Didn't get in :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pt1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't get in to any of the 3 schools I applied to this year. I plan on applying to more schools next year but I was only about to apply locally this year to do family and work situations. Other than retaking the GRE which was my weak spot and doing more observation hours at different facilities, I only had 100 outpatient hours, what can I do to increase my chances next year?

I was thinking of getting my massage therapy license as I would be able to complete the program in 8 months but I wasn't sure if it would help my chances at all.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind me asking, which schools did you apply to?

My suggestion is if you have any "C"s in any of your course work, especially prerequisite classes, retake those and try to get an "A". If you know that your GRE was low retake that as well. There are some good study materials out there. I personally liked the Kaplan math workbook for the quantitative section. It was a nice refresher for some math that I hadn't seen since high school.

Also, I would definitely try and get more observation hours and make sure you have a variety of experience. If you have already done some shadowing in outpatient, try and do some hours in an inpatient facility, SNF, or neuro clinic. Don't have all of your hours in one setting.

As far as getting your massage therapy license, I don't see how that would help you any. I would devote those 8 months to retaking the GRE, improving any grades, and getting more observation hours. If you need the money you could also get a job as a therapy tech, which would improve your resume as well.

The biggest thing is not to give up. I didn't get in the first year I applied either, so keep working hard and you will have better luck the next year. I did.

I hope this helps!

Good Luck!

I mean a massage therapy license won't make or break you. It can be a way to make you stand out, but I'm not sure how programs value something like that. Best to email/call them to find out if that would heighten your chances. Perhaps have people critique your essay? I know that was a huge help. Also look at volunteering in settings outside of therapy. Some schools like to see community service. How was your GPA? Can you retake anything you got c's in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated with a 3.7 GPA but my total cum GPA is a terrible 2.7. I did terrible my first 2 years, went back and started from basically from sratch and did great but I have so many courses under my belt it is almost impossible to move my cumm GPA

My pre req GPA was around 3.15 with 2 Cs

Definitely retake the c's. Also, look for schools that look at last 60 hours GPA.

Retake ANY "C" classes, destroy the GRE to make up for your low GPA, obtain great references from PT's and people who can, or already know you well. Apply to at least 5 more schools than you did, and get a variety of hours as mentioned above. It's possible, it's been done by many on this forum, make it happen! Persistence is really key here to show admissions boards how badly you want this.

Don't apply to any school that requires a 3.0 minimum. Get out of the outpatient facilities and looked for more varied experience: a sports clinic, a SNF, whatever. Don't waste your time on a massage therapy license. It'll look good on your application, but at what expense? Better to redirect your attention and energy somewhere else: retaking classes and improving your GREs. A massage therapy license won't get you an interview; good stats will.

Kevin

Massage therapy schools are expensive..........save the money for DPT. Classes are a lot different. I considered that rout when I was in Undergrad, tempting, but ended up not what I wanted to do. Apply to more schools, follow the advice others have given. Retake the Cs at a com. college if possible.

I am a LMT and I can say from experience that getting my license helped me tremendously to get into PT school. Granted, I have over five years of experience and advanced certifications which compliment my base-line knowledge as a massage therapist. I was able to work as a LMT while completing my bachelors in Kinesiology, which not only helped me support myself during undergrad but also bolstered deeper learning in A&P, Biomechanics and other science courses.

That being said, If you are only getting licensed to look better on applications I'd say it is not worth it. PT schools seemed to be most impressed with what I did with my license rather than just the fact that I had one. I feel more and more schools are looking for students who will compliment the field with complimentary knowledge and background experience. In support of this notion, I've provided what a administrator emailed me after I turned down the schools acceptance offer:

"As being one of your interviewers on 12/2/12, I can say you will be a great asset to our profession not just because of your experience (i.e. Feldenkrais, massage, etc) but because of your motivation which was apparent on the interview. Your application was one among the 963 applications that we received. We selected only those that were the most competitive for our program and field to interview. You should feel proud of that"

Every school that I interviewed with seemed very impressed with my unique professional and educational experience. I am very passionate about one day infusing everything I've learned as a bodyworker into my PT practice. I think anyone who feels the need to study complimentary modalities out of a desire for a holistic understanding of the body before going into PT school should follow their heart and go for it!

Hope this helps,

Brandon

Last edited:
Do you guys know if schools take the higher grade of the retakes or average in both. Also do they take the higher grade as well for the GREs? Thanks

Do you guys know if schools take the higher grade of the retakes or average in both. Also do they take the higher grade as well for the GREs? Thanks

All the schools I applied to took the higher of the two. However, if you go through PTCAS, when you enter your grades, they do not take the higher, they calculate it using every grade you enter. So you may find that your PTCAS prereq GPA is lower than it truely is.

