Did you send a thank-you note/email after interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you send a thank-you note/email after interview?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DoWork91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please vote if you've interviewed for dental school

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is necessary. They usually fill out their report as you interview or right after, and by the time you get home and compose a thank-you they've already been turned in.

Nobody sends letters anymore in 2013. I don't even have envelopes or stamps!

A thank you email within 36hrs after the interview as common courtesy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did for my first interview...and then I forgot with all my other ones. Although it is a good formality, if it's already been a week there's really no point in sending one since they probably won't remember you anyways. I would say the day you get home you should send it so that it gets there 2-3 days from your interview date. But hunterx2 explained, they already submitted your review papers by the time the letter gets to them. It won't change their mind if you're not deemed ready for their school.

I did for my first one. The others, I did not. I figure they get floods of emails in their email inbox that either it would get lost within the hoards, they won't remember who you are, or it might even bother them.

I sent handwritten thank you notes as soon after the interview as possible. The interviewers will have already written their reports on you so it won't sway them either way but I think it's a nice touch....Definitely can't hurt!

ah forget it...just send the thank you note to the interview + administrative staff. I guess it's like how you write a nice note to someone who lets you stay at their house for a night and eat their food, use their toilet, use their shower, and sleep in their bed.

Last edited:
I send a thank you email to my interviewers, from the others I have interviewed with this seemed to be the consensus as well. I personally just find it to be common courtesy.

At most of my interviews there's been one or two individuals who played 'host' and that's who I've directed my thank you card toward, not because I thought it would affect my chances, but because it's a polite thing to do and took about 2 minutes.

At most of my interviews there's been one or two individuals who played 'host' and that's who I've directed my thank you card toward, not because I thought it would affect my chances, but because it's a polite thing to do and took about 2 minutes.

This exactly. They spent their time and effort to accommodate you, it's a simple courtesy to acknowledge that and send them a genuine thank you if you're so inclined.

I brought thank you cards with me and left them with the secretary right after the interview

I sent a thank you as well. If it's any insight, I've got a friend who is a D4 at one of the schools I have/will interview at and she works with the admission committee, and she said, for their school at least, a thank you note goes in your file and has some weight in the deliberation process.

I haven't asked her too much about it, but I would assume it's not as big of a deal if you are a "hard yes", but more so if they have you on the fence on whether to accept you or not.

I guess it's like how you write a nice note to someone who lets you stay at their house for a night and eat their food, use their toilet, use their shower, and sleep in their bed.

But you paid $90 + supp , no?

Seriously, I would highly suggest that people NOT do this. It just adds to the unnecessary stress and gamesmanship of this whole process, but really does not give you an advantage in return. No thank you letters !

Its not always about trying to get an edge over someone or get one last chance to prove yourself. It's a common courtesy to thank someone by taking the time to handwrite a quick note, regardless if the interviewer has turned in their report on you or not. These interviewers took time out of their day, and I'm sure they all have a ton of other stuff to get done, to get to know you. It's respectful to acknowledge that.

Reactions: 1 users
Its not always about trying to get an edge over someone or get one last chance to prove yourself. It's a common courtesy to thank someone by taking the time to handwrite a quick note, regardless if the interviewer has turned in their report on you or not. These interviewers took time out of their day, and I'm sure they all have a ton of other stuff to get done, to get to know you. It's respectful to acknowledge that.

+1
'Thank you' card is to express how thankful you are. Not to have better chance of gettin in.

Reactions: 1 users
I sent handwritten thank-you cards to each interviewer or the admission office if I forgot the interviewer's names. I just think it is a nice thing to do even if it is old-fashioned and it won't matter as far as the admissions decision goes. The one school that sent me a hand-written thank-you note for coming to the interview is my first choice now!

Reactions: 1 user
I sent a handwritten thank you card to each person who interviewed me, but nothing really long. I sent them snail mail the next day, so I know it won't affect my chances, but I think it's the polite thing to do. If I were volunteering a bunch of time and energy to be on an adcomm, I think I would appreciate a sort thank you card or email.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just happy to see that most people generally agree on sending some type of thank you. Whether you send an e-mail or a card doesn't really matter imo, it's the sort of thing where it's the 'thought that counts.'

Edited- Wow, I said what I did based on reading the comments of this thread. After voting in the poll and seeing the results- it seems the majority is saying don't send anything. Please don't be silly and let other people's competitive and ill nature affect what you're going to do.