Didn't get Howard Hughes HHMI grant :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found out last night I didn't get the grant...190 apps, 70 accepted :(. Congrats to those who got it but i would love some feedback since im not sure what went wrong- had excellnt ugrad grades, top 20 med, highly reputed PI (leader in the field and university with tons of nejm pubs), about 5 first author pubs, great reccs, and a variety of research experiences including a previous year off at the nih and 4 years of undergrad research. Had my essays and grant app reviewed too from previous acceptees/mentor and had great feedback before finalizing my essays. Big weaknesses I can think of were maybe because my project was clinical (vs lab based and the hhmi is very basic sciency), my PI was a non hhmi researcher (connections being very important), and that I smelled of derm (some background in derm research)....and without sounding cocky, perhaps I had a ton of research already is another reason and that people who havent had much research are much more deserving of the opportunity. Any feedback?

At the end of the day the hhmi in my eyes is just a grant or funding source and I am perfectly still willing to work for free (finalized my decision to take a year off) this year despite a big name grant associated with the title because I think the project my PI is doing is just too awesome to pass up and is something of a continuation from my year off at the NIH and of course it doesn't hurt to strengthen that app for residencies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I thought results were coming out in a week?
edited to add - never mind, thought you were referring to the summer grants.

Why is "smelling of derm" an issue?

Last edited:

Its the HHMI Medical Research Fellows Program...ehh I dont know, maybe just the stigma of derm/me overreacting

Members don't see this ad :)
And you're posting this because....?

Reactions: 2 users
Found out last night I didn't get the grant...190 apps, 70 accepted :(. Congrats to those who got it but i would love some feedback since im not sure what went wrong- had excellnt ugrad grades, top 20 med, highly reputed PI (leader in the field and university with tons of nejm pubs), about 5 first author pubs, great reccs, and a variety of research experiences including a previous year off at the nih and 4 years of undergrad research. Had my essays and grant app reviewed too from previous acceptees/mentor and had great feedback before finalizing my essays. Big weaknesses I can think of were maybe because my project was clinical (vs lab based and the hhmi is very basic sciency), my PI was a non hhmi researcher (connections being very important), and that I smelled of derm (some background in derm research)....and without sounding cocky, perhaps I had a ton of research already is another reason and that people who havent had much research are much more deserving of the opportunity. Any feedback?

At the end of the day the hhmi in my eyes is just a grant or funding source and I am perfectly still willing to work for free (finalized my decision to take a year off) this year despite a big name grant associated with the title because I think the project my PI is doing is just too awesome to pass up and is something of a continuation from my year off at the NIH and of course it doesn't hurt to strengthen that app for residencies.

OP it's ok. Half of everyone is in the bottom 50%, just like you.

OP it's ok. Half of everyone is in the bottom 50%, just like you.
Thanks sorry had to vent/get opinions from people who did get the grant or have better perspective on what the hhmi app process is really about

More like having a background in derm research.

Most likely it's bc your project was clinical research: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/options-to-replace-doris-duke.1010872/

190 submitted 70 accepted? Pretty good odds. NIH grants are at like 1-4% acceptance I believe.

It's kind of a crap-shoot with HHMI. I imagine not having a HHMI researcher as well as doing a clinical project hurt you. I always figured HHMI was more basic science driven.

Reactions: 1 user

I know you're extremely disappointed - all that work with a slam dunk project ultimately for this bad news. I've had similar research rejections (3 different ones for the same project). Don't try to overthink it, sometimes we just don't get what we want. What helped me was carrying on with the project, getting it accepted at a great conference, and getting it published in the top journal in its field. The reviewers of my project though it was dumb, not a significant contribution to the field, and wouldn't work as planned and, at least for my own satisfaction, I had my 'revenge' with the project's success after those rejections.