Diet??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahlopez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good ideas for what to cook for med school??? what to eat??? I know we are going to be so busy and want to know what worked best for the med students?? Is organic healthy still possible?? and a low calorie diet still possible??:whistle:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any good ideas for what to cook for med school??? what to eat??? I know we are going to be so busy and want to know what worked best for the med students?? Is organic healthy still possible?? and a low calorie diet still possible??:whistle:
Cook what you like to eat. I still cook, not as time consuming things or as often as I used to, but frequently there is still time to make a meal. There has been time during first year. However 3rd and 4th year might be a different story. You can eat organic if there is a grocer nearby that sells organic food. Why couldn't you eat organic? Again healthy and low cal is up to you, you choose what you put into your mouth. Meals that make good leftovers are always a good call, cook once eat twice (or more).

LOL!!!:rofl::smack: I meant something a little not so general...hehe!:):)! Something more like exactly what you ate...some examples maybe...quick, healthy nutritious fixes??? what do you stock up on?? how many times do you eat in a day? i heard of some people actually eating once a day!!! that's crazy!!!!! it looks like i probably will be able to get in my 1000 calories!!! YAY!!!! :)! loL! do you guys actually have enough energy to function on one meal???? oh you know also i was thinking about just ordering like from nutrisystem where they deliver meals to your house every day that way i don't have to worry about any of it....i don't know

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL!!!:rofl::smack: I meant something a little not so general...hehe!:):)! Something more like exactly what you ate...some examples maybe...quick, healthy nutritious fixes??? what do you stock up on?? how many times do you eat in a day? i heard of some people actually eating once a day!!! that's crazy!!!!! it looks like i probably will be able to get in my 1000 calories!!! YAY!!!! :)! loL! do you guys actually have enough energy to function on one meal???? oh you know also i was thinking about just ordering like from nutrisystem where they deliver meals to your house every day that way i don't have to worry about any of it....i don't know

how do you live on 1000 calories a day. they would find me in a pile on the floor.

Do that ordering food thing. It is probably the healthiest way to make sure you don't resort to ordering pizza all the time.

Or you can make casseroles on Sunday nights to last you the week. I do that a lot of times, but I also don't mind eating the same thing everyday.

I also snack on almonds during class, sometimes peanut butter crackers (hate pb, but it has protein) and, of course, lots of coffee and tea.

As for the functioning on one meal thing - I found constantly snacking or eating a few small meals in the day helps me out better. It seems like all the people in my class eat a lot, and all the time. It is a good distraction from studying.

how do you live on 1000 calories a day. they would find me in a pile on the floor.

Yea, I thought the recommended calorie intake was no less than 1200. My calorie intake is 1800-2100, depending on what day it is.

I would assume constant snacking would be the general broad answer.

If you had to cook, make sure it's a) able to be packed in a tupperware, b) simple and quick, c) doesn't use 1301313 dishes to make and d) enough for several meals.

Pasta, bagels, sandwiches, salad, and cold sesame noodles to mind. Energy bars probably will be your friend too.

Woah :DThanks lots for the input guys!!! Really helpful!! I'm definitely a big snacker so will be doing a lot of that but calories build up quick that way and it seems like I have a tendency to eat more because I don't realize how much I am eating since hey there are only little handfuls...i don't know i really wanta stick with the rave diet...but doesn't seem likely in med school...mayb i'll give it a try anyway....the rave diet is basically no refined foods no animal foods no vegetable oils and no exceptions.....so basically fruits and veggies...and anything else thats raw...i know it sounds gross but really if you just do it for a week it makes you feel soooooooo incredibly good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then if you try to eat meats again after that it is really impossible....cuz the smell and everything is just sooo gross...but yea i think i will probably up my calorie intake like you said punkmedgirl and i will probably have to live off of packaged goods filled with chemicals and preservatives once again!!!!! :corny:ahhhhh!!!!!! i'm definitely going to die of renal failure...:boom:

I can tell you what I do, but just a warning -- I tend to have more carbs than the average person and I don't really care. I was raised on carbs and I'm fine with them. I also am not as much a fanatic as some are about healthy eating. I try to cut out fat whenever I can, but I don't do things like health shakes or meal supplements. Eating is fun for me and as long as I work out and don't have food-related health problems, I don't see why I shouldn't enjoy what I eat.

