Did you go to Evergreen in WA state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovelucy

This is Lucy.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Fellow Evergreeners,

When I went to Evergreen I took a year-long program (with no grades of course) that shows up as many different classes (all divided by credits and title but not by quarter).

I would like to how anyone who has successfully entered the transcripts info for Evergreen on the AMCAS website did so. I have no clue which quarter I took each class as it shows up as one long list for a total of 48 credits for the year. Ugh.

Thanks for an advice you might have.

Members don't see this ad.

i think the chances of you finding another person on sdn who can answer this question are a lot worse than the chances you can find someone on campus (premed office, career advising, give it a try - i dont know what your school offers, but someone must know)

so unless someone just happens to spot this post who knows the answer, id be going to ask someone in person

Evergreen is a very well known liberal state school with grads that are highly sought after which has a curiculum (or lack therof) that makes it very difficult to fit into the typical college credit mold that AMCAS demands. Your best bet is to get in contact with someone at UW Medicine who got in from Evergreen (shouldn't be to hard to find I bet) and find out how they listed their classes. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately AMCAS and Evergreen have been no help! There is no communication between schools and AMCAS, and I keep getting general answers. Neither seem to be able to tell me how to enter my transcripts. Ugh.

Hopefully the way I submit it won't be considered a "mistake" by AMCAS.

While it may be not a very consolation, I went to evergreen for a total of one month and am submitting my withdraw from evergreen. I talked to one of the two people at the transcript office there and they said that they had done it before. It will include making a photocopy of each of the evals (if you were there for 45 cred thats what 3 main evals not including assistant profs) and sending that attached to a letter to amcas. I beleive from their AMCAS sends the pack to the med schools themselves. The MEd schools should see the GPA issue as well as the pack of evals. A school Like UW, only 70 miles from olympia should recognize the caliber of the school and how they work and not be scared to investigate more. Other schools that don't know or don't care to know may just move on; unfortunately the evals can be both a blessing and a curse when trying to re-enter the formulaic number game of AMCAS

One, it's really not a big deal if you don't enter the info perfectly. AMCAS gets your transcripts and makes all the changes necessary to make it look the way they want. So don't let trying to do this just right delay your application.

Two, the above posters are right that UW might be able to tell you something because I'm sure UW has students from Evergreen.

Three, you might want to change your title to something like "did you go to a school that didn't have grades?" just to get more participants. I know other people here have had that issue, but they might not be opening the thread because they didn't go to Evergreen.

Good luck!

I concur with the above response, Brown college is another well-known school without grades. and you could get more info.

I'm a greener in DO school right now. I only applied to DO schools, so I can't give you any advice about filling out AMCAS (although I imagine it's similar to the osteopathic AACOMAS).

The person you want to talk to at school is Wendy Freeman - don't waste your time with any of the other advisers. Wendy was extremely helpful in my app process, wrote me a LOR, and even collated all my LORs to send to schools.

She also has the inside track on dealing with Evergreen's narrative evaluations and med school. I just filled in aacomas as best I could, noting all the grades as "other" or whatever choice they gave me. I did all my undergrad at Evergreen, so I had no GPA at all, LOL. I did have a pretty good (30R) MCAT which probably helped.

A couple schools who Wendy had warned me would give me problems, did in fact give me problems. Touro wanted me to pay $250 to get my transcript evaluated by an international education company and converted into grades.
Pass!

Well, if you have any questions, feel free to pm. Best of luck!

Hi Fellow Evergreeners,

When I went to Evergreen I took a year-long program (with no grades of course) that shows up as many different classes (all divided by credits and title but not by quarter).

I would like to how anyone who has successfully entered the transcripts info for Evergreen on the AMCAS website did so. I have no clue which quarter I took each class as it shows up as one long list for a total of 48 credits for the year. Ugh.

Thanks for an advice you might have.
I didn't go to Evergreen, but I attended another small liberal arts school like that with no grades, credit hours, or normal semesters. The courses I took were just kind of randomly listed on my transcript in nothing like the order that I actually did the work. So what I did was to just arbitrarily assign various courses to my first, second, third, and fourth years. I tried to follow the schedule of when I actually took the courses as much as possible, but sometimes I couldn't. The school combined one class I took as a freshman with another I took as a junior on my transcript and called it a single one-year class, for example. In that case, I just entered the whole thing as a freshman course for AMCAS purposes. You couldn't tell otherwise from my transcript, and AMCAS didn't give me any hassle about it.

I would advise you to get a copy of your Evergreen transcript. Look at how the school lists your coursework, and just follow along as much as you can when you fill out AMCAS. Don't stress too much about AMCAS verifying you. They're really just checking that your AMCAS course list matches what's on your transcript; they can't verify that you really took a class during second quarter but you have it listed for first quarter since Evergreen doesn't list the courses by quarter. So if you really have no idea when you took what, well, you have four quarters and 48 hours. Just arbitrarily assign 12 hours per quarter in the order they're listed on your transcript and send the d*** thing off. :luck: to you. :)

A couple schools who Wendy had warned me would give me problems, did in fact give me problems. Touro wanted me to pay $250 to get my transcript evaluated by an international education company and converted into grades.
Pass!
I had problems with some schools too, but no one ever asked me to do anything like that. I don't blame you for passing. Some schools wanted a copy of my transcript before they'd send a secondary, stuff like that. This was in spite of my having a PhD with grades and a ridiculous MCAT score.

OP, make sure you apply broadly if you're not sure you're going to stay in Washington. Some schools are definitely friendlier to unusual transcripts like this than others are, so you should factor that in and probably add a few extra schools to your list even if your MCAT is stellar.