above and beyond with any research projects you have access to and work very very hard, it IS still possible! Best of luck to all! It's time to celebrate!

Be happy that you matched somewhere. I did not match despite what I thought was a great interview season. Although I did eventually get a position through the SOAP, that week was the lowest week of my life. I do not wish that experience to my worst enemy. I am gracious that I got a spot in my chosen specialty, but the fact that I will never experience the elation of getting that "congratulations, you have matched" email and never being able to experience the surprise and excitement on Friday, is something that will always be on the back of my mind especially this time of year. Congratulations to everyone who matched and/or found a program.

You got a spot through SOAP in the specialty you originally wanted, Radiology in which nearly 81 spots were open. Hardly a life-altering moment although it may have increased your heart rate and blood pressure temporarily. It would have been different if you had to SOAP in a completely different specialty.

Most people will probably erase the ERAS email they got, saying they matched, not keep it as a keepsake.

Got my #1 in integrated vascular. Couldn't be happier!

Here's the actual data from the NRMP (these are for people that actually matched, rounded to whole numbers for ease of reading)...

US Seniors
=========
54% got their #1
16% #2
10% #3
6% #4
13% #5 or greater

Everyone Else (Re-Applicants, IMGs, etc)
================================
50% got their #1
19% #2
12% #3
7% #4
12% #5 or greater

You'll find the data is skewed on SDN as you'd expect fewer people that matched low on their lists to actually admit it in a public forum (though I'm a re-applicant and admitted I matched at my #5), and SDN is not a representative cross-section of the entire match pool.

Last edited:
Here's the actual data from the NRMP (these are for people that actually matched)...

US Seniors
=========
54% got their #1
16% #2
10% #3
6% #4
13% #5 or greater

50% got their #1
19% #2
12% #3
7% #4
12% #5 or greater

You'll find the data is skewed on SDN as you'd expect fewer people that matched low on their lists to actually admit it in a public forum, and SDN is not a representative cross-section of the entire match pool.

Is this data on the NRMP? I'm actually surprised that over 50% of both US MDs and Independent Applicants got their #1.

Here's the actual data from the NRMP (these are for people that actually matched, rounded to whole numbers for ease of reading)...

US Seniors
=========
54% got their #1
16% #2
10% #3
6% #4
13% #5 or greater

50% got their #1
19% #2
12% #3
7% #4
12% #5 or greater

You'll find the data is skewed on SDN as you'd expect fewer people that matched low on their lists to actually admit it in a public forum (though I'm a re-applicant and admitted I matched at my #5), and SDN is not a representative cross-section of the entire match pool.

Thanks, didn't know this had been published yet.

Those numbers don't mean much considering it's for all specialties and all medical schools across the country. A lot of my buds at state schools wanted to stay at their state school for family reasons and ranked them #1.

My anecdotal feeling from my friends and myself is that if you interviewed at 5+ top tier places in a competitive field, you're likely to drop quite a bit on your rank list unless your #1 is your home program or in the same city. But I guess then it's a First World Problem.

I agree. I have some mixed feelings..... I LOVE my program and am very happy about the quality of training I will receive. It was one of my favorite programs. Residents are known to be very happy here. But I'm sad to move so far away from family, into a climate that I am not fond of at all. I'm trying to take things in stride though, as this is definitely a 'first world problem'. In fact, I'm truly grateful to my program as they were a 'reach' program for me (as most of the ones I ranked higher than them were actually less competitive and not as good training, but in my preferred location near family). I will work as hard as I can in my new program to thank them for ranking me high enough to match there. So I am trying to smile as I will be moving across the country soon. Even though I know I'll have to deal with loneliness and home sickness and frigid weather.... I feel like 4 years later when this is all done, I'll be grateful for the opportunity, as this program will make me an excellent physician. It was the best program clinically of all the places that I interviewed at. So I'm very very happy, but heartsick at the same time. My parents are getting old, and I worry about them too.

Last edited:
Matched at my #1. Pretty competitive program for EM.

After not matching last year and having to SOAP into a prelim spot, to matching at my #1 choice this year, I would have to say yes, I did get what I wanted. :)