Didnt get A's in retakes... am I doomed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ODorDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I retook two upper div science classes that I originally got C's in last semester. My grades for this semester just came out... got B's in both of them :bang: Do I still have a chance at any school? I called up a local D.O. school and asked abt this situation, but they didnt directly answer my question... instead they said: "we would love to see improvements, not perfection."

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

I had to retake a few courses to get rid of C- grades and such and I got B+ and better in them and never had an issue. I did worry about it a bit at the time, but once I had interviews no one ever asked about why I didn't get straight A's on retakes. As long as you have a good trend and are competitive in other areas I wouldn't lose any sleep over some B's on retakes.

Okay, I have a question. If we all said you are doomed, would you give up? If that's the case then I don't know how you will survive med school/residency/being an attending. I'm not saying that to be mean, just as a wake up call that none of this is easy.

None of us (unless we are on admin boards) can really tell how much this could hurt you, or if it will . At this point you can't do anything but continue on with your plans of applying or quit. Have you already taken the MCAT? Did you do well? What about the rest of your application? My point is that a lot goes into this process so change what you can and don't worry about the rest. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I retook two upper div science classes that I originally got C's in last semester. My grades for this semester just came out... got B's in both of them :bang: Do I still have a chance at any school? I called up a local D.O. school and asked abt this situation, but they didnt directly answer my question... instead they said: "we would love to see improvements, not perfection."

What do you all think?

1. You should only retake C- because they are not passing in the eyes of AACOMAS for pre-reqs.

2. You should have gotten As, for multiple reasons: a. you essentially did very little to change your GPA here. Going from a 2.0 *2 compared to 3.0 *2 in the big scheme of things really isn't much. b. The point of a retake is to show that what happened was a fluke and you can handle the material. Here, you just showed that you did kinda better because you already took the course once, etc. Technically 4.0 * 2 isn't even going to change your GPA that much, it's the fact that you aced it the second time that 'matters.'

3. With that said, no, you are not doomed, at all. Your grade was alright the first time ... not great, but alright. It's even better the second time which shows improvement. The only time your screwed is when you retake and do the same or worse in a retake ... you didn't do this, so you're okay. Chances are this will never come up, and it won't be an issue. I only retook 2 courses (had some spare time, foolish mistakes from freshman year and neither grade was that bad) and got an A in one and a B+ in the other. I was pissed about the B+ and even asked on SDN, but in the end, it never came up once.

What do you all think?

What's important is your overall gpa and science gpa when you apply. What's good is that you replaced two C's with two B's. But if that only boosted your science gpa to the 3.16 that it says in your mdapps, then it's time to find any other low grades you might have and retake those classes. Your MCAT will also play a big part in your "chances."