Didn't honor in OB core rotation HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RealDOctor713

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,
I've been wanting to pursue OB since forever. I finished my third year OB rotation back in July which I loved but it turns out, six months and after the fact, my preceptor decided to give me my poorest evaluation yet (gave me multiple 4/5s and some 3/5s- no comments explaining why.) The school I go only has honors, pass and fail (no high pass) and to honor, you need a nearly spotless evaluation (average 4.5/5) and a decent score on the shelf so unfortunately I didn't honor in OB because of this evaluation.
So all this being said, are my dreams crushed? Are audition sites/ residencies not going to give me the time of day?
Some background:
Green Flags: My resume screams women's health (4 years prior work experience, volunteering, clubs, research, conferences, you name it it's nauseating) All my other rotations so far I've honored in/ gotten LoRs from.
Red Flags: My Step 1 score leaves a bit to be desired but it's not atrocious (above 220). I'm a DO so I know that's not a red flag but it is limiting in some ways, and this particular OB preceptor refuses to write letters of recommendation for students so I'm out an OB letter from my core rotation.

If you guys have any insight or kind words to get me out of this funk it would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You can shine on sub-I’s!

Reactions: 1 users
You’ll match for sure but it may not be at the top programs; while your commitment to women’s health is exemplary big academic programs also want top notch scores and grades; when i interview people I look at letters and research (many people don’t look at research) and I actually like to see one letter from a non OB specialty, preferably surgery and sub-I letters count for a lot so you’ll be fine with those. Did you do other services while on OB or Gyn can one of those people write you a letter?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll match for sure but it may not be at the top programs; while your commitment to women’s health is exemplary big academic programs also want top notch scores and grades; when i interview people I look at letters and research (many people don’t look at research) and I actually like to see one letter from a non OB specialty, preferably surgery and sub-I letters count for a lot so you’ll be fine with those. Did you do other services while on OB or Gyn can one of those people write you a letter?

Ah yes I could thank you so much for the advice!

I think a letter from an OB sub-I plus an internal medicine or surgery sub-I will go a long way. Talk to 4th years about this soon and try to plan out which sub-Is you will do at your home institution.

Reactions: 1 user