1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Didn't know what to say...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SonicMD, May 9, 2008.

1. SonicMD

SonicMD Gotta keep running.~
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I was talking with a fellow classmate on the phone just a moment ago, she called to ask about the homework due next class and then it turned into a decent converstation. After a while I found out she's trying to get into medical school as well, which I thought was pretty cool! The thing is though, she says she doesn't have a high school diploma since she messed up when she was younger and was wondering if it'd screw her up. I told her to start working for her GED but I wasn't 100% sure if it really made that big of a difference (I'd imagine so), so that's why I'm here. Does not having a high school diploma a major disadvantage?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. suwaifo

Pre-Medical
    It shouldn't matter too much, although I'm basing this off of my own ideas. Community colleges don't require high school diplomas and med schools accept community college credit, so I don't see any dilemma.

4. Cegar

7+ Year Member

Nobody gives a **** about a high school diploma/GED in academia.

5. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

If she gets her Bachelor's degree, lack of a high school diploma will mean nothing.

6. SonicMD

SonicMD Gotta keep running.~
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ho'righty then.~ I'll let her know. I just wasn't sure as how that would come into play but now I do, thanks everyone.

7. pride4jc727

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I am not sure if I am understanding right, but are you telling me that both of you are in college, but she has no high school diploma?

8. Asp

Asp
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What kind of college is this? Is it a real one, or one of those refashioned normal schools?

9. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Just because a student has not obtained a diploma or GED is no reflection on the school attended. It would have been possible for me to do the same, since by taking classes at the CC while in high school, I accumulated more than 1 year's worth of transferable credit prior to graduation.

Once a student has at least a year's worth of college credits under his belt, it is possible to transfer those to colleges and universities as a sophomore or higher without presenting a high school transcript, diploma, or SAT/ACT scores. The student has proven his ability to perform on a college level. He becomes a regular transfer student. There are probably other scenarios where this would be possible.

10. decafplease

decafplease Medical Student
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student