Value of Grant Writing vs Publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zendo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to get a better sense of how valuable it is to work on grant writing in terms of competitiveness for matching residency (undecided specialty). I'm a second-year student and the only research project I've been able to get on is with working on a R01 grant proposal from the ground up. Progress is pretty slow.

I would appreciate thoughts on how much this project is worth on a CV as compared to pumping out publications. Just want to ensure I'm spending my time wisely as I don't particularly enjoy research. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There are some ways to spin that as a positive but ultimately it's not a particularly useful endeavor unless you plan to have a research career.

Grant-writing is a particular skill. Actually participating in data acquisition, analysis or paper-writing is the stuff that's going to be more attractive to programs.

The way I see it: programs are trying to recruit people that add to the program's prestige, either by past accomplishments or what potential they can bring to the department. E.g. someone who's published alot before can potentially publish alot for the department. But the department doesn't necessarily need a trainee writing grants for stuff. That much less-so in the realm of average resident scholarly activity.

Reactions: 1 user
WTF this does not seem like an appropriate med student activity. You are never, ever, ever, ever going to see the fruits of this grant application, and I would never in a million years farm out writing an R01 (or a K, or even a foundation level grant) to a medical student.

If you're trying to gain research experience just for the experience of trying something out, then you need to at least be performing experiments or doing some sort of chart review. If it's just a line item on your CV, then you need to get publication. But I'm not even sure how you would describe this activity on your CV--it's not even a research "experience" because it's just writing without actually doing any research.

I would bail unless there is a clear plan to incorporate you onto other more appropriate projects, and/or this grant writing can get repackaged into a review article (or two).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I wanted to get a better sense of how valuable it is to work on grant writing in terms of competitiveness for matching residency (undecided specialty). I'm a second-year student and the only research project I've been able to get on is with working on a R01 grant proposal from the ground up. Progress is pretty slow.

I would appreciate thoughts on how much this project is worth on a CV as compared to pumping out publications. Just want to ensure I'm spending my time wisely as I don't particularly enjoy research. Thank you!
It is very unlikely you'll ever write a grant proposal unless you're doing a PhD. Bad time investment. Might as well play video games, seriously.

Thank you all for your input. I see the consensus and it makes sense. It does hurt to see the significant time I've squandered both on the project itself and the lost opportunities to pursue more worthwhile research. I should have asked sooner, but better late than never. I will adjust my priorities accordingly.

It depends on what your roll is. If it is significant and you will be a co-investigator and the grant has a high likelihood of being funded before you submit eras and you want a research career then it could be useful, but still not at the expense of actual publications

It depends on what your roll is. If it is significant and you will be a co-investigator and the grant has a high likelihood of being funded before you submit eras and you want a research career then it could be useful, but still not at the expense of actual publications
0% chance a medical student would be a co-I on an R01

Reactions: 5 users
Hello,

No one will know you ghost wrote a part of a R01. In addition, an unfunded R01 is useful only to kindle a fire, or possibly… incredibly coarse toilet paper.

This is a waste of your time at this juncture.

Now if you told me you successfully competed for an F30… well then, color me impressed. Otherwise… hard pass.

Last edited:
0% chance a medical student would be a co-I on an R01
Unless the student is somehow heavily involved in whatever the R01 is focused on, but agree chance is small. Though I was briefly involved in a PCORI grant where a student was a co-I, and that student was pretty clueless. I excused myself as it was a clown show.