Now, how big is your freezer? What I do is stock up on all kinds of foods because I have a huge freezer. So on Saturday, I do the slow cooker. Do you have one? If not, get one. I basically put in 10 chicken breasts, a bag of baby carrots, some potatoes I cut up, and some celery. I dump it all into the slow cooker, hit 5-6 hours, and leave it. After that time, I've got 10 meals ready to be transferred to containers and stored in the freezer. Rice takes 10 minutes to cook, so when I get home from school, I make some rice and warm up one of the chicken meals to go with it.

I also make a huge pot of chili with ground turkey. Chili is the easiest thing to make and if you do it with turkey instead of beef, it's not bad for you. I do turkey, tomatoes, red peppers, sauce, chili powder, and beans. I make enough for about 7 days or so. I freeze it. When it's time to eat, I warm it up and toast 3-4 slices of bread (gotta have my carbs!), and enjoy.

The other thing I like may seem a little odd to some, but I like it. I use ground turkey and cook it up (drain the fat), add your spices, etc., then cook rice right there in the same pot with the turkey. It gives the rice the turkey flavor and in the end, I've got some rice/turkey concoction which I like. Again, I make enough for about a week and freeze.

I also freeze ground turkey cooked up with pasta sauce. I then cook some spaghetti or whatever during the week and there you go, a pasta meal.

Chicken casserole can be easy if you want to buy store-bought chicken strips. I make it with rice. Just cook up the rice, transfer it to a glass pan that can go in the oven, add some broccoli, throw in the chicken, sprinkle some cheese, and pop it into the oven for about 30 minutes. If it's a big pan, you can make enough for about 7-10 days. Freeze.

For breakfast, I like cereal, oatmeal, and chicken salad (yes, I know it's not really breakfast food) with cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, green peppers, olive oil, and lemon juice, and the chicken of course. I also like eggs and potatoes. I cook my potatoes with a bit of garlic and paprika and enjoy it. Sometimes I go through a phase where I have to have eggs every day, so I use egg beaters instead of real eggs. Tastes the same to me.

For lunch, I'll generally take a sandwich with me -- turkey, ham and cheese, whatever, or I'll take leftovers from dinner or anything in the freezer I need to get rid of to make room for whatever I plan to cook and store that weekend. I also take carrots or apples (apples and cheese -- favorite!) or grapes. I sometimes make pasta salad (no mayo since I'm not a fan of it) and take it with me (make sure you have a fridge/microwave at school). I need some chocolate by mid-day, so that's when I generally bring a few chocolate chip cookies or I buy a bag of Hershey's kisses and stuff 5-6 kisses in my lunch bag each day. I'm also a chip eater, so I sometimes do the vending machine thing, but I don't allow myself to keep chips in the house since I know I could go through a giant bag in no time. I usually use lunch for my snacks and don't usually deprive myself of one snacky item.

Anyway, hope this gives you a few ideas. It really isn't difficult to eat three meals a day in med school, so long as you plan ahead. Don't expect to come home from school at 5 p.m., have four hours of studying ahead of you, and think you're going to cook a steak that night. Cook on the weekends, freeze your meals, and do light cooking on the weekdays -- rice, pasta, easy fixes.

Woah :DThanks lots for the input guys!!! Really helpful!! I'm definitely a big snacker so will be doing a lot of that but calories build up quick that way and it seems like I have a tendency to eat more because I don't realize how much I am eating since hey there are only little handfuls...i don't know i really wanta stick with the rave diet...but doesn't seem likely in med school...mayb i'll give it a try anyway....the rave diet is basically no refined foods no animal foods no vegetable oils and no exceptions.....so basically fruits and veggies...and anything else thats raw...i know it sounds gross but really if you just do it for a week it makes you feel soooooooo incredibly good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then if you try to eat meats again after that it is really impossible....cuz the smell and everything is just sooo gross...but yea i think i will probably up my calorie intake like you said punkmedgirl and i will probably have to live off of packaged goods filled with chemicals and preservatives once again!!!!! :corny:ahhhhh!!!!!! i'm definitely going to die of renal failure...:boom:

You don't have to eat unhealthy just because you are upping your caloric intake. I eat higher calories because I workout six days a week and don't want to kill over because I don't have enough fuel to support my activities. I also maintain a healthy diet so no my calories don't consist of "chemicals and preservatives" all day.

Woah thanks so much Gabby for the input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRETTY AMAZING!! and VERY HELPFUL!!!!! I will definitely be putting those ideas to use!!!:):)!

