Didn't know what to say...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonicMD

Gotta keep running.~
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was talking with a fellow classmate on the phone just a moment ago, she called to ask about the homework due next class and then it turned into a decent converstation. After a while I found out she's trying to get into medical school as well, which I thought was pretty cool! The thing is though, she says she doesn't have a high school diploma since she messed up when she was younger and was wondering if it'd screw her up. I told her to start working for her GED but I wasn't 100% sure if it really made that big of a difference (I'd imagine so), so that's why I'm here. Does not having a high school diploma a major disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

It shouldn't matter too much, although I'm basing this off of my own ideas. Community colleges don't require high school diplomas and med schools accept community college credit, so I don't see any dilemma.

Nobody gives a **** about a high school diploma/GED in academia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ho'righty then.~ I'll let her know. I just wasn't sure as how that would come into play but now I do, thanks everyone.

I am not sure if I am understanding right, but are you telling me that both of you are in college, but she has no high school diploma?

What kind of college is this? Is it a real one, or one of those refashioned normal schools?

I am not sure if I am understanding right, but are you telling me that both of you are in college, but she has no high school diploma?

What kind of college is this? Is it a real one, or one of those refashioned normal schools?

Just because a student has not obtained a diploma or GED is no reflection on the school attended. It would have been possible for me to do the same, since by taking classes at the CC while in high school, I accumulated more than 1 year's worth of transferable credit prior to graduation.

Once a student has at least a year's worth of college credits under his belt, it is possible to transfer those to colleges and universities as a sophomore or higher without presenting a high school transcript, diploma, or SAT/ACT scores. The student has proven his ability to perform on a college level. He becomes a regular transfer student. There are probably other scenarios where this would be possible.