Difference btw pre-req years and professional years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwakster928

A Legal Drug Dealer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reading posts and got me real confused when people told me they are in first year of pharmacy school and taking gen chem and bio. soon to realize that they are in six year program. can we please verify where we are when we come to this topic again? real pharmacy school starts when you enter your professional years. so could we say i am in P1(professional year 1) P2 etc? instead of linking all pre-req years and professional years together? for the pre-req years we can say pre-req year 1? but i think it is stupid..

Members don't see this ad.

I hear ya man!! I think we should ban all those people that got into 6 years programs. :D They got nothing to worry about, their lives are pretty much set for the next 5/6 years. I still have to worry about what school will accept me. :( btw, just for classification purpose, I will be pre-req 2 this fall.

i agree w/ you too. people w/ 6 year programs are the luckiest pharmacy students in the universe!! i am not questioning their intelligence or capabilities. i just think keeping 2.9 or 2.75 during their pre-req year is hell lot easier than getting 3.3 or 3.5 and plus pharmacy experience or other things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my god, this is the first i'm hearing of 6 year pharm programs and I hate (ok fine....envy) all that are in it already.

Just imagine, not having to maintain a min. 3.5 gpa......that would be heaven!

I believe that not everyone who gets into a 6-year or 5-year program actually get into the professional part of pharmacy school. From what I know about UOP, you still have to interview in order to get into actual pharmacy school. One of the pharmacists where I work can remember people who didn't get in... this is just at UOP though...

Hi!

I have heard that University of Michigan - COP is accepting 20 students each year right out of High School in to the 6-year program. So, after they complete their pre-requisities they can automatically get into the Professional program.

University of Michigan only accept 60-65 students each year for Pharm.D. So, what I am thinking is they already have that 20 students and so now they only have to accept 40 more students each year.

I am not sure about this process.

If it makes you feel any better, I am SO GLAD I did not go straight into pharmacy school. I got a BS in psych, a subject I love, had a great time in school, took lots of fun and interesting classes, lived in Italy where I taught English to children for school credit and then backpacked through 12 countries, had plenty of time for a social life and for EC activities, etc. Now that I'm in the professional program and have one year under my belt, I realize that although I am taking the long way, I am happy I did because I did not have "fun" this past year - I was way too busy studying and working. I would never have had the opportunities I did if I had chosen any other way, and for me, it's been great :)

At Rutgers, if you are in the 6 year all you have to maintain is a 2.7. (Actually it might be a little lower than that) You are guaranteed a spot in the pharmacy school as long as you fulfill that requirement. I'm not a pre-pharm or pharm student (med myself) however, a majority of my friends are enrolled in this program.

6 year programs must end!!! jk.. but those stats makes us look little incompetent. i started to think that in order for us to be competitve and get quality student, all the application process should be only for professional years. 2.7 or lower is just unbelivable!! those numbers would not get you into any of the schools who are admitting professional year students. was 6 year program established due to pharmacy school's fear of not getting enough applicants? when did this 6 year thing got started.. i get little upset when pharmacy program is catagorized as a 6 year joke program but it is really not. it is just like the other health profession 4 years of professional school. what do you guys think? flame me if you want.

p.s. if 6 year programs up the standards little say maintain 3.3 or above, plus 75 % composite on pcat i think they deserve the spot at least. it is still lower than the current applicants who gets accepted into professional year only schools.

By the way if I didn't mention it already, people in the 6 year do not have to take the pcats either. It kind of sucks, some of the people in the program keep the bare minimum gpa while my friend attempted to apply this past semester with a 3.9 gpa and was rejected because they had too many in the pharmacy program.

bgreet said:
By the way if I didn't mention it already, people in the 6 year do not have to take the pcats either. It kind of sucks, some of the people in the program keep the bare minimum gpa while my friend attempted to apply this past semester with a 3.9 gpa and was rejected because they had too many in the pharmacy program.

NOW THAT'S B$%L S$%T!!!! sorry for the caps. that pisses me off.

I agree with Spacecowgirl, I also have a degree in Psy and im glad that i didnt enter straight into pharmacy school. I enjoyed my years at college and took a variety of courses. I met alot of great friends as well. And for me, i think i needed that time to decide what to do with my life. At first i was considering going into psychology, maybe counseling, probably getting the psyd. Then i realized that just didnt suit me, and decided that pharmacy would be a better choice. I guess its great for those in high school to know what they want to do, but i didnt decide until my 4th year of college. In high school i did very well and im sure i wouldve been accepted to a program for pharmacy had i applied, but im glad i am in school now.

I dont think there is anything wrong with 6 year programs, the students are still learning the material, there may just be less pressure to get high grades. Im a firm believer in grades arent everything. Sometimes students may know the material but have trouble with tests, or the teachers testing methods. The goal is to know the material and thats the most important.