Did you take a year off before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFMed

Life Coach
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd ask those who have already taken a year off for advice/wisdom. What are some of the things you're glad you did or wish you did during your year off?
I'm in the middle of my year off- I currently have 260 days or so until med school starts. I've been able to land an easy job with family where I am able to read many great novels and books I've been dying to get into since undergrad. But, I'm really trying to save money and spend time with my family- so I don't know if excursions around the world will be feasible. I figured I'd take it easy before med school starts. Yet, I am very worried that I am going to be out of the loop and lose my focus.

• Did you find it difficult to start school again after a year off?
  • Did you feel you were at a disadvantage or an advantage?
  • Any recommendations during this year off?
  • And honestly, should I be studying?

I know you guys are really busy, but any words of wisdom will help me live my remaining time off and ease my worries. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Its probably not that difficult to start school again after a year off. After i graduated I did an accelerated Masters and I found that it was a little tougher to keep the ball rolling since I was a little burnt out since I just finished a Masters thesis and then had a week before starting med school. As long as you are content with the duration of your year off and enjoyed it and look forward to academics again, you probably wont have a hard time starting again. Just remember to hit the ground running. Honestly if I had a year off, I would NOT be studying, there is nothing you can do before med school to prepare for med school. You'll learn it all there. A huge majority of students do not study before the year starts and they'll do just fine. As for what to do in that year off, I would seriously consider taking a few weeks (2-3) to travel! Really, itll be difficult to find any time for that once you start (definitely feasible but why not when you have no burden on your mind). I would have loved to go through Europe. Do something worthwhile and fun. Travel around, eat some good foods. While I recommend spending a lot of time with your folks too, you will always have time on breaks to go home for the holidays (when you should be spending time with family) but you won't have much time to travel abroad. Have fun!

I know you guys are really busy, but any words of wisdom will help me live my remaining time off and ease my worries. Thanks!

This is going to end up pushed back to Pre-allo. The stance of SDN is that Allo isn't here so premeds can ask med students questions and mods always move them back. You're better served just posting it in pre-allo and saying "Question for med students" or something similar." Just so you know for future posts.

Anyway, I took a year of before med school and after undergrad.

1) No it wasn't hard to restart - it was actually easy because I had a year of working in an office and sort of refreshed my desire to learn and be in school. I was really burnt out by the end of my senior year of college. Also, the drama of an office environment and the grind of a desk job reminded me how bad I wanted to be a doctor - for me it was a huge motivator. And I find med school easier and less tedious than the 8-5 jobs.

2) I don't feel much different than my fellow students. I guess in applying I was at an advantage because I didn't have teachers and tests to schedule around. Writing secondary essays and sending out apps was easy because I could sometimes do it at work if I was doing something pretty brainless (like covering the front desk). Scheduling interviews was a cinch because my boss was so flexible - I turned several of them into mini-vacations which was really nice and relaxing. And I was making money so the cost of applying was less of a stress.

As far as academic preparation - I don't think taking a year off hurt me. Again - if anything else my batteries are more recharged than many of my fellow classmates.

3) Do whatever makes you happy. I did several things: worked full time in an office, did a quartertime americorps position at a free clinic, and tutored for Princeton Review. I worked on some medical spanish, and learned to pole dance. I also watched a lot of cable TV and slept during my weekends - it was awesome.

4) I don't see studying helping. If you really want to do something useful - get some medical spanish books and learn spanish. That will be useful. Studying anatomy now isn't going to help.

Members don't see this ad :)

1.) No
2.) Neither, definitely did not feel disadvantaged
3.) Do whatever you want or something you have always wanted to do (My highlight was living in Africa for 3 months)
4.) No, unless it is a no pressure type of studying, like learning Spanish with friends or something like that

1) No it wasn't hard to restart - it was actually easy because I had a year of working in an office and sort of refreshed my desire to learn and be in school. I was really burnt out by the end of my senior year of college. Also, the drama of an office environment and the grind of a desk job reminded me how bad I wanted to be a doctor - for me it was a huge motivator. And I find med school easier and less tedious than the 8-5 jobs.

I agree with this, while I enjoyed being off for a year, it reminded me how important my life goals were and what a priviledge it really is to be a med student (although we can't see it while studying 12 hours a day!)

Hey, I took a year off to do graduate school in creative writing. So, while I was very busy with classes and writing (of course!) and teaching an undergrad class it was all a very different kind of busy than studying science.

... i didn't even look at science the entire time I was there. So now I'm knee deep in medical school and it's not a problem at all. All the ways you knew to study science comes back, all the stamina for studying. It just does. So don't worry about it now, and don't feel the need to study. Enjoy your year , spend time with your family. Read those novels! Trust me, you won't get to read them during med school ;) :D

This is a pre-med issue and thus this thread is moved to Pre-Allo. Allopathic medical students read and reply to threads in Pre-Allo and may follow and reply to this one if desired.

