difference between MPH and MHS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashylips

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
in terms of possible careers afterwards, what's the difference between an MPH and an MHS? is one better than the other for the global health field?

Members don't see this ad.

Ummm... not sure what you're asking here. Are you talking about the MSPH (Master of Science in Public Health)or the MHSA (Master of Health Service Administration)? I'm not quite sure about what the MHS is.

Maybe this thread can answer your questions...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=134533

Best,
H&T

the MHS is what's offered by Johns Hopkins for non-professional students (i think)

Info about MHS

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm... the MHS offered looks just like the MPH to me, so to call it an alternative seems weird. I see it as more of an analogue. I'd call the school and find out the difference. With the description, you could argue the same things for the MPH. If you find the difference, please let us know here. :)

I researched some of these alternatives. For instance, at UIC they're starting an MHA program that looks very similar to their MPH on the surface. Apparently, the difference is one is much more business and economics-focused. Perhaps that is the difference with your program?

There seem to be many options with different concentrations. I selected my program because it fits well with my interests (prevention).

The Hopkins MPH has changed in the past few years but the deal is, more or less, that the MPH is a masters in public health and is not specific to any department, although now you do define a concentration in a department. The MHS is a masters degree conferred by individual departments and has different requirements by dept. For Epidemiology, you have to do a thesis, although I think it can be a library review or very basic analysis. More in-depth data driven theses will get you an MSc (Masters in Science).

Having worked overseas, I thought the MPH was more recognizable but among those in the field, the MHS works just as well. The MPH is more of a generalist's degree. Most importantly, the MPH at Hopkins is one (*intensive*) year while the MHS degrees can be 1 or 2 years, depending on department. Also, the MPH program requires at least two years professional experience while the MHS degrees generally do not.

Long winded, sorry- its late...

thanks, uptoolate.
if you could go back and choose between an MPH or MHS, which one would you do? i know it's your own personal thing, but i'm just curious. i have no knowledge about the MHS, but i started to look into it because i'd be applying right after i finish my undergrad (thus, no professional experience)

ashylips said:
thanks, uptoolate.
if you could go back and choose between an MPH or MHS, which one would you do? i know it's your own personal thing, but i'm just curious. i have no knowledge about the MHS, but i started to look into it because i'd be applying right after i finish my undergrad (thus, no professional experience)

Its hard for me to say, not knowing what you want to do. If you want to go to Hopkins, you would have to do the MHS right now without 2 years work experience. ( BTW- Peace Corps and similar programs count towards experience and cross-cultural experience and language proficiency is a major plus. ) I applied to both, technically not legal, but my circumstances let it happen. I ended up doing the MPH and then staying on to do my Ph.D. In retrospect, I thought the MPH was a better route because I was considered a doctoral student during my second year while I would have had to spend the second year on a thesis before I could end up at the same status as an MHS student. However, its very difficult to break into a PhD program without work/research experience so I would take some time and work first IF that were an interest to you.

Second note: The MHS is very subject specific, so if you are interviewing for jobs, say in health education, and you have an MHS in Epidemiology, they are less likely to look favorably on your application. If you have an MPH that focused on Epi but you want the health ed job, its less easy to exclude you. Its more of a generalist's degree. Does that make sense? I think it depends on how committed you are to a certain field. Some programs, like Population & Family Health or International Health, are more of a conglomeration of methodologies than other departments and the MHS is more comparable to the generalizability of the MPH within those fields ( but that's probably my opinion more than fact). I know people with MHS's in nutrition that were able to cross fields into health ed-doesn't happen as much with more methodology specific MHS degrees. Too much info?

In short, the MHS is becoming as well known as the MPH so I think you will find work with either degree. Just think about what you want to do a bit- you'll have to for the application process anyway.

Again...long winded...sorry.
Good luck!

I have a MHS...if I had to do it all over again, I would've gone for the experience requirement and applied for the MPH. There's nothing wrong with the MHS program - you are in the same classes as the MPH students (which is a plus if you're all about the education and life experience, a minus if you're trying to get the GPA for med school.) It is usually 1 year, depending on the department. MPH is usually 2 years. It's generally considered more of a springboard to another degree or for people who want public health knowledge to supplement another career. The Dean of the school, however, has done pretty well with his MD/MHS.

I still haven't decided if I should stick with my MHS or go for a MPH or MPHTM. The way I'm thinking about it, is that if I end up wanting to do something more public health-related, I'll do a MPH...I've forgotten all my biostats anyway. :)

So it's been more than a month since this thread was last updated, but I hope this helps! Good luck!