You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
difference in editions of Dipiro book
Started by psurocks
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
absolutely not...its the same crap in new and improved packaging....just write out a check to caverject with the amount of money I saved you
I thought the 5th edition looked better. Nice, ominously red...looked scary. The new one is lame....fancy shiny cover with a more modern font....bleh.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A new edition is coming out this summer That will make the 5th edition completely obsolete. In my class, no one has the 5th edition, even though the 6th edition was just released the year prior.
http://www.amazon.com/Pharmacothera...=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198247967&sr=1-7
http://www.amazon.com/Pharmacothera...=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198247967&sr=1-7
and why is the 5th edition "completely obsolete"?A new edition is coming out this summer That will make the 5th edition completely obsolete. In my class, no one has the 5th edition, even though the 6th edition was just released the year prior.
http://www.amazon.com/Pharmacothera...=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198247967&sr=1-7
You just don't use two edition past drug reference books.
I've seen the 5th edition, and noticed some differences from my 6th edition book.
So many drugs have been introduced since the 5th edition (2002). While the differences between 5th and 6th edition might not be significant, the differences between 5th and 7th edition might be more significant.
I've seen the 5th edition, and noticed some differences from my 6th edition book.
So many drugs have been introduced since the 5th edition (2002). While the differences between 5th and 6th edition might not be significant, the differences between 5th and 7th edition might be more significant.
why not? It's the same material...and most pharmacy schools offer notes or lectures to suppliment the books
Either way, the book is useless.
Either way, the book is useless.
Wow, I have to purchase Dipiro for this spring and onward, why is it useless?
I never had a book in pharmacy school that was useful....except for medical terminology...that one was useful. For all the other classes, the professors give you detailed notes that are, like, 20 pages of powerpoints for each subject. Rarely looked at the book....I didn't really need to.
It depends on the school. I had to use the book for a couple of my classes because for our problem solving lab sometimes we would have topics which had not been covered yet. Also, I did not want to bring a pile of notes.
The material does change. I was doing my residency shadowing, and while I was in the office, I noticed they had a 4th edition DiPiro. I was bored, and so, I flipped through it. I flipped to the COX-2 inhibitor section, and it was saying they were such great drugs with low ADRs.
For some subjects, like Calculus and basic physics, the material does not change much, but if you are planning on using the DiPiro as a reference, a few years can make a difference in terms of material.
Anyway, your university library should have a copy of it on reserve. You can take a look at it and make your choice.
The material does change. I was doing my residency shadowing, and while I was in the office, I noticed they had a 4th edition DiPiro. I was bored, and so, I flipped through it. I flipped to the COX-2 inhibitor section, and it was saying they were such great drugs with low ADRs.
For some subjects, like Calculus and basic physics, the material does not change much, but if you are planning on using the DiPiro as a reference, a few years can make a difference in terms of material.
Anyway, your university library should have a copy of it on reserve. You can take a look at it and make your choice.
I never had a book in pharmacy school that was useful....except for medical terminology...that one was useful. For all the other classes, the professors give you detailed notes that are, like, 20 pages of powerpoints for each subject. Rarely looked at the book....I didn't really need to.
Well, I have to agree to some extent. I never opened Foye, the review of organic paper back was cool, never opened my public health book, DEENT we only needed the powerpoint slides. I guess I just have a fear that I will need the textbook one night and panic if I dont have it.😳
Well, I have to agree to some extent. I never opened Foye, the review of organic paper back was cool, never opened my public health book, DEENT we only needed the powerpoint slides. I guess I just have a fear that I will need the textbook one night and panic if I dont have it.😳
I think part of the problem is you just have sooo much to study before you even think about reading the book that it's nearly impossible to ever get to the readings. With that being said, if you can read ahead of time, it really does help. You have to stay on top of it from day 1 though or you'll never catch up with the readings. I personally found DiPiro to be quite helpful, especially on topics that I needed a little extra help with.
Did you see the other thread on the "mini" DiPiro? It's a great book and much easier to read than the big one.
I think part of the problem is you just have sooo much to study before you even think about reading the book that it's nearly impossible to ever get to the readings. With that being said, if you can read ahead of time, it really does help. You have to stay on top of it from day 1 though or you'll never catch up with the readings. I personally found DiPiro to be quite helpful, especially on topics that I needed a little extra help with.
Did you see the other thread on the "mini" DiPiro? It's a great book and much easier to read than the big one.
I certainly agree with you on the keeping up. I kept up enough to get what I needed to do more than "just pass", but I never had time to read. I didnt see that thread, but I will look it up. Thanks!
I guess in reality I did have time to read, because I always found time to watch the Cowboys, but life goes on outside of the books as well, right? (trying to convince myself)
"Double Post"
Internet grimlins
Internet grimlins
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm still using my 5th edition even after the 7,8 AND9th editions come out. Seriously. Its not changing that much. Sure there are new drugs but how many new classes have come out that shake up the step-wise therapy that much? I', sure teknura has blown dipiro 5th apart. and all the pathphysiology is now obsolete casue in the past 4 years all it has all been disproven. Im sure the 7th will still say metformin for first line DM type II and HCTZ first line for HTN, and ASA for all diabetic and cardiac patients. thing don't change that much and any new ground breaking information you can fit in where needed. If anything Ill just get update ID and oncology guide casue they do change yearly
Hi,
If anyone wants the Pharmacotherapy book by DiPiro 6th ed (black hardcover) and the accompanying casebook. Both in very good condition. I want to sell both for $120 (negotiable) PM me!
If anyone wants the Pharmacotherapy book by DiPiro 6th ed (black hardcover) and the accompanying casebook. Both in very good condition. I want to sell both for $120 (negotiable) PM me!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 425
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K