Its probably not that difficult to start school again after a year off. After i graduated I did an accelerated Masters and I found that it was a little tougher to keep the ball rolling since I was a little burnt out since I just finished a Masters thesis and then had a week before starting med school. As long as you are content with the duration of your year off and enjoyed it and look forward to academics again, you probably wont have a hard time starting again. Just remember to hit the ground running. Honestly if I had a year off, I would NOT be studying, there is nothing you can do before med school to prepare for med school. You'll learn it all there. A huge majority of students do not study before the year starts and they'll do just fine. As for what to do in that year off, I would seriously consider taking a few weeks (2-3) to travel! Really, itll be difficult to find any time for that once you start (definitely feasible but why not when you have no burden on your mind). I would have loved to go through Europe. Do something worthwhile and fun. Travel around, eat some good foods. While I recommend spending a lot of time with your folks too, you will always have time on breaks to go home for the holidays (when you should be spending time with family) but you won't have much time to travel abroad. Have fun!

This is going to end up pushed back to Pre-allo. The stance of SDN is that Allo isn't here so premeds can ask med students questions and mods always move them back. You're better served just posting it in pre-allo and saying "Question for med students" or something similar." Just so you know for future posts.

Anyway, I took a year of before med school and after undergrad.

2) I don't feel much different than my fellow students. I guess in applying I was at an advantage because I didn't have teachers and tests to schedule around. Writing secondary essays and sending out apps was easy because I could sometimes do it at work if I was doing something pretty brainless (like covering the front desk). Scheduling interviews was a cinch because my boss was so flexible - I turned several of them into mini-vacations which was really nice and relaxing. And I was making money so the cost of applying was less of a stress.

As far as academic preparation - I don't think taking a year off hurt me. Again - if anything else my batteries are more recharged than many of my fellow classmates.

3) Do whatever makes you happy. I did several things: worked full time in an office, did a quartertime americorps position at a free clinic, and tutored for Princeton Review. I worked on some medical spanish, and learned to pole dance. I also watched a lot of cable TV and slept during my weekends - it was awesome.

4) I don't see studying helping. If you really want to do something useful - get some medical spanish books and learn spanish. That will be useful. Studying anatomy now isn't going to help.

1.) No
2.) Neither, definitely did not feel disadvantaged
3.) Do whatever you want or something you have always wanted to do (My highlight was living in Africa for 3 months)
4.) No, unless it is a no pressure type of studying, like learning Spanish with friends or something like that

I agree with this, while I enjoyed being off for a year, it reminded me how important my life goals were and what a priviledge it really is to be a med student (although we can't see it while studying 12 hours a day!)

Hey, I took a year off to do graduate school in creative writing. So, while I was very busy with classes and writing (of course!) and teaching an undergrad class it was all a very different kind of busy than studying science.

... i didn't even look at science the entire time I was there. So now I'm knee deep in medical school and it's not a problem at all. All the ways you knew to study science comes back, all the stamina for studying. It just does. So don't worry about it now, and don't feel the need to study. Enjoy your year , spend time with your family. Read those novels! Trust me, you won't get to read them during med school ;) :D

I just want to say THANKS!!! for sharing your wisdom. I've been really worried that I wouldn't be able to re-start my engines, but you guys have made me feel alot better about the whole thing. So far it has been really nice to take a break from school, but at the same time, I am dying to start up again. I can't wait to begin studying medicine!
I'm just going to continue doing the things I know I won't be able to once the beast starts. Thanks again for your input! :biglove:

Lol. Awesome! Learning how to earn some extra cash for med school? ;)

Lol. Awesome! Learning how to earn some extra cash for med school? ;)
Haha. Naw. I wouldn't mind the dancing but most strippers are required to give lapdances to strange men ;)

I just did it for fun. Its actually an awesome work-out. Really uses the core of your body. Plus its way more fun than running.

I am currently in my year off and it is possibly the best decision I have ever made. I am working full time as a carpenter (Pays better and is more fun than being a biologist). At the beginning I was also concered about being able to get back into the swing of things but every single person I have asked about it said its not bad and it actually helped them. My only concern is that all this drinking is going to kill too many brain cells (It dosen't stop me though I am throwing one back as I type this). I have also been able to do alot of stuff I wouldn't have been able to if I was in med school. I have been to about 8 concerts, 4 football games, travelled all over Australia for 6 weeks, gone to WV to go kayaking, taken two exteneded weekend hunting trips, been to more parties than I was ever able to during undergrad and got blackout drunk numerous times on a weeknight. Also, I have a snowboarding trip to colorado planned out for the end of the year. Wow thats alot maybe I should slow down? Nah... now back to my beer. (Sweetwater 420 if your wondering)

I'm going to have to read this later, I'm considering taking a year off.