Oh no i didn't mean that you ate a whole bunch of chemicals...not at all...I was just stating the fact that I probably will be when I start med school cuz I will not have the time to cook anything but will more likely resort to faster unhealthier foods and i was just stating that i will probably need to up my calorie intake anyway because i will be much more active in med school...just taking your advice....:)!

You probably want to lay off the meth, too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no i didn't mean that you ate a whole bunch of chemicals...not at all...I was just stating the fact that I probably will be when I start med school cuz I will not have the time to cook anything but will more likely resort to faster unhealthier foods and i was just stating that i will probably need to up my calorie intake anyway because i will be much more active in med school...just taking your advice....:)!

You can still eat healthy. I think your over thinking it too much.

You probably want to lay off the meth, too.

Nice, that good old SDN charm.:cool:

I'm gonna take a risk here and claim that you will probably not up your activity level when you start med. school. We spend 8 hours sitting in a classroom. Although working out and whatnot is easy to fit into our schedule, the general activity level is really quite low, hence the "first year fifty" joke that some of my classmates have started.

I'm a powerlifter who eats 4-5k calories a day and here is the majority of my diet... which I don't see changing significantly next year.

Main meals i literally rotate between:
(1) 3lbs ground turkey breast, 1 pound penne pasta, spaghetti sauce. Makes about 6-10 meals depending on when I eat/how hungry. Costs about $9.00.
(2) 1 lb black beans, 1/2 lb rice, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 2 cans mixed vegetables and a shredded cheese. Makes same # meals as above and costs about $10.00

Snacks: carrots, almonds, boiled eggs, celery and peanut butter, yogurt and oatmeal, shredded wheat cereal..

I eat 1-2 protein shakes a day which have a ton of random stuff.

Occasionally I eat out and when I do, it's usually chipotle. The above stuff is super cheap, super healthy, and requires virtually no work to prepare.

LOL! OK that is a LITTLE SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you are not implying 50 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( That would be horrible!! :laugh:When I said activity i meant like using more brain power thus burning way more calories..but who knows...WOAH! I can't believe you eat 4-5k cal!!! You must exercise a lot! Yea I hope Ill have time to exercise.....thnks lots for the great tips tho! I will definitely be doing a lot of shakes since they're easy to make and carry around...but I was curious what shakes taste the best??? THat rice and veggie mix sounds super delicious!! HEy also this is really random but had a question too about roomies...Do you guys think it is better to room with someone or live by yourself??? pros and cons??

My eating hasn't really changed much since school started. My husband or I cook every night or every other night.

I try to buy mostly organic and/or local foods.

A typical week I usually have some sort of fish and/or seafood. Then I have a couple of vegetarian meals such as veggie stir fry or homemade pizza. The other day or 2 I'll make whole wheat pasta with ground turkey and veggies or some other type of pasta. We always have a side or 2 of veggies with our meal. For grains I usually get cous cous or quinoa.

Everything we make is pretty simple, generally healthy and not too time consuming.

I get some recipes from cooking light magazine or just searching for simple recipes such as pasta sauces online.

Great!!! Thanks for the advice!! Is your husband in med school with you too!? That's pretty awesome!!

I can't believe we are even having this conversation.

Honestly, future doctors. Eat healthy. Eat when you're hungry. Stop when you're full. Exercise when you have free time. If you don't have free time, make time.

It's not rocket science. Stop obsessing over what you eat. Once you get to medical school, you will be too busy to be obsessive.

Good luck and be intuitive,
-z-line-

I can't believe we are even having this conversation.

Honestly, future doctors. Eat healthy. Eat when you're hungry. Stop when you're full. Exercise when you have free time. If you don't have free time, make time.

It's not rocket science. Stop obsessing over what you eat. Once you get to medical school, you will be too busy to be obsessive.

Good luck and be intuitive,
-z-line-

I've been constantly amazed by the lack of knowledge in regards to fitness and nutrition, not just by pre-meds, but also on the part of practicing physicians. It's scary considering that health starts with these two things.

Malachi--I couldn't agree more. Eating healthfully and staying active are the foundation of every kind of health, and it is important that we, as future physicians, practice what we preach.

What frustrates me is when people try and break down "diet & exercise" into some special, detail-oriented algorithm. Maybe this is true for specific regimens that target the body aesthetic. But when it comes to good old-fashioned health and longevity, there is no secret diet. Just eat as naturally as possible and eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and other plant-based foods. And move your body at every chance you can get, particularly in a way that makes you happy.

