Difference between lcsw and lcsw-c

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikibah

MSW student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the lcsw and lcsw-clinical. To my understanding, both can do private practice. Is there any practical difference?

Members don't see this ad.

The C in LCSW stands for "clinical." Whats the point of saying it two times in the same title, lol

By the thread title, I thought this was going to be about LCSW candidates (LCSW-C).

Even here though, sounds like someone's trying to add extra letters behind their name. I don't understand the point myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
The C in LCSW stands for "clinical." Whats the point of saying it two times in the same title, lol
By the thread title, I thought this was going to be about LCSW candidates (LCSW-C).

Even here though, sounds like someone's trying to add extra letters behind their name. I don't understand the point myself.

This isn't something people just decide to put after their name. After looking at state boards I see that there are two different certification. The lcsw, which you can get after two years supervisions, and the LCSW-C which is what you get when the two years of supervision were of the clinical nature. I just don't what the practical difference. Also, in many states that would mean licensed clinical social worker-clinical...which like Erg says, looks weird. However, in others the the first "c" actually stands for certified.

[/QUOTE=However, in others the the first "c" actually stands for certified.[/QUOTE]

That. Licensed Certified Social Worker/Licensed Certified Social Worker - Clinical.

whats the "certified" part mean?

I don't know. Why not just certified as a licensed social worker? Unless you'll argue licensed means certified.....I have no idea.

It's confusing, because it varies by state. In California, LCSW means Licensed Clinical Social Worker. In other states, LCSW could mean Licensed Certified Social Worker to designate those who have completed a master's level education and 3000 hours of supervised work. In this case, an extra C (for Clinical) is added at the end (i.e., LCSW-C) to indicate clinical or mental health practice (instead of management, or other nonclinical work). I'm guessing LCSW-C is equivalent to the California LCSW. Interestingly, in California, there are no extra letters added to the LCSW whether you work in a clinical setting or not. To add to the confusion, other states (such as Washington) use LISW or LICSW; again, these two are designations for licensed master's level social workers. The extra C in Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker indicates clinical or mental health practice. There are a host of other acronyms (e.g., LMSW, LASW, etc.) for social workers depending on state licensure. Some social workers with extra clinical work certification also have the BCD at the end of the LCSW, which stands for Board Certified Diplomate. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
It's confusing, because it varies by state. In California, LCSW means Licensed Clinical Social Worker. In other states, LCSW could mean Licensed Certified Social Worker to designate those who have completed a master's level education and 3000 hours of supervised work. In this case, an extra C (for Clinical) is added at the end (i.e., LCSW-C) to indicate clinical or mental health practice (instead of management, or other nonclinical work). I'm guessing LCSW-C is equivalent to the California LCSW. Interestingly, in California, there are no extra letters added to the LCSW whether you work in a clinical setting or not. To add to the confusion, other states (such as Washington) use LISW or LICSW; again, these two are designations for licensed master's level social workers. The extra C in Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker indicates clinical or mental health practice. There are a host of other acronyms (e.g., LMSW, LASW, etc.) for social workers depending on state licensure. Some social workers with extra clinical work certification also have the BCD at the end of the LCSW, which stands for Board Certified Diplomate. Hope this helps.

Awesome. Thanks a lot for this. Here's my question if you know...is there any practical difference b/t the lcsw and the lcsw c in those states in which they both exist i.e can't they both run a private mental health counseling practice?

My suggestion is to contact each state's board to see how social workers are regulated in each state. The thing is, some states regulate bachelor level social workers and some don't, some require comp exams during MSW school and some don't. My understanding is that a Licensed Certified Social Worker is a master's level social worker who works under the supervision of an LCSW-C, similar to an MFT intern.In California, where I work, they are referred to as ASW, or associate clinical social worker. Once they have finished their 3200 hours and taken the national clinical exam (or the state exam in California), an LCSW becomes LCSW-C (an ASW becomes an LCSW in California). At this level, both now are able to work independently and put up their shingle.