Did you work during undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basedgod2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm transferring to a university from a community college this year and am debating whether or not taking on a job is a good idea. I did 25 hours of work a week and went to school full time last year, but it was pretty manageable since the classes I took weren't so difficult. However, this year I'm taking more "heavy" classes (organic chem, physics, etc). I was planning on working 12 hours a week but still want to be able to make time for volunteering and getting started on research. But when I think about it more, it sounds like it'll be almost impossible while keeping a good GPA.

Did any of you work along with doing research and volunteering during your undergrad/pre-med studies? Were you able to keep your GPA up? How did you manage?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I work 10-20 hours a week in a lab, volunteer 6 hours a week at a hospital, and have time for classes, a 10 hour a week workout regiment, and a girlfriend. Time management and not wasting any time is key. Also not sleeping in till 11 when you have nothing to do is key, as those 3 hours you spent sleeping you could have spent doing something else. You need to have a certain amount of grit and you have to remain on track, otherwise you'll be playing catch-up all semester.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with above. I also worked around 15 hours a week during undergrad along with school, other extracurriculars, and my own personal enjoyment. If you plan in advance, get started on assignments as soon as they are available, don't waste time (aimless iPhone games), and wake up at a proper time, there is enough time to do well in everything as well as have a social life.

Since you're transferring, you may want to law low on the work at first until you've adjusted and figured out what time you need for school since that always comes first.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my peak, I was working three jobs for about 25 hours per week (I paid my own expenses). I was also highly involved on campus but I was able to maintain a ~3.8 GPA. So, the moral of the story is that it is possible. However, I added jobs and activities a little at a time so that I acclimated to the increased responsibilities and didn't let myself drown in work.

A word of warning, though: this was during my senior year and there were extended periods of time where I would only sleep for ~4 hours per night and in retrospect it definitely began to affect my personality and behavior to a surprising extent. You have to be very realistic about what you can handle.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on the person and the situation. If you're worried about it, then cut back on the work at first (10 hrs/wk is usually a pretty solid number) and adjust as needed.

As for myself, I worked 20-25 hrs/wk my freshman year. My grades weren't what I wanted, so I cut it to 10 hrs/wk. At that point I was starting in a lab and taking ochem and physics, so for an entire semester I didn't work at all. That allowed me to really hone in on my study skills, get established in lab, and explore some other extra curriculars. It nearly wiped out my savings, but it was worth it. This past semester I worked 10 hrs, was in lab 15+ hrs, was heavily involved in a few clubs, and earned a 4.0. Morale of the story: your needs may change, and the best thing you can do is be aware of them and adjust your schedule as needed.

I worked ~20 hrs/wk on top of all my other responsibilities during UG (school, clubs/groups, research, etc). My job was chill though and I just worked night shifts which allowed me to fit everything.

Last edited:
First 3 years of UG I worked full time. It was absolute hell (I was also taking ~20 hours a semester, plus trying to not neglect my wife and son).

I worked while going to school as did many others, so it is definitely possible. I think your idea of cutting back the hours is a good idea, though. Since you are aware that the classes will be harder, it is probably a good idea to work fewer hours until you know how much time you need for studying.

I did not; between classes, athletics, and research I felt I didn't have the time. Looking back, however, I definitely could have squeezed a job into there.

Yes; first year 40 hours, this year 32 hours/week. With about 12-15 credit hours every semester

Couple volunteer obligations every week as well (6 hrs/week total).

As I've said before, I always think I can't take on anything else, until I do and the world doesn't fall apart. We tend to underestimate our productive capabilities. Im planning on ramping it up with some more volunteering and clinical exposure.

Last edited:
This probably depends more on the university you are going to and the difficulty and rigor of the specific classes you take than your time-management or willingness to work hard. Do you know anyone at the school you are going to? They will probably be able to tell you if its doable or not.

Worked during my sophomore year and will be working during my upcoming senior year. During my freshman and junior years, I was more involved in volunteer work and/or research.

That being said, I was always at full-time status, so time management was key. I usually went to bed around 10-11pm and woke up at 6am so I could get to Think Coffee at 7am (yeah, I study best in coffee shops). Worked until class and didn't waste any time in between classes while making sure to eat and sleep. This year I'm going to start running again, so things will be interesting. :D

Like many posters have emphasized already, have a set schedule and know your limits. If you feel overwhelmed, do what you need to do (lessen work hours, drop a class, etc.). Remember, that GPA is important.

This probably depends more on the university you are going to and the difficulty and rigor of the specific classes you take than your time-management or willingness to work hard. Do you know anyone at the school you are going to? They will probably be able to tell you if its doable or not.

The students that go there say the course load is tough and that teachers expect a lot. Some work and some don't, so I'm really not quite sure.

The students that go there say the course load is tough and that teachers expect a lot. Some work and some don't, so I'm really not quite sure.

I wouldn't work if I were you honestly, the risk just isn't worth it. While you can maintain a good GPA while working it will be more difficult to do so. The cost of having a poor GPA will far exceed anything you will earn with a part-time job and if you work and it hurts your GPA you will regret it. Just swallow the debt and do whatever it takes to get a great GPA. Stay based.

Unless you HAVE to, invest in yourself and not work. Go volunteer for disadvantaged people, do research, work at a hospital, be a TA, take basketweaving classes, and have social life. I think college is about investing in your future. In the long run, the investment can be way better return than the money you get by working right now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Working during undergrad is totally doable, but how well you can do while managing that depends on many different factors. If you don't think that you personally can manage it while making the GPA you want, don't do it.

I have a job I really enjoy but on top of my other obligations it made last semester rough once I was in more difficult classes. This coming semester looks like it will be hard so I'm saving up over the summer and I'm going to drop down to PRN so I don't have to work or stress about getting a weekend off if I need extra study time.

If all you are getting from the job is spending money (nothing that's boosting an app) and you don't financially need it don't sacrifice your grades, I'd just drop it. If it offers other benefits or you actually need the money you will have to make compromises, you just have to determine what you are and are not willing to sacrifice. Personally I was ok with loosing 0.09 from my GPA in exchange for a few hundred hours of clinical experience and several thousand dollars.