And if you're interested in longevity, check this out: TedTalks--Dan Buettner: How to live to be 100+

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/dan_buettner_how_to_live_to_be_100.html

The 7 word guide to diet:

Eat food.

Not too much.

Mostly plants.

-Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food

I went on Nutrisystem towards the end of my 2nd year.

Holy crap. Best decision ever.
Not only do I not have to THINK about it, but the food is good. Throw some fresh veggies together and there you go.

Not even from a weight loss persepective (it works for that too) but just in general I feel great. I know exactly what I'm eating (and the calories, I'm trying to lose weight so I eat about 1100 a day, when I started I was eating about 8-900 which seemed a bit low so I added a bit more cheese to the regular rotation) and I'm not hungry or tempted to snack. This is great because I'm a nervous eater and a stress eater and a bored eater....which basically means I'm a "studying" eater lol. This has worked quite well to keep me from feeling like I'm going to wind up on some path slide :p

I really wish I'd thought of this sooner. It's amazing ESPECIALLY for breakfast.

Last edited:
Wow. Really?! NutriSystem?

Come on, people. That crap is absolutely full of preservatives, chemicals, additives, pesticide residues and artificial sweeteners and colors. You're basically paying a boat load of money to dump sewage directly into your arteries. Yeah, you might lose weight, but you're doing a hell of a lot of cellular damage that will definitely catch up with you if you continue to eat so artificially in the long run.

How about eating whole foods, eating organic, and eating a plant-based diet? It's really not so hard. It's good for you and naturally low in calories. Your body will love you for it and put you right at your naturally lowest weight.

Lean, mean, [green] fighting machine! :D :D :D

-z-line-

Wow. Really?! NutriSystem?

Come on, people. That crap is absolutely full of preservatives, chemicals, additives, pesticide residues and artificial sweeteners and colors. You're basically paying a boat load of money to dump sewage directly into your arteries. Yeah, you might lose weight, but you're doing a hell of a lot of cellular damage that will definitely catch up with you if you continue to eat so artificially in the long run.

How about eating whole foods, eating organic, and eating a plant-based diet? It's really not so hard. It's good for you and naturally low in calories. Your body will love you for it and put you right at your naturally lowest weight.

-z-line-

I have to agree with this. The main advantages of nutrisystem are it's convenience and forced portion control, which makes it effective for weight loss. I do not, however, think it's ideal for optimal health. For my own diet, I focus on meat, vegetables, some nuts and fruits and get the most natural products I can find. Comparing this to even the diabetic version of nutrisystem shows that their plan contains considerably more sugar and is way higher in sodium despite their claims of being a low sodium plan, plus there's all the preservatives and other 4 syllable chemicals that do who knows what to our bodies.

Also, I saw the mens plan is limited to 1500 calories. I'm currently losing weight on an average of 2700 calories a day, so I'd have to nearly double all my food just to maintain the same activity level. That would be pretty expensive.

A good rule of thumb I have come across is to take your ideal target body weight (in lbs), and multiply it by ten. Then eat 100 calories a day less than that and you will lose. (This can be further adjusted if you are doing a ton of exercise, but for slugs, this formula works fine).

Eg say you weight 170 lbs but your ideal is 150. 150*10-100 is 1400. If you eat 1400 calories a day, you should lose weight and not drop dead. Works very well for people whose target weight is average or above. I'm not sure how this rule of thumb works when someone feels like their ideal weight is < 100 though.

A good rule of thumb I have come across is to take your ideal target body weight (in lbs), and multiply it by ten. Then eat 100 calories a day less than that and you will lose. (This can be further adjusted if you are doing a ton of exercise, but for slugs, this formula works fine).

Eg say you weight 170 lbs but your ideal is 150. 150*10-100 is 1400. If you eat 1400 calories a day, you should lose weight and not drop dead. Works very well for people whose target weight is average or above. I'm not sure how this rule of thumb works when someone feels like their ideal weight is < 100 though.

Interesting. Obvious outliers and obese people aside, is ideal weight really an objective metric that can be applied to any individual?

Last edited:
Interesting. Obvious outliers and obese people aside, is ideal weight really an objective metric that can be applied to any individual?

