Difference b/w non-invasive cardiology, internal cardiology, and cardiology-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazinfury

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between non-invasive cardiology, internal cardiology, and cardiology-pediatrician? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What's the difference between non-invasive cardiology, internal cardiology, and cardiology-pediatrician? Thanks

The linguistics of your question are a little odd, but I think the answer you're looking for is this: a non-invasive cardiologist (adult or pediatric) doesn't to do invasive procedures (i.e. diagnostic a/o interventional catheterization or invasive electrophysiology). There are adult cardiologists who did internal medicine residencies prior to subspecializing and there are pediatric cardiologists who did a pediatrics residency prior to training.
Pediatric cardiology (where I am coming from) has further subspecialization in interventional, electrophysiology, cardiac critical care (generally someone who double boards in Peds Cards and Peds Critical Care), cardiac imaging (CT/MR), transplant, and adult congenital. There are also those who do a fourth year of fellowship in echocardiography in which fetal echo is emphasized (as well as honing transthoracic and transesophageal skills). I believe adult has similar superspecialization tracks (with the exception of fetal echo, and I don't think many adult people double board in cardiology and critical care)

Last edited:
In the adult world, there are non-invasive, invasive, and interventional cardiology. Non-invasive cards don't do caths, but at most float a Swanz-Ganz in the CCU. Invasive cards do diagnostic caths and some people group EP docs here. Interventionalist deploy stints.

Most adult cardiologist today do at lest dianostic caths, but not all. Those that don't, usually specialize in either imaging modalities like echo, nuclear or CT/MR, or they will focus on Transplant/Heart failure (these guys will do biopsies).

There are a few cardiology programs now that offer dual training in critical care and cardiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought clinical cards, EP, and interventional were the big three jobs in cards, with the latter two requiring extra training after three medicine years and three cards fellowship years. Am I wrong?

i thought clinical cards, EP, and interventional were the big three jobs in cards, with the latter two requiring extra training after three medicine years and three cards fellowship years. Am I wrong?

From general cardiology, you can subspecialize in many different areas:

Interventional cardiology (angioplasty/stenting, percutaneous valves, sometimes ASD/VSD closures)

Electrophysiology (arrhythmias, pacemakers, implantable defibrillators)

Echocardography

Nuclear cardiology

Imaging (Cardiac CT/MRI)

Congenital

Heart Failure

Transplant

all areas have potential for big money if thats what you're into. some of the more unpredictable ones transplant, EP, Heartfailure, Interventional make more cause of call aspects. congenital is super cool.

I didnt realize that there were so many, but Im sure there aren't fellowships/boards in all of them. At least, if there are, there aren't very many.
My question is whats the difference between EP and Interventional in terms of call. I don't know of very many EP emergencies.

I know of many EP emergencies. Actually I could argue that every cardiac emergency is an EP emergency... well maybe not. Anyway, The thing is, that they probably wont drag an EP cardiologist into the hospital at night to deal with it. The EM attending, CCM fellow, or other housestaff will stabilize the patient until the cardiologist comes in.

Also, all of the subspecialties of cardiology have fellowships and boards. Its just that some of them are not found on FREIDA, and the boards are given by an agency other than the ACP, NBIM... or whoever those people are... I cant remember right now.