Some schools in PTCAS dont take the PTCAS calculation. You have to call each school to find out. Some schools I can think of are: Western, Loma Linda, University of Mary, and Arkansas State University. Yes, they take the highest score in the GRE

pubicsymphysis-

Do you mean that Western, Loma Linda, University of Mary, and Arkansas State University do not use ptcas gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a LMT and I can say from experience that getting my license helped me tremendously to get into PT school. Granted, I have over five years of experience and advanced certifications which compliment my base-line knowledge as a massage therapist. I was able to work as a LMT while completing my bachelors in Kinesiology, which not only helped me support myself during undergrad but also bolstered deeper learning in A&P, Biomechanics and other science courses.

That being said, If you are only getting licensed to look better on applications I'd say it is not worth it. PT schools seemed to be most impressed with what I did with my license rather than just the fact that I had one. I feel more and more schools are looking for students who will compliment the field with complimentary knowledge and background experience. In support of this notion, I've provided what a administrator emailed me after I turned down the schools acceptance offer:

"As being one of your interviewers on 12/2/12, I can say you will be a great asset to our profession not just because of your experience (i.e. Feldenkrais, massage, etc) but because of your motivation which was apparent on the interview. Your application was one among the 963 applications that we received. We selected only those that were the most competitive for our program and field to interview. You should feel proud of that"

Every school that I interviewed with seemed very impressed with my unique professional and educational experience. I am very passionate about one day infusing everything I've learned as a bodyworker into my PT practice. I think anyone who feels the need to study complimentary modalities out of a desire for a holistic understanding of the body before going into PT school should follow their heart and go for it!

Hope this helps,

Brandon

As another LMT with advanced certifications, I completely agree with this, and received similar feedback at my interviews. It is the experience of working in bodywork, and what you've learned that carries over to PT, that can strengthen an application. You won't have time to get any type of real experience if you try to get a massage license right before applying to PT school. I also think this would actually look bad on your application, because you would appear to be indecisive about what career you want to pursue. Massage therapy is a different career than physical therapy (it's not just a certification in a certain technique or modality). I agree that your application would be a lot stronger if you retake classes that you received C's in, and apply to schools that look only at the last 60 credits.

I also agree with Brandon that it is great to learn about other systems, like Feldenkrais, if you have a true interest in exploring these systems and learning. However, that is entirely different than attending massage school simply to try to strengthen a PT application. For the purpose of your PT application, it probably would be a lot of time, money, and energy spent for little return.

pubicsymphysis-

Do you mean that Western, Loma Linda, University of Mary, and Arkansas State University do not use ptcas gpa?

Yes sir or ma'am. lol. Western, University of Mary, LLU, and Arkansas state told me that they calculate their own GPA. Taking in the highest grade if repeated. Loma Linda is a bit different for "overall". They pick out specific classes and use those grades for their overall calculation. My overall was - 2.93 (PTCAS) / 3.1 (Highest) / 3.8 (LLU). But LLU ask that you be at 3.5 overall to stay competitive.

Not quite sure how you go from 2.93 to 3.8, that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Not quite sure how you go from 2.93 to 3.8, that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

I should probably let pubicsymphysis answer this, but PTCAS calculated his overall GPA to be 3.1, and Loma Linda calculated his pre-req GPA to be 3.8. That's how I read it.

Last edited:
I should probably let myosin answer this, but PTCAS calculated his overall GPA to be 3.1, and Loma Linda calculated his pre-req GPA to be 3.8. That's how I read it.

That's how I read it too. Your overall GPA can be low like 3.1 (to pubicsymphysis: please don't be offended by me saying low...my overall GPA is 3.1 too hahaha), but if a school picks out certain classes to calculate a pre-req GPA, then yes it can be 3.8. My #s are the exact same.

Well Jdaniels, let me makes some sense to you. LLU overall GPA is different than most schools. Most schools considers OVERALL as "all the courses you took in your academic career". LLU picks out 138 quarter/92 semester credits with a minimum of 18 quarter/12 semester credits of upper division coursework for their overall. So they want:

- HUMANITIES AND RELIGION: 24 quarter/16 semester credits
- COMMUNICATION: (9 quarter/ 6 semester credits minimum
- HEALTH AND WELLNESS: 3 quarter/2 semester units required.
- SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY AND ANALYSIS
- SOCIAL SCIENCE: 12 quarter/8 semester credits with at least one course at the upper division level.
- ELECTIVE UNITS

TOTAL: 138 quarter/92 semester credits

Fortunately, in the classes that LLU want in their overall, I did extremely well in. If you really dont believe me that LLU runs their overall GPA a bit differently then give them a call.

That's how I read it too. Your overall GPA can be low like 3.1 (to pubicsymphysis: please don't be offended by me saying low...my overall GPA is 3.1 too hahaha), but if a school picks out certain classes to calculate a pre-req GPA, then yes it can be 3.8. My #s are the exact same.

Hahaha, no worries. Not offended at all. :)

Sorry, just a misunderstanding, thanks for clearing that up :D

Wow, didn't know that. Something to think about. :)