Didn't get in? Consider an MS degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathdr2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread on some of the MS programs (Hard Core Science) that have medical schools and/or links to medical schools. Of course anyone that enrolls in these programs should make sure to take a few upper level undergraduate classes like histology and embrology as well. Please feel free to conrtibute any other porgrams you know of to the list.

UNC-Chapel Hill
UMaryland- Baltimore
VCU
Howard
UPenn
Georgetown * Not highly recommended but an option
Drexel
Rutgers

Members don't see this ad.

It would be helpful if you listed if these are one-year or two-year programs. Also, almost any major university would have masters programs in the hardcore sciences. The bigger concern would be whether these programs have any linkages to the affiliated med schools.

Originally posted by pathdr2b
Of course anyone that enrolls in these programs should make sure to take a few upper level undergraduate classes like histology and embrology as well.

Should these classes be taken because they contribute to a person's undergrad bcpm? I know that my school no longer adjusts my undergrad gpa now that I am in a MS program. Do other schools not do this?

Members don't see this ad :)
hello,
i was just wondering why you don't recommend georgetown?

Gtown is a 1 year program. And from what I understand 1 year programs are only beneficial when applying to med school. Where as a two year program with thesis will allow you options in the work force as well as helping with med school. I could be wrong but that's is my understanding.

Originally posted by danwsu
Should these classes be taken because they contribute to a person's undergrad bcpm?

These classes are included because some adcoms consider grades earned as a graduate student "inflated". If you do well in these classes, in graduate school, and on the MCAT, you should have a decent shot at gaining admittance to medical school. Remember a far fewer percentage of students applying to medical school have advanced degrees so if you play it right, it will help you stand out.

Having a 1 or 2 year program depends on a number of factors. Looking at the catalogs of each of school you're interested in should answer your questions. However the length of the program will depend on what degree you have from undergradute studies.

As for Georgetown, it's not recommended by some students I've known that have done the program. Others (very few) found the program just fine.

As with anything, before commiting to a program make sure you speak to students already in the program. They're your best source of info.

Originally posted by lady bug
Also, almost any major university would have masters programs in the hardcore sciences.

This isn't quite true. My understanding is that the only hard core science degrees you can pursue at school like Hopkins is the PhD (I'm not counting the MHS since it's a Master of Health science degree and it rarely feeds in to Hopkins Med)

I'm in the Gtown MS program right now
I applied to dartmouth, finch and boston and got in to all of them and chose Gtown for its track record of getting people in.
It seems like most of the class applied beforehand and were on the verge of getting in. I was a first time applicant and didn't have any luck this year. The program is one year but out of the other one year programs: finch/boston, it gave you a real degree, an MS in biophysics and physiology. I've got mixed feelings about the program but in the end I think I learned a great deal and I have a feel for how first year will be like once I get in to med school. If anyone has any questions about the program hit me up with an email.