Difference BLS/ALS/ACLS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sella.turcica

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

so I've been wondering about some of the, perhaps international, differences between ALS (Advanced Life Support) and ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support). To me it seems as if ALS is how they call it in Europe and ACLS is how we do it in the U.S. Is that true? If not, what are the differences and is someone who is certified in one automatically certified in the other?

The other thing I was wondering is if someone who is certified in ACLS or ALS, are they then automatically proficient/"certified" in BLS (Basic Life Support)? To me it seems like BLS is already included in the ALS/ACLS training, however, the AHA says "No, BLS is not included in AHA’s ACLS courses." (Course FAQs). Not sure why that should be? Could someone explain please?

Members don't see this ad.

Dunno about Europe. ACLS certification includes BLS usually in most courses but it is technically a separate thing yes.

Hi,

so I've been wondering about some of the, perhaps international, differences between ALS (Advanced Life Support) and ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support). To me it seems as if ALS is how they call it in Europe and ACLS is how we do it in the U.S. Is that true? If not, what are the differences and is someone who is certified in one automatically certified in the other?

The other thing I was wondering is if someone who is certified in ACLS or ALS, are they then automatically proficient/"certified" in BLS (Basic Life Support)? To me it seems like BLS is already included in the ALS/ACLS training, however, the AHA says "No, BLS is not included in AHA’s ACLS courses." (Course FAQs). Not sure why that should be? Could someone explain please?

Technically BLS is a prerequisite to ACLS.

There are other ALS protocols in addition to ACLS including
PALS (peds)
ACLS - EP (experienced provider)
ATLS (trauma)
ABLS (burn)
AMLS (Advanced Medical Life Support, I think usually only prehospital providers get this one.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Technically BLS is a prerequisite to ACLS.

There are other ALS protocols in addition to ACLS including
PALS (peds)
ACLS - EP (experienced provider)
ATLS (trauma)
ABLS (burn)
AMLS (Advanced Medical Life Support, I think usually only prehospital providers get this one.)
BLS is a pre-req but it is a distinct course and when you get ACLS certified, your BLS expiration date does not change if you were previously BLS certified so you can wind up being ACLS certified but not BLS certified.

Yes it should be included based on logic, but it’s not. Hospitals require you to take both bls and acls. I have to do both every few years... even if I haven’t picked up a stethoscope in the last decade.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Lame. At my place it is only required to have acls if you want to have moderate sedation privileges. No bls requirement and no acls if you aren't going to do your own sedation (I just get the ed folks to sedate the patient if I want to do something there, and it isn't worth the effort to do anything on the regular floors so I just take them to the or for local/mac for anything that has already made it upstairs.

As for the op, I have only heard of ambulances being designated as als versus bls and only matters to me as a doctor when I have to transfer a patient somewhere and need to know what things they can provide during transport for each.

BLS: CPR + defibrillation with an AED, aka "CPR for Healthcare Professionals".
Also BLS: Basic Life Support ambulance, an ambulance staffed with EMT-Bs that can provide basic first aid, oxygen, epi-pens, carries an AED.

ALS: Really just means an ALS ambulance, meaning one staffed with paramedics that can do IVs, give meds, intubate, etc. In the UK it means what we call ACLS in the US.

ACLS (advanced cardiac life support) is the course for treating cardiac emergencies.

The ACLS course assumes you have a working knowledge of BLS CPR, which is why they're taught separately. When I was in EMS we needed to recert on both.

That was helpful. Thank you all for your input!

hello guys!

If I am certified by ERC on BLS, I am not automatically certified in the US over the same field.
Although I can see that ERC recognizes BLS certificates by AHA, I can not find such an information about AHA.
So my question is: Is there any way to recognize my BLS certificate provoded by ERC in the US??

Thank you!

hello guys!

If I am certified by ERC on BLS, I am not automatically certified in the US over the same field.
Although I can see that ERC recognizes BLS certificates by AHA, I can not find such an information about AHA.
So my question is: Is there any way to recognize my BLS certificate provoded by ERC in the US??

Thank you!

Probably not.

THe bottom line is who cares. BLS is so easy to get anyway just redo it. If recertifying in BLS is is a problem, then we have an even bigger problem.

you are totally right my friend! Its not the case though.. I have been asked if I am certified in BLS in the US. I am currently in Europe in a country where I can not take an AHA OR redcross course. So I want to be honest in my response. Thats the purpose of my question.

you are totally right my friend! Its not the case though.. I have been asked if I am certified in BLS in the US. I am currently in Europe in a country where I can not take an AHA OR redcross course. So I want to be honest in my response. Thats the purpose of my question.

It doesn't make any sense to want US certification unless you are in a third worldcountry without their own good standard I guess.

Who asks about BLS? So weird. Maybe a trip to USA would be worthwhile for another reason and you could knowck that out in a few hours.

It doesn't make any sense to want US certification unless you are in a third worldcountry without their own good standard I guess.

Who asks about BLS? So weird. Maybe a trip to USA would be worthwhile for another reason and you could knowck that out in a few hours.

If I had to guess, I would say it's for a clinical elective in the states.