Coursework & Fieldwork Didn't get a level II with the rest of my cohort :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMStudiezOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short I tore my ACL and had surgery mid May. I requested that I start my first level II placement mid June instead of the beginning to allow myself some extra time to heal. My FW coordinator made me go through disability services, which forced me to get a surgeon's note. The note stated that I couldn't lift greater than 10 lbs for the next 1-2 months. She thought she could place me in a SNF, well of course they said no. My coordinator didn't do much to find me a new placement, so I spent the majority of June and early July calling places frantically. Oh...also....she waited until May to get our placements going, so she just tried to say she thought the SNF would take me. She was aware of the injury and surgery date well before, yet I wasn't informed I had to provide her with documentation, restrictions, letters, etc until I emailed her asking why I haven't received my placement information yet (approximately May 20 something).

Welp...I never got a placement. Is there some type of liability or anything that obligates the school to find me a placement though I had an injury? I haven't been working, thousands in medical bills coming in, and my coordinator really didn't do much of anything to help me. I lost a lot of potential income because she swore I'd be fine, but now I have to wait until the first week of September for my first level II, while the rest of my cohort will be starting their second. I am so far behind and will now be even further behind for sitting for NBCOT. Has anyone experienced something similar? Or is this just a ****ty scenario that I have to deal with and cut my losses :/

Members don't see this ad.

she waited until may 2018 to get your placements going for june 2018?? wow.

also, i don't think there's anything you can really do. and i'm not sure you want to start something with the school when you're so close to finishing. sorry.

she waited until may 2018 to get your placements going for june 2018?? wow.

also, i don't think there's anything you can really do. and i'm not sure you want to start something with the school when you're so close to finishing. sorry.

yea....the rest of my cohort doesn't even have their second level II placements. I know that nothing can be done now, but wasn't forcing me to go through my school's Disability services and giving the information to the facility against ADA. I looked on AOTA and it stated that I have no obligation to disclose a disability to the facility. Its not even permanent, I just wanted an additional 2 weeks to rest up since I was going to be placed in a SNF.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea....the rest of my cohort doesn't even have their second level II placements. I know that nothing can be done now, but wasn't forcing me to go through my school's Disability services and giving the information to the facility against ADA. I looked on AOTA and it stated that I have no obligation to disclose a disability to the facility. Its not even permanent, I just wanted an additional 2 weeks to rest up since I was going to be placed in a SNF.

it's crazy she waited so long to do placements- idk how she got away with that! here, most have theirs a year out. i think it is weird you had to go through disability when it was an injury... idk how that works tho. i mean i understand them wanting to know if you're injured but all you had to go thru seems excessive. guess, they need to have all their bases covered in case something happens? i know, here, they're always telling us not to get pregnant because that would mess things up haha. so i guess that gets disclosed?

Did you sign a technical standards or essentials functions agreement when you were accepted or enrolled? I know both schools I was accepted to had these forms. If so, it lists out what you need to physically be capable of doing in order to assess patients.

If you did, then the school is probably not liable for the set back.

Reactions: 1 user
You will have to wait it out until further notice. As far as I know, it is against the rules to call and set up your own level II fieldwork placement. The school is not liable since it's a requirement for you to fill out those essential function forms.

Reactions: 1 user