Didn't get summer funding for project

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AyyLMAO2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished M1, shooting for competitive specialty. The way it works at my school is that you find a project with a mentor, and then apply for NIH summer funding through the school for that specific project. Was initially confused on how the funding worked, since I didn't think that the NIH would fund projects in my specialty. Also, my mentor didn't assign me my project until after the deadline for applying passed, so now I'm basically working for free this summer. Honestly I don't really care about the money, since it isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, and I'm sure I'll get a pub out of this project. I'm more so wondering how it looks when I tell people I worked for free on a summer project, and not being able to say "I worked on an NIH funded summer project," which just sounds better. Speaking with my classmates, it seems like a lot of them were able to secure summer funding. Did I royally screw up?

Members don't see this ad.

You are way over thinking this, nobody will care. Just get the pub and call it a day

Reactions: 1 users
It’s not really a problem. You don’t need to tell anyone you worked for free on your application. Just list your project and accomplishments - that’s most important.

It honestly sucks more for you that you’ll have less money to work with during the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can relate to this on some levels. Has your PI indicated if they might be willing to fund you on their own? It technically counts as employment at that point, no?

No. This seems like a big deal in the moment but means absolutely nothing. I would take a summer position that guarantees me a publication over a 1-2K stipend.

Reactions: 1 user