PI said I can work on summer research project -- virtually?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joey jake

Reaction score
What to do?

I'd like to work on summer research in person with a PI. This is so that I can get a LOR and also learn better.

However, the PI said I can work on a summer research project, on a review paper, but virtually.

What should I tell him? Should I accept?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

i mean you don't have to sit next to your PI to write a review paper or touch a lab bench. Accept if you want to do the research.

Reactions: 2 users
Is working remotely useful? I would never see the PI or anyone? I want to ask if he has in-person projects? thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what you're doing. If it's some dataset analysis or a review paper. There's really nothing for u to do on site.

Reactions: 1 users
ok thank you. Its a review paper. I asked if I can work on another project, I mean if I never see PI how can he write a LOR and how will I learn a lot?

ok thank you. Its a review paper. I asked if I can work on another project, I mean if I never see PI how can he write a LOR and how will I learn a lot?

not med school, but I’m working remotely (email & zoom) with a faculty member on a research project (epidemiology). I’m pretty sure she’s going to be able to comment just fine on my subject matter knowledge, ability to critically review the literature, analyze data, problem solve, communicate effectively, and writing skills, etc. from our work together.

I will say, a review paper is kind of lame as a summer project. But if you don’t have any other options you may as well take it

I will say, a review paper is kind of lame as a summer project. But if you don’t have any other options you may as well take it

Lol yeah, i was hoping for something interesting, so has a lot of projects going on, so I asked him if another one might be possible. If he says no, that means he doesn't want me to get too involved, I guess.

not med school, but I’m working remotely (email & zoom) with a faculty member on a research project (epidemiology). I’m pretty sure she’s going to be able to comment just fine on my subject matter knowledge, ability to critically review the literature, analyze data, problem solve, communicate effectively, and writing skills, etc. from our work together.

Oh ok thank you for this advice. If I get no other option I will go with this, but its kind of boring tbh.

Yep, I have 100+ pubs and can probably count on my fingers the number of times all of the authors have been in the same physical location while doing the project/writing the manuscript.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol yeah, i was hoping for something interesting, so has a lot of projects going on, so I asked him if another one might be possible. If he says no, that means he doesn't want me to get too involved, I guess.
Or he might just not have anything else suitable for a med student or where a med student could be somewhat helpful.

You set up meetings every so often to discuss progress and future steps. That’s about all the face time you need

Reactions: 1 user
Or he might just not have anything else suitable for a med student or where a med student could be somewhat helpful.

Oh ok thank you so much. I will take it then, he is well-known, but if I never see him in person, not sure what LOR he might write, but I guess its better than doing nothing. Thank you again.

You set up meetings every so often to discuss progress and future steps. That’s about all the face time you need

Thank you, yeah I guess that will be the case. Thank you to everyone who responded.