Didn't match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sblau001

yoyo1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I didn't match. Couldn't seem to get a spot in the scramble either, although I'm still waiting to hear from 2 programs. It doesn't look good though and I'm not holding my breath. Having already done my internship year, I'm looking for a PGY2 spot in either 06 or 07. If anyone knows of any openings for 06 (eg; someone leaving a previously matched spot or a new spot opening up), PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

sblau001 said:
Ok, so I didn't match. Couldn't seem to get a spot in the scramble either, although I'm still waiting to hear from 2 programs. It doesn't look good though and I'm not holding my breath. Having already done my internship year, I'm looking for a PGY2 spot in either 06 or 07. If anyone knows of any openings for 06 (eg; someone leaving a previously matched spot or a new spot opening up), PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

I also didn't match last year. I entered the match again this year and got tons of interviews at programs that I didn't interview with the year prior. Fortunately I matched this year!!! Yipee! What I would recommend that you do is to e-mail every program in the country that you'd be willing to go to, attach your cv and personal statement and let them know that you are available to begin this year. Send the bulk e-mail out now and then again closer to when the programs begin. If you don't get a response. Send the e-mail yet again when the interview season begins next year. You will probably get a few responses for programs who have openings and they may invite you to interview for 07' spots. I actually interviewed UMich, RIC and Stanford this year by doing this.

Check out these links for great contact info on the programs
http://www.physiatry.org/education/index.html
:laugh:
http://www.physiatry.org/education/index.html

sblau001 said:

so is pmr getting really competetive?....with my scores i'm getting a little nervous.

i hope u match this yr or next :)

Members don't see this ad :)
marcus_aurelius said:
so is pmr getting really competetive?....with my scores i'm getting a little nervous.

i hope u match this yr or next :)

Yes it is getting competitive, but scores is not what its all about. Be enthusiastic, read about the field, be personable on ur rotations and definitely rotate at programs u would want to go to.

sblau001, keep ur head up. If you're still looking into doing PM&R, that means that you are dedicated to doing PM&R. You just have to let programs know that. Let ur interest shine through.

I couldn't let this thread go by without throwing my $.02.

Last year, I did not match either. I would say that it IS getting more competitive. I went ahead and did my internship year and re-entered the match this year, but also I called every single program about every 2-3 months to ask if there were any open spots. Of course, I got plenty of "no"s but I did here a few yes. I continued to show my interest in PM&R and I made sure that every program director I interviewed with realized this. I happened to be reading this forum one day and found out that there was an opening. I called, interviewed and was offered an open PGY2 spot for this upcoming July.

My advice:
1. Continue to show your interest during your internship (talk with your PD, take a month working with the PM&R docs at the hospital)
2. Take an honest look at your situation and find areas of improvement (for example, I got 2 new letters this year, one of which was from my current program director [which was VERY important] and I revised my personal statement...also, my board scores were about the worst part of my application so I made sure I discussed this in my personal statement and during my interview)
3. Call programs (you never know if a resident might change their mind after matching or some other situation that might allow an opening after the match)
4. Don't lose faith (if you love the field, something will happen in your favor...if you don't, then you will realize that as well)

Good luck to you and keep your head up. ;)

DrGucciGal said:
I couldn't let this thread go by without throwing my $.02.

Last year, I did not match either. I would say that it IS getting more competitive. I went ahead and did my internship year and re-entered the match this year, but also I called every single program about every 2-3 months to ask if there were any open spots. Of course, I got plenty of "no"s but I did here a few yes. I continued to show my interest in PM&R and I made sure that every program director I interviewed with realized this. I happened to be reading this forum one day and found out that there was an opening. I called, interviewed and was offered an open PGY2 spot for this upcoming July.

My advice:
1. Continue to show your interest during your internship (talk with your PD, take a month working with the PM&R docs at the hospital)
2. Take an honest look at your situation and find areas of improvement (for example, I got 2 new letters this year, one of which was from my current program director [which was VERY important] and I revised my personal statement...also, my board scores were about the worst part of my application so I made sure I discussed this in my personal statement and during my interview)
3. Call programs (you never know if a resident might change their mind after matching or some other situation that might allow an opening after the match)
4. Don't lose faith (if you love the field, something will happen in your favor...if you don't, then you will realize that as well)

Good luck to you and keep your head up. ;)

:clap:

Thank you all for your help and support. I'm looking into research opportunities in PM&R (even if it means volunteering part-time), and will send out my CV in April to the programs, followed by bimonthly phone calls. I'm basically going to spend the next year or so boosting my resume. I've been looking around for moonlighting jobs as well as I should have my license real soon, but I'm finding that with just 1 year of residency under your belt, there is actually very little you can do even with a license. (Chalk it up to our litiginous society.) Anyway, the good thing is that I know that this is the only thing I want to do, so if it means restarting residency in 2008 instead of 2007, so be it. Once again, I want to thank everyone for your help and encouragement. It really means a lot!

I am currently doing my prelim medicine intern year, and am considering staying on internal medicine instead of going on to my PGY-2 spot in PM and R. I really like the program though and I don't want to leave them in a bad place. I am hoping to find someone on these forums who is still looking for a PGY-2 spot in PM and R. Anyone?

mirajack said:
I am currently doing my prelim medicine intern year, and am considering staying on internal medicine instead of going on to my PGY-2 spot in PM and R. I really like the program though and I don't want to leave them in a bad place. I am hoping to find someone on these forums who is still looking for a PGY-2 spot in PM and R. Anyone?

YES!!! I'm still looking for a spot. I will send you a private message. Thank you for the post!