I am currently in my year off and it is possibly the best decision I have ever made. I am working full time as a carpenter (Pays better and is more fun than being a biologist). At the beginning I was also concered about being able to get back into the swing of things but every single person I have asked about it said its not bad and it actually helped them. My only concern is that all this drinking is going to kill too many brain cells (It dosen't stop me though I am throwing one back as I type this). I have also been able to do alot of stuff I wouldn't have been able to if I was in med school. I have been to about 8 concerts, 4 football games, travelled all over Australia for 6 weeks, gone to WV to go kayaking, taken two exteneded weekend hunting trips, been to more parties than I was ever able to during undergrad and got blackout drunk numerous times on a weeknight. Also, I have a snowboarding trip to colorado planned out for the end of the year. Wow thats alot maybe I should slow down? Nah... now back to my beer. (Sweetwater 420 if your wondering)
Okay, you've convinced me. :laugh:

Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA > *.beers

Okay, you've convinced me. :laugh:

Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA > *.beers

Also don't forget the extra time that you can now devote to chasing tail as opposed to studing. Nailing a chick far outweighs nailing a test. I've never had that Dogfish head I'll have to try it out I am not sure if we get it down but I'll look for it and if it sucks I'm coming after you for a refund.

i graduated from college this May and am taking a year off while applying to med schools, so that disqualifies me since im not guaranteed to be a med student next year, but i can explain my activities during my current year off

currently im working in the software quality assurance department for a cellphone manufacturing company. As a QA engineer, I work anywhere from 50 to 65 hours a week, so i dont get too much free time off work. However, I enjoy the work, and waking up everyday and driving to work is not something I dread about.. After three months of working, I kinda can't wait til the morning when I'll be checking my emails in the office for test results / etc

Also, coming from semi-rural neighborhood, I really like living near big cities. Great diversity of people, big malls, finally some good restaurants, meeting a lot of cool people, etc.. I try to enjoy my little free time doing what I want to do.

Plus, I'm earning money to pay back my undergraduate loans / pay for my own rent, food, and other expenses.

I graduated from college in Sept.(summer graduation) and am taking this year off to apply. I've gotten into three schools so I guess this does qualify as my year off. I am working for an americorp sponsored program called Student Conservation Association. I love it and im having so much fun! I highly recommend taking a year off.:love:

Having the year off is great. I traveled for a long period of time and now I'm working part time as a studio photographer, doing some fun volunteering on the side, and taking up those interests I won't have time for in med school: watching movies, cable TV, video games etc etc.

The other really great thing is that being "away from it" (the academic environment) has made me realize how much I enjoy and miss it. I'm feeling refreshed and incredibly excited to start med school (versus apprehensive about the stress and volume of work had I started in Sept 07).

Having the year off is great. I traveled for a long period of time and now I'm working part time as a studio photographer, doing some fun volunteering on the side, and taking up those interests I won't have time for in med school: watching movies, cable TV, video games etc etc.

The other really great thing is that being "away from it" (the academic environment) has made me realize how much I enjoy and miss it. I'm feeling refreshed and incredibly excited to start med school (versus apprehensive about the stress and volume of work had I started in Sept 07).

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I had applied last year in the 2007 cycle and after I was accepted I decided to defer my matriculation for the following year. I figured it would be nice to take a little break from 4 years of undergrad work- but now that I have a brainless, laid back job I am learning how much I miss the stress and the excitement. I miss having that challenging academic environment. It's very reassuring to learn I actually want that "life of learning" you always hear ADCOMs talking about.
So far my year off is great, and I don't regret it because I'm also learning a lot about "pulling my own weight," reading great books, basketball, spending time with family & friends, as well as saving a wad of dough for med school. I'm also learning how a business is managed- which I have to say has made me very skeptical of ever running my own practice (what hassles!)

My main question was if current medical students feel we should be studying before school starts. I mean, it is a year off. The consensus seems to be that we shouldn't be doing anything preparatory since med school is so hopelessly overwhelming. So I'm just going with the flow at this point.

259 days and counting! :hardy:

i'll throw in my 2 cents. I graduated in three years from undergrad, and decided to take some grad classes while i applied for medical school. i made the decision that if i got in somewhere before spring semester, i would take it off. well, i got in, and let me say how much i am looking forward to my time off!!! i am planning on waiting tables, having fun, traveling to europe and just relaxing!!!! after so much school, i am soooo excited to be able to get out of the classroom and just enjoy myself before heading off to medical school this fall! i wouldn't have done it any other way!

i'll throw in my 2 cents. I graduated in three years from undergrad, and decided to take some grad classes while i applied for medical school. i made the decision that if i got in somewhere before spring semester, i would take it off. well, i got in, and let me say how much i am looking forward to my time off!!! i am planning on waiting tables, having fun, traveling to europe and just relaxing!!!! after so much school, i am soooo excited to be able to get out of the classroom and just enjoy myself before heading off to medical school this fall! i wouldn't have done it any other way!

I would love to go to europe! i need to look into this