Difference b/w assigning and submitting on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaintJude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMCAS says

Letter entries may be added and assigned to medical schools after you have submitted your application. However, once you have submitted your application, letter entries cannot be edited or deleted; they can only be marked "No Longer Being Sent".

So I have a few recommendations I am not sure I would like to actually send on to schools.

Should I create an entry of ALL the possible recs on AMCAS, have my AMCAS verified, but then... wait until my secondaries to actually assign letters?

Will med schools see that I didn't assign some letters to them?

Members don't see this ad.

But don't you need to create an entry in order to get the letter ID that should be included on the rec?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does "not be a sent" have a negative connotation?

Or are you saying that mark doesn't matter , b/c school only "see" recs you assign to them?

Yes, you do need to create the entry to get the ID, but it doesn't (and shouldn't, IMO) need to be included on the recommendation.

oh, really...oops. Then how do you put the Id on the rec? I'm using interfolio.

But once your verify, I thought that in order to add a recommendation to AMCAS it will have to be "re-verified" Which takes forever. Is that wrong?

So, I just want to get this right...

I should make entries for all of them...verify...and wait to assign them.?

Or make only entries for the definitive ones, and then verify...?

I'm sorry, but i'm still a bit confused..

Thank you Wolverine Fan!!!

DON'T PUT ON A REC LETTER UNLESS IT WILL DEFINITELY BE SENT!!!

Here is a note from my pre-med advisor:

"Note of caution on outside letters. AMCAS will process and send out your application whether or not the committee letter and other recommendations have been received. Yet, when you list their names on AMCAS, medical schools will be waiting for their letters before they review your file. Be sure that the recommender will be able to get the letter in this summer. Many medical schools start reviewing files at the beginning of August (some even in mid-late July).

I had a situation a few years ago where an alumna started working for a prominent scientist in June following graduation, and the PI was going to send in a letter at the end of the summer. The PI never got to it, and into late October the alumna had no interview offers. In order to get schools to start reviewing her file she had to tell AMCAS that the letter would no longer be sent. Once you submit AMCAS with recommenders listed on the application, you can not delete the names. For that alumna, AMCAS then lists "letter no longer being sent." Soon after the interview invitations started in, but a lot of the fall dates were filled by then so she was interviewing into January. At schools that interview the entire pool first (Penn, Harvard, etc,) that is not a problem but for rolling admission places it can be. In addition she had to explain in some interview that she was still working in the same research group but that the PI was so busy that he never got to it. Recognizing the name the interviewers understood but in a few situations responding to the question was a bit awkward."

Best,
C

I see, thank you!! So all my problems have really come from not understanding Interfolio.

I didn't know you could add the ID later. In which case, it's prob best just to wait you know you'll def actually be using it until making an entry on AMCAS.

Ok, that makes sense. I think I'll just wait to assign letters to each med schools until I'm submitting secondaries. mucho grazie!

im trying to figure this out too...

i have one extra letter that i would like to send to a particular school. when i submitted amcas, i did not assign this LOR to the school since i wasn't sure yet. if i wanted to assign it now, it would merely just be a matter of going to my amcas, assigning it, waiting for amcas processing, and that's it? does any one know how quickly it can be processed and sent to the school?

any help would be appreciated!