difference between dental and md?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidlee97

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just noticed that dds applicatnts have a LOT of shadowing hours compared to MD applicants where most are satisfied with 20 hours. why?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what apps you're looking at where shadowing MD/DO is about 20 hours. Most on here and reddit seem to have 100+ if not more than 200...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what apps you're looking at where shadowing MD/DO is about 20 hours. Most on here and reddit seem to have 100+ if not more than 200...

Anyone that has 100+ hours is wasting their time past 100, especially if they are just racking hours with the same specialties and doctors. 200+ just means they really enjoy shadowing. After maybe 50 hours with 2-3 specialties you begin to see diminishing returns. It is important to remember that shadowing is not included in clinical hours.

Anyone that has 100+ hours is wasting their time past 100
Have you personally read other threads with people's stats?

I have over 100+ and was worried it was not enough. Different specialties, different sites, different states... maybe I should different country ;)

Maybe you should spend less time standing behind the doctor and more time standing in front of him.

I mean doing clinical volunteering that makes you a part of the care team.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not talking about what people have or what you are worried about.
Lol. I'm not worried about a thing, my friend. Very confident in what I bring to the table and comfortable with my distractions (age, old/bad GPA, etc).

To me, your guidance is a little misguided and I'd hate for others to think it was sufficient. Most of the people whose apps I review or stats I see, have more than 100+ hours in shadowing. That's all. :) Cheers!

Lol. I'm not worried about a thing, my friend. Very confident in what I bring to the table and comfortable with my distractions (age, old/bad GPA, etc).

To me, your guidance is a little misguided and I'd hate for others to think it was sufficient. Most of the people whose apps I review or stats I see, have more than 100+ hours in shadowing. That's all. :) Cheers!

Do you see GynGyn's comment that 50 hours for MD is acceptable? Anything over 80 is excessive IMO.

I have 30hrs of shadowing. I honestly though it was a waste of time following the doc/medical assistant around. I have worked in a medical office for over 500hrs and have learned more than I can explain. Quantity may get you through the door but not through interviews or life.