Each person generally has an idea of what weight would be their ideal -- perhaps it's what they weighed in college before the freshman fifteen, perhaps it's what's normal for their height when calculating BMI. Doesn't really matter -- the number needs to be a ballpark of what you'd like to weigh that isn't unrealistic for your height (preferably what you actually at one time may have weighed).

If you multiply 10 by that number its going to be pretty darn close to the break even calorie point -- the point at which you aren't going to gain or lose any weight (obviously significant metabolism and exercise levels will throw this off for everyone but it's meant to be a ballpark, and it seems pretty close for most people who use it and aren't doing crazy gym hours). So if you eat 100 cals less, you ought to lose weight (hence the (ideal weight *10)-100 formula.) I cannot recall where I came across this, but I have seen it applied with success by quite a few. It's very much a back of the envelope, non-scientific ballparking method, but I find it helpful.

How would this be adjusted for someone working out 4-5 days a week?

1400 calories per day is a calorie restricted diet.. yea, they will lose weight!

1400 calories per day is a calorie restricted diet.. yea, they will lose weight!

True, but the formula still works if you are 250 and your ideal weight is 210 lbs and you are eating 2000 calories -- you ought to still lose weight based on my experience. It's really just a rough way to find the break even point, and dial back calories from there.

How would this be adjusted for someone working out 4-5 days a week?

Intense workout will push the break even calories higher. One would guess you probably could burn an extra couple hundred calories a session. So add, say, 200 calories to the formula on days you work out and see if you still lose.

Intense workout will push the break even calories higher. One would guess you probably could burn an extra couple hundred calories a session. So add, say, 200 calories to the formula on days you work out and see if you still lose.

Okay. I'm always confused about this whole calorie crap. I know as a woman you're not suppose to go lower than 1200 calories and I also know there is a certain amount of calories you need to intake to meet your basal metabolic rate. After that, I'm lost.

True, but the formula still works if you are 250 and your ideal weight is 210 lbs and you are eating 2000 calories -- you ought to still lose weight based on my experience. It's really just a rough way to find the break even point, and dial back calories from there.

That's why your previous post caught my attention. I'm 6'3" 225 and workout for 60-75 minutes 6 days a week. However, I probably eat 4-5k calories a day which is why my weight doesn't fluctuate (re: doesn't drop) as much.

My ideal weight is probably close to 210, maybe 200 if I was dropping significant muscle mass, and 2000 calories actually seems like a reasonable goal. Something I'll definitely remember in the future.

I agree though, someone who is 5'1" and has an "ideal weight" of 110-115 lbs should probably eat more than 1000-1050 calories a day.

AGGGGH this whole thread is driving me CRAZY! I'm sorry, but I have very strong opinions about how doctors (and future doctors) should view diet and exercise. As physicians, it is out goal to not only promote optimum health, but to also practice what we preach, and serve as models and educators within our communities.

What I see written here is either a lot of nonsense and jargon, or a lot of unreasonable and unhealthy approaches to weight loss and nutrition. Given that the current state of nutrition and exercise physiology education in most medical school curricula is close to nil, this scares me.

The human body has been honed over thousands and thousands of years of evolution (sincerest apologies to those who are not a proponent of this idea). It is a smart, well-oiled machine that comes pre-equipped with most of what it needs to not only survive, but thrive.

Everything you need to achieve an "ideal body weight"--i.e. the one nature intended for you, and not some unreasonable runway-model, cultural ideal--is present in nature. I think, as future physicians--especially future osteopathic physicians--we should be thinking about diet, exercise, and weight in terms of what is natural, holistic, and comprehensive.

Please, people, let's stop hijacking our bodies with all of this number-crunching and superstition and start thinking about this in terms of medicine. And please, please, take care of (and listen to) your body.

-z-line-

AGGGGH this whole thread is driving me CRAZY! I'm sorry, but I have very strong opinions about how doctors (and future doctors) should view diet and exercise. As physicians, it is out goal to not only promote optimum health, but to also practice what we preach, and serve as models and educators within our communities.

What I see written here is either a lot of nonsense and jargon, or a lot of unreasonable and unhealthy approaches to weight loss and nutrition. Given that the current state of nutrition and exercise physiology education in most medical school curricula is close to nil, this scares me.

The human body has been honed over thousands and thousands of years of evolution (sincerest apologies to those who are not a proponent of this idea). It is a smart, well-oiled machine that comes pre-equipped with most of what it needs to not only survive, but thrive.

