Difference between MD and DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildCat5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot find an answer on these forums, but I am going back to school for something in this field, whethere it be MD, DO, PT, or Chiro. What is the main diff between a DO and and MD? thank you for your help, I am just gathering information as I make life changing decisions.

Members don't see this ad.

sle3pyguii should be banned from admission to all medical schools by calling Wikipedia "the next best source." Truly sad that people actually consider Wikipedia a decent source of any kind :(

Other than the FAQ's on this website, the search function on this site, any Osteopathic medical schools' website probably has a section on "the DO difference."

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot find an answer on these forums, but I am going back to school for something in this field, whethere it be MD, DO, PT, or Chiro. What is the main diff between a DO and and MD? thank you for your help, I am just gathering information as I make life changing decisions.

MD's & DO's take the exact same classes, except DO's take an additional class in OMM (osteopathic manipulative medicine.) They are eligible for the same jobs and residencies upon graduation.

sle3pyguii should be banned from admission to all medical schools by calling Wikipedia "the next best source." Truly sad that people actually consider Wikipedia a decent source of any kind :(

Other than the FAQ's on this website, the search function on this site, any Osteopathic medical schools' website probably has a section on "the DO difference."

Banned from admission to all medical schools?! Let me guess, you were in the drama club in highschool, right? Wikipedia shouldn't be used in many situations, but for a general definition, like in this case, it is fine. About 100X better than just having a random person on a forum type out what they think it is...

To the OP, I remember someone saying before: "DOs are overglorified chiropractors." Think about that. And to everyone else, that poster, and I, am joking. The FAQ is working again, but I don't want to paste everything from it.

I guess sarcasm doesn't come off very well on the internet sometimes...& negative on the drama club.

Still though...Wikipedia:thumbdown:

I guess sarcasm doesn't come off very well on the internet sometimes...& negative on the drama club.

Still though...Wikipedia:thumbdown:

Haha. I agree that wiki isnt the best source for a lot of things. Hell, my English professor told us if we cited Wiki on one of our papers, we'd get an automatic E. i just thought it'd be good for a general definition.

can someone link me to the facts page...tys...srry...

srry i neve really looked into do schools until today, what is like the avg mcat and gpa or range for admitted students?
-tys

srry i neve really looked into do schools until today, what is like the avg mcat and gpa or range for admitted students?
-tys

It is variable from school to school. Some schools have an average MCAT of 24, whereas others have an average of 29.

Average GPA typically approximate 3.5-3.6.

This is highly variable, however.

tys...so i guess avg gpa and mcat differs alot...

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright thank you. As for any of you non-tradional med students in this section, how long do you think it would take to do the medical prereqs considering i have to do chem, physics, org chem, and bio. i have a degree in exercise science and have completed anat. and phys. 1 and 2 already.

you could always do chem, physics, and bio together during the fall and spring semesters and then take organic over that summer and have it all done within a year if u really wanted

2 letters

hahahahahhaha .... I liked that. But, if you are refering just the two letters in general MD vs DO I think ( if we don't count order ) it would only be one, the O vs the M ..... either way, this made me laugh

Are there more non-trad students in DO programs?

According to Stephen Shannon, D.O., president of the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine:

Significantly, osteopathic students tend to be older than allopathic students and have more life experience, says. Shannon. The attraction works both ways: Osteopathic schools seek out a certain type of student, he says. “We look for mature individuals who are sure what their path in life will be. Many…are coming to medicine as a career change. They are often former high-school teachers or people with previous experience in the health professions—EMTs, physician’s assistants, former military medics.”

Actually,Wikipedia is about as good a source of accurate information as Britannica, the venerable standard-bearer of facts about the world around us, according to a study published by the journal Nature. http://www.nature.com/news/2005/051212/full/438900a.html