Everything you need to achieve an "ideal body weight"--i.e. the one nature intended for you, and not some unreasonable runway-model, cultural ideal--is present in nature. I think, as future physicians--especially future osteopathic physicians--we should be thinking about diet, exercise, and weight in terms of what is natural, holistic, and comprehensive.

Please, people, let's stop hijacking our bodies with all of this number-crunching and superstition and start thinking about this in terms of medicine. And please, please, take care of (and listen to) your body.

-z-line-

Add to this the fact that our national 'diet and nutrition guidelines' are not based on science but instead are written by industry lobbyists. This of course has helped us become lipophobic, crappy-carb-gorging, fat unhealthy people (excellent, by the way, if you are interested in selling lots of pharma products and medical procedures...could this be related to your experiences in medical school of learning next to zero nutrition info?).

Okay. I'm always confused about this whole calorie crap. I know as a woman you're not suppose to go lower than 1200 calories and I also know there is a certain amount of calories you need to intake to meet your basal metabolic rate. After that, I'm lost.

calories taken in > calories used = weight gain
calories taken in < calories used = weight loss

Med school gets a little harder than this unfortunately.

Often repeated but doesn't stand up to science. Read Taubes 'Good Calories Bad Calories'.

-z-line-

So expand on that. What do you have for breakfast? I find that if I don't have eggs or pancakes or something like that, I'm still hungry. Eggs aren't good for you every day obviously and I try to eat cereal or oatmeal with some fruit or something, but it just doesn't fill me up for more than an hour.

So expand on that. What do you have for breakfast? I find that if I don't have eggs or pancakes or something like that, I'm still hungry. Eggs aren't good for you every day obviously and I try to eat cereal or oatmeal with some fruit or something, but it just doesn't fill me up for more than an hour.

Why not (other than getting a little boring perhaps)?

Med school gets a little harder than this unfortunately.

I think any ***** understands that concept, what I don't understand is how much calories am I suppose to intake when I'm not entirely sure on how much I burn. Should my daily calorie intake fluctuate everyday or should I be eating the same amount of calories everyday even on days I don't work out. I have a friend that advised me not to count my calories...which is frustrating to say the least. Currently, I'm on a 1600-1800 cal diet which is working out for me so far...I think.

I think any ***** understands that concept, what I don't understand is how much calories am I suppose to intake when I'm not entirely sure on how much I burn. Should my daily calorie intake fluctuate everyday or should I be eating the same amount of calories everyday even on days I don't work out. I have a friend that advised me not to count my calories...which is frustrating to say the least. Currently, I'm on a 1600-1800 cal diet which is working out for me so far...I think.

Honestly, I think it's pointless to count calories. If you want to lose weight, work out more or eat less fat (notice I didn't say eat less, just eat less fat). If you eat three burgers a day (hypothetical) and work out 30 minutes 3 days a week, try two burgers and a grilled chicken sandwich with some fruit if you're still hungry and/or work out 5 days a week. That will get you started on losing weight. Once you start to lose, you can adjust accordingly.

I never deprive myself based on silly calories. I think that's a horrible way to control your food. For me, eating is enjoyable. I work out, I watch what I eat, I stay away from too much fat in one day, and I go on with life. There are way more important things to worry about in life than whether or not I'm 100 calories over my plan each day.

If you think your future patients will be able to accurately and consistently perform these mathematical calorie-gymnastics, guess again. Forget it. Just eat better.

You have my permission to eat the yolk too.:thumbup: (You aren't stuck in that 'eggs/cholesterol' mindset, are you??)

I am actually. Back when I was eating eggs everyday, my labs were horrible. My doctor advised me to try Egg Beaters, but I'm not a fan of fake anything. I now eat eggs only a couple of days a week and my labs are better. Nothing else in my diet has changed really.

Honestly, I think it's pointless to count calories. If you want to lose weight, work out more or eat less fat --well eat the right fats, and eat less junk carbs -- (notice I didn't say eat less, just eat less fat). If you eat three burgers a day (hypothetical) and work out 30 minutes 3 days a week, try two burgers and a grilled chicken sandwich with some fruit if you're still hungry and/or work out 5 days a week. That will get you started on losing weight. Once you start to lose, you can adjust accordingly.

I never deprive myself based on silly calories. I think that's a horrible way to control your food. For me, eating is enjoyable. I work out, I watch what I eat, I stay away from too much fat in one day, and I go on with life. There are way more important things to worry about in life than whether or not I'm 100 calories over my plan each day.